Irene Koren is head of Insensis and provides business research services to global companies. She is an expert in competitive and business intelligence, acquired in 20+ years at top management consultancy firms such as KPMG, McKinsey&Co and Roland Berger Strategy Consultants. A member of SCIP, she is also co-founding partner of OneAnswer, a pan-European network of business and CI researchers. In her spare time Irene enjoys tennis, social media, practising her language skills when travelling, or reading contemporary literature.
Articles by Irene Koren:
A deeper dive into Porter's Five Forces
Friday, 8th June 2018
We recently gave an overview of the frameworks researchers can use to help them structure their work and this article explores further Porter's Five Forces model and how it can be used to address important questions by giving tips on the best primary and secondary sources available. It also covers the threat of new entrants and substitutes, bargaining powers of buyers and the competitive landscape.
My Favourite Tipples from a European intelligence expert
Wednesday, 9th May 2018
My Favourite Tipples are shared by Irene Koren, a competitive and business intelligence expert based in Belgium. Irene shares her favourite online tools for international trade, strategic consulting and keeping up with news.
How to build a good issue tree for your research
Tuesday, 1st May 2018
Issue trees are often used in consulting to structure a project. This article highlights when you can use them in your daily research, how to make them and explains some of the advantages of using them. It also gives some examples and tools you can use to help you build an issue tree.
Using research frameworks to solve strategic questions
Monday, 16th April 2018
This article concentrates on three key research frameworks (Porter's Five Forces, PESTEL, and value chain analysis) to illustrate how they can improve the research question and how you can work with them.
How to hone your research strategy
Tuesday, 27th February 2018
When you receive a new research project it's tempting to start straight away, especially with time constraints and other pressures, but it's important to take some time at the start to plan your research. A good plan can more than halve your actual research time. This article offers some practical steps you can take to better prepare yourself, including managing your time and user expectations as well as the availability of resources.
Latest in this Focus: Get started adapting the model to your environment with step-by-step guidance on practical activities for strategic planning. Define your own future where information is a strategic asset to your organisation.
What clients say about Centre of Excellence:
"Jinfo's Pillars of Service and Known Fors activities feed our overall mission and vision. Everything we do has to align with these, and if it doesn't, we ask the question, 'Why are we doing this?' We can communicate more effectively what we do and move away from the transactional view. Let me stress... there is a huge return on this work. It allows us to chart our own destiny." Director of Information Services, pharmaceutical industry
A Jinfo Subscription gets you access to activity-based content to move your projects forward, plus dynamic peer group discussions on meaty topics.
- Capacity comes from strategy
Wednesday, 15th September 2021
- Tie portfolio value to commercial impact
Monday, 13th September 2021
- Theory, practice, and demonstrating ROI
Thursday, 9th September 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step five - your evolution work plan)
Wednesday, 11th August 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step four - assess your team’s characteristics)
Tuesday, 22nd June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step three - envision your Known Fors)
Thursday, 10th June 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - make progress on your evolution, with your peers
Friday, 23rd July 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - examples of Pillars of Service and Known Fors
Wednesday, 23rd June 2021
- Community deck - scorecards - how information teams are designing and using them
Wednesday, 2nd June 2021
- Investment philosophies for strategic portfolio management (Community) Thursday, 2nd December 2021
- Negotiation role-play for content licensing professionals (Community) Thursday, 7th October 2021
- Teeing up value-based budget conversations for content licensing (Community) Tuesday, 21st September 2021
- Value Chain (step five - putting the Value Chain together) (Webinar) Tuesday, 31st August 2021
- Value Chain (step four - measurement - selecting and collecting data) (Webinar) Monday, 30th August 2021
- Value Chain (step three - your contributions to the Value Chain) (Webinar) Friday, 27th August 2021