Lawrence (Larry) Rafsky is chairman and chief scientist of Acquire Media, known for developing advanced algorithms and methodologies in digital news.
Teams under his direction developed Telerate News Search, WSJ Interactive Company Search, and NewsEdge v8. Custom news applications developed include mission-critical systems for Business Wire, Market News, McClatchy, PR Newswire, The PA, and Tribune.
He founded FAME, a leader in time-based data analysis. He held research and managerial positions at Bell Labs, Citicorp, IDD Dow Jones, and ADP.
He has published in top journals, including Econometrica; he won the American Statistical Association"s Theory & Methods Award for a paper on graphics, and his multivariate analysis contributions include Friedman-Rafsky"s test, a widely-used statistical procedure. He holds an AB from Princeton, and a PhD from Yale, both in statistics.
Articles by Larry Rafsky:
The Building Blocks of Visualisation - Part 2 of 2
Thursday, 2nd April 2015
In the second part of his article tackling the new and existing techniques for visualisation, Larry Rafsky, chairman and chief scientist at Acquire Media delves into some of the most important forms of visualisation in NewsEdge such as tag clouds (word cloud combined with isomap), Venn diagrams and concentric Venn diagrams. Through a series of examples he illustrates how these can identify fresh insights. He also gives a taste of new visualisations in the pipeline.
The Building Blocks of Visualisation - Part 1 of 2
Monday, 30th March 2015
Larry Rafsky, chairman and chief scientist at Acquire Media, outlines how technology can provide news insight through mining a fresh set of data using exploratory tools such as visualisation and statistical graphic techniques. He also explains how visualisation can help researchers arrive at additional conclusions that might have been missed, to fuel further investigations or to grasp the news media with new understanding.
Five newly recorded webinars on how to complete the activities in our Focus on Value Chain now available.
Express value the way stakeholders do with Value Chain analysis
"I can now sit in a meeting with my stakeholders and articulate the role information plays in their workflows. They understand our contribution to their success." Information Senior Scientist, heavy manufacturing industry
With Jinfo Consulting, you get accountability, fine-tuned guidance and industry-wide perspective.
- Capacity comes from strategy
Wednesday, 15th September 2021
- Tie portfolio value to commercial impact
Monday, 13th September 2021
- Theory, practice, and demonstrating ROI
Thursday, 9th September 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step five - your evolution work plan)
Wednesday, 11th August 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step four - assess your team’s characteristics)
Tuesday, 22nd June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step three - envision your Known Fors)
Thursday, 10th June 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - make progress on your evolution, with your peers
Friday, 23rd July 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - examples of Pillars of Service and Known Fors
Wednesday, 23rd June 2021
- Community deck - scorecards - how information teams are designing and using them
Wednesday, 2nd June 2021
- Investment philosophies for strategic portfolio management (Community) Thursday, 2nd December 2021
- Negotiation role-play for content licensing professionals (Community) Thursday, 7th October 2021
- Teeing up value-based budget conversations for content licensing (Community) Tuesday, 21st September 2021
- Value Chain (step five - putting the Value Chain together) (Webinar) Tuesday, 31st August 2021
- Value Chain (step four - measurement - selecting and collecting data) (Webinar) Monday, 30th August 2021
- Value Chain (step three - your contributions to the Value Chain) (Webinar) Friday, 27th August 2021