Val Skelton has been a home-based freelancer for six years. She is the programme director of the annual conference Internet Librarian International and the editor of ILI365/Information Today Europe – a website of news and ideas for innovative librarians. She works with Phil Bradley Training – providing affordable and flexible training for librarians. Her editorial clients include ClearBox and Martin White/Intranet Focus. She can be found on LinkedIn, on Twitter and contacted via email email@example.com
Articles by Val Skelton:
My Favourite Tipples from a freelance editor and conference director
Wednesday, 23rd August 2017
My Favourite Tipples are shared by Val Skelton, an editor and conference programme director specialising in the information management field. She shares her favourite online sources in areas from keeping up with breaking news to collaborative working.
As the FreePint Topic Series: Best Practices in Information Skills Development concludes, co-producers Sarah Huibregtse and Val Skelton highlight key themes that have emerged from the series. These include the evolution of the user, the constant shift of organisational priorities, needs analysis and development of objectives, skills development strategies, changes in delivery methods, and building partnerships. Additionally, some initial thoughts regarding the skills development strategy research are shared.
Achieving Engaging Training at Low Cost
Monday, 22nd June 2015
Val Skelton and Sarah Huibregtse, co-producers of the FreePint Topic Series "Best Practices in Information Skills Development", highlight some of the latest articles from the series and considers the place that competency-based training, video, and open courses have in today's training programmes.
Narrowing the Skills Gap
Wednesday, 3rd June 2015
Co-producers of the Topic Series "Best Practices in Information Skills Development", Val Skelton and Sarah Huibregtse, look at the articles, webinars and Community of Practice events yet to come in the series. Upcoming articles will cover flexible pathways to learning, using video in training, and using competency-based strategies to develop your information team.
Developing Skills for Ourselves, Team and End Users
Thursday, 21st May 2015
As we reach the mid-way point of our Topic Series "Best Practices in Information Skills Development", series co-producers Sarah Huibregtse and Val Skelton reflect on how content is addressing the way training can plug business-critical skills gaps, guidance for information professionals who are training service teams and end-users, and how information leaders can grasp training opportunities for their own continuing professional development.
Reports by Val Skelton:
Best Practices in Information Skills Development
Wednesday, 15th July 2015
This end of series report collects selected articles, producers" commentary and a full thematic index of content from the FreePint Topic Series "Best...
Document the value chain, and transform the way you think about, manage and report on your product portfolio and your information service contributions to your organisation goals.
Director of Research Robin Neidorf describes the benefits of a Consulting Pilot on Value Chain, to tailor this process to your needs and environment:
- Research update - what's your focus in 2021?
Thursday, 7th January 2021
- Research update - peeking around the corner to 2021
Thursday, 17th December 2020
- Research update - what can you leverage in 2021?
Thursday, 3rd December 2020
- Mini review of M-Brain's Intelligence Plaza
Monday, 18th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (value - purchasing, development and competitor landscape)
Thursday, 14th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (technology - search & user interface; outputs & alerts; administration)
Wednesday, 13th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight
Monday, 11th January 2021
- Market landscape - patent products
Monday, 21st December 2020
- Product review of TRG Screen's Quest
Friday, 18th December 2020
- Negotiation clinic - role-play and Q&A (Community) Tuesday, 13th April 2021
- Usage data in contract negotiations (Community) Tuesday, 23rd March 2021
- Pricing models for information and data licensing (Community) Tuesday, 2nd March 2021
- Comparative product evaluation - breaking it down into manageable pieces (Webinar) Tuesday, 19th January 2021
- The importance of current awareness tracking (Webinar) Tuesday, 12th January 2021
- State of the Industry, 2021 (Webinar) Tuesday, 5th January 2021