Colin Smith is content director at Africa Alert, a news-monitoring service that tracks key business, economic and development topics in Africa. Africa Alert monitors news and specialist websites across Africa, as well as key international sources, to identify stories that are relevant to clients. Colin has extensive experience in the online business information market, including managerial roles for a number of leading business information companies, including Dow Jones, Thomson Reuters, Factiva and Finsbury Data Services both in UK and US. His areas of expertise include content management and taxonomy.
In addition, Colin has worked in the voluntary, health and clinical research sectors and holds a degree in economic history from Loughborough University. He can be contacted here.
Articles by Colin Smith:
My Favourite Tipples from a specialist Africa researcher
Wednesday, 23rd May 2018
My Favourite Tipples are shared by Colin Smith of Africa Alert. As an expert researcher of news and data across the continent, Colin shares some of his go-to online tools for keeping up with developments in Africa.
News literacy - are we battling an age of misinformation?
Friday, 21st July 2017
How can organisations educate their staff so that they can distinguish between facts and social media speculation, identify a reliable source and whether there is a trade-off between the currency of news and its accuracy? Business information consultant, Colin Smith, discusses the importance of news literacy in the age of misinformation and what the various news aggregation platforms are doing to help identify inaccurate news.
Insider knowledge - researching Russia
Tuesday, 14th February 2017
Business information consultant Colin Smith shares his knowledge of researching the Russian Federation. He focuses on business, economic and trade topics and highlights key English-language sources of information.
Standards and ethics in the use of big data
Wednesday, 30th November 2016
Business information consultant Colin Smith shares his knowledge on the standards and ethics which users of big data and data analytics need to be aware of. He focuses on company, business and economic topics and highlights key sources of information published in English.
Insider knowledge - researching North Africa
Monday, 24th October 2016
Business information consultant Colin Smith shares his knowledge of researching North Africa, in particular Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco and Tunisia. He focuses on company, business and economic topics and highlights key sources of information published in English.
Five newly recorded webinars on how to complete the activities in our Focus on Value Chain now available.
Express value the way stakeholders do with Value Chain analysis
"I can now sit in a meeting with my stakeholders and articulate the role information plays in their workflows. They understand our contribution to their success." Information Senior Scientist, heavy manufacturing industry
With Jinfo Consulting, you get accountability, fine-tuned guidance and industry-wide perspective.
- Capacity comes from strategy
Wednesday, 15th September 2021
- Tie portfolio value to commercial impact
Monday, 13th September 2021
- Theory, practice, and demonstrating ROI
Thursday, 9th September 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step five - your evolution work plan)
Wednesday, 11th August 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step four - assess your team’s characteristics)
Tuesday, 22nd June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step three - envision your Known Fors)
Thursday, 10th June 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - make progress on your evolution, with your peers
Friday, 23rd July 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - examples of Pillars of Service and Known Fors
Wednesday, 23rd June 2021
- Community deck - scorecards - how information teams are designing and using them
Wednesday, 2nd June 2021
- Investment philosophies for strategic portfolio management (Community) Thursday, 2nd December 2021
- Negotiation role-play for content licensing professionals (Community) Thursday, 7th October 2021
- Teeing up value-based budget conversations for content licensing (Community) Tuesday, 21st September 2021
- Value Chain (step five - putting the Value Chain together) (Webinar) Tuesday, 31st August 2021
- Value Chain (step four - measurement - selecting and collecting data) (Webinar) Monday, 30th August 2021
- Value Chain (step three - your contributions to the Value Chain) (Webinar) Friday, 27th August 2021