Clare Painter is a publishing consultant specialising in practical copyright compliance and digital licensing.
Together with her team at Clare Painter Associates Ltd, she helps organisations to manage copyright and third party licences, especially where licences need to be both effective and practical. Often this means running a copyright audit to check compliance and streamline licensing processes.
Clare acts as copyright and permissions consultant at Oxford University Press Journals, and associate at award-winning licensing agency Attwooll Associates. Consultancy/training includes The Case Centre (ECCH), Emerald, IMD, Publishing Technology Beijing, Publishing Training Centre, Taylor & Francis, UNESCO. Clare publishes free copyright and licensing tips at http://clarepainterassociates.com and you can reach her at email@example.com
Articles by Clare Painter:
Fair principles for copyright use - fair dealing (UK) and fair use (US)
Wednesday, 4th March 2020
When quoting from other people's copyright material, permission isn't always needed. You can often rely on copyright exceptions which allow you to use short extracts, and in this article we look at some of the situations where you can do this, specifically in relation to text-based "literary" works which are protected by copyright.
Reusing your organisation's own copyright material
Wednesday, 20th November 2019
Most people are well aware that copyright issues can arise from using content belonging to other organisations - but what are the implications when reusing material that your organisation has already used?
How risky is it to reuse someone else's copyrighted material?
Monday, 2nd September 2019
With the global reach of the internet, using and sharing content online is something we all do at some point but it's important to make sure you're not infringing someone else's copyrighted material. In her latest article, Clare Painter, Jinfo's copyright expert, highlights the risks involved in reusing someone else's work and how you can minimise them.
Sharing copyright in partnerships
Tuesday, 11th June 2019
Copyright ownership generally follows the creator of the material and there is no need to register it as it takes effect as soon as the work is created. But what happens when external partners are involved in the creation of a project? This article explores some of the issues involved including ownership of the content, working with partners and what opportunities there are to repurpose your content.
Coping with international copyright
Tuesday, 9th April 2019
With the advance of the internet and its global reach, using and sharing content worldwide has never been easier. However, copyright laws differ from one country to another and whilst it would be impossible to familiarise yourself with them all, this article looks at some of the key differences between the UK, US and major European regimes to help you reduce any risk of infringing the law. It looks specifically at the differences between common and civil law, fair use and fair dealing, moral rights, registration and copyright exceptions.
Latest in this Focus: Get started adapting the model to your environment with step-by-step guidance on practical activities for strategic planning. Define your own future where information is a strategic asset to your organisation.
What clients say about Centre of Excellence:
"My colleagues and I used your Known Fors activity, and we now have a vision as to who we are going to be. We already achieved ROI... a sincere thanks!" Director of Research and Information Services, international law firm
A Jinfo Subscription gets you access to activity-based content to move your projects forward, plus dynamic peer group discussions on meaty topics.
- Research update - one process, three new tangible benefits
Thursday, 22nd July 2021
- Research update - resolve the frustrations of content portfolio management
Thursday, 8th July 2021
- Research update - what do you want to be known for?
Thursday, 17th June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step four - assess your team’s characteristics)
Tuesday, 22nd June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step three - envision your Known Fors)
Thursday, 10th June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step two - create your Pillars of Service)
Wednesday, 26th May 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - make progress on your evolution, with your peers
Friday, 23rd July 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - examples of Pillars of Service and Known Fors
Wednesday, 23rd June 2021
- Community deck - scorecards - how information teams are designing and using them
Wednesday, 2nd June 2021
- Investment philosophies for strategic portfolio management (Community) Thursday, 2nd December 2021
- Negotiation role-play for content licensing professionals (Community) Thursday, 7th October 2021
- Teeing up value-based budget conversations for content licensing (Community) Tuesday, 21st September 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step four - assess your team’s characteristics) (Webinar) Tuesday, 22nd June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step three - envision your Known Fors) (Webinar) Thursday, 10th June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step two - create your Pillars of Service) (Webinar) Wednesday, 26th May 2021