Clare Painter is a publishing consultant specialising in practical copyright compliance and digital licensing.
Together with her team at Clare Painter Associates Ltd, she helps organisations to manage copyright and third party licences, especially where licences need to be both effective and practical. Often this means running a copyright audit to check compliance and streamline licensing processes.
Clare acts as copyright and permissions consultant at Oxford University Press Journals, and associate at award-winning licensing agency Attwooll Associates. Consultancy/training includes The Case Centre (ECCH), Emerald, IMD, Publishing Technology Beijing, Publishing Training Centre, Taylor & Francis, UNESCO. Clare publishes free copyright and licensing tips at http://clarepainterassociates.com and you can reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org
Articles by Clare Painter:
Fair principles for copyright use - fair dealing (UK) and fair use (US)
Wednesday, 4th March 2020
When quoting from other people's copyright material, permission isn't always needed. You can often rely on copyright exceptions which allow you to use short extracts, and in this article we look at some of the situations where you can do this, specifically in relation to text-based "literary" works which are protected by copyright.
Reusing your organisation's own copyright material
Wednesday, 20th November 2019
Most people are well aware that copyright issues can arise from using content belonging to other organisations - but what are the implications when reusing material that your organisation has already used?
How risky is it to reuse someone else's copyrighted material?
Monday, 2nd September 2019
With the global reach of the internet, using and sharing content online is something we all do at some point but it's important to make sure you're not infringing someone else's copyrighted material. In her latest article, Clare Painter, Jinfo's copyright expert, highlights the risks involved in reusing someone else's work and how you can minimise them.
Sharing copyright in partnerships
Tuesday, 11th June 2019
Copyright ownership generally follows the creator of the material and there is no need to register it as it takes effect as soon as the work is created. But what happens when external partners are involved in the creation of a project? This article explores some of the issues involved including ownership of the content, working with partners and what opportunities there are to repurpose your content.
Coping with international copyright
Tuesday, 9th April 2019
With the advance of the internet and its global reach, using and sharing content worldwide has never been easier. However, copyright laws differ from one country to another and whilst it would be impossible to familiarise yourself with them all, this article looks at some of the key differences between the UK, US and major European regimes to help you reduce any risk of infringing the law. It looks specifically at the differences between common and civil law, fair use and fair dealing, moral rights, registration and copyright exceptions.
Document the value chain, and transform the way you think about, manage and report on your product portfolio and your information service contributions to your organisation goals.
Director of Research Robin Neidorf describes the benefits of a Consulting Pilot on Value Chain, to tailor this process to your needs and environment:
- Research update - what's your focus in 2021?
Thursday, 7th January 2021
- Research update - peeking around the corner to 2021
Thursday, 17th December 2020
- Research update - what can you leverage in 2021?
Thursday, 3rd December 2020
- Product Review of Aurora FirstLight (value - purchasing, development and competitor landscape)
Thursday, 14th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (technology - search & user interface; outputs & alerts; administration)
Wednesday, 13th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (sources - content and coverage)
Tuesday, 12th January 2021
- Product Review of Aurora FirstLight
Monday, 11th January 2021
- Market landscape - patent products
Monday, 21st December 2020
- Product review of TRG Screen's Quest
Friday, 18th December 2020
- Negotiation clinic - role-play and Q&A (Community) Tuesday, 13th April 2021
- Usage data in contract negotiations (Community) Tuesday, 23rd March 2021
- Pricing models for information and data licensing (Community) Tuesday, 2nd March 2021
- Comparative product evaluation - breaking it down into manageable pieces (Webinar) Tuesday, 19th January 2021
- The importance of current awareness tracking (Webinar) Tuesday, 12th January 2021
- State of the Industry, 2021 (Webinar) Tuesday, 5th January 2021