Martin Murtland is a senior executive with over 20 years in product and management roles in the digital content sector. Currently, he works as a consultant advising companies on monetising their content and data. He also serves as a board advisor to iCrowdNewswire, a cloud-based communications service. Recently, he was at PR Newswire, where he successfully re-launched their cloud-based platform.
Previously, Martin worked for Dow Jones in various global roles including building a high growth business and award winning products. Martin has been quoted in publications including the Financial Times and is a contributor to "Supporting Strategy: Frameworks, Methods & Models". Martin earned his MBA with distinction from Warwick University (UK). LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/martinmurtland
Articles by Martin Murtland:
Disaggregation between software and content
Friday, 21st September 2018
"Content is king" used to be the adage but with the easy availability of free content, this is no longer the case. This article looks at the changing consumption patterns of content and particularly the pros and cons of consuming content via software only vendors, such as Comintelli and InfoDesk, as opposed to vendors that provide both software and content, such as Factiva, NewsEdge and Nexis. It also considers user needs and pricing as factors in the decision-making process.
How to get your project on the product development roadmap
Tuesday, 3rd July 2018
Many information professionals struggle to get their project implemented and in this article Martin Murtland explains the product development process and how you can effectively sell your project. He gives an overview of the software development methodologies and some of the drawbacks as well as some practical steps you can take to ensure success.
Using signal media and artificial intelligence in news
Friday, 8th September 2017
The analysis of news to identify signals and triggers is not new, but it is increasingly important and is finding application beyond the world of finance as the techniques are used to help identify misleading news items. In this article, Martin Murtland explores the technology and techniques used in news signal identification as well as highlighting providers such as Lexalytics, Clarabridge, InferLink, Sysomos and Open Calais.
An overview of the fast-developing data analytics landscape (part 2)
Wednesday, 14th December 2016
When assessing providers of data analytics platforms, the main considerations are what is important to your company and the business problems you are trying to solve. As part of Jinfo's current Research Focus, "Data analytics - ready your information service", Martin Murtland continues with part 2 of his article by highlighting what to look for in a potential provider. He also shares lessons learnt, highlights key trends to watch and gives an overview of some of the key platform providers such as Microsoft, Tableau, Qlik, Alteryx, Birst, SAP and SAS.
An overview of the fast-developing data analytics landscape (part 1)
Tuesday, 13th December 2016
Data analytics platforms may be becoming crucial for competitive advantage as companies strive to make better business decisions faster. Martin Murtland offers advice on selecting a data analytics platform. He looks at changes in buyer behaviour driving what vendors provide and takes a practical look at the benefits and challenges of such platforms.
Five newly recorded webinars on how to complete the activities in our Focus on Value Chain now available.
Express value the way stakeholders do with Value Chain analysis
"I can now sit in a meeting with my stakeholders and articulate the role information plays in their workflows. They understand our contribution to their success." Information Senior Scientist, heavy manufacturing industry
With Jinfo Consulting, you get accountability, fine-tuned guidance and industry-wide perspective.
- Capacity comes from strategy
Wednesday, 15th September 2021
- Tie portfolio value to commercial impact
Monday, 13th September 2021
- Theory, practice, and demonstrating ROI
Thursday, 9th September 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step five - your evolution work plan)
Wednesday, 11th August 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step four - assess your team’s characteristics)
Tuesday, 22nd June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step three - envision your Known Fors)
Thursday, 10th June 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - make progress on your evolution, with your peers
Friday, 23rd July 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - examples of Pillars of Service and Known Fors
Wednesday, 23rd June 2021
- Community deck - scorecards - how information teams are designing and using them
Wednesday, 2nd June 2021
- Investment philosophies for strategic portfolio management (Community) Thursday, 2nd December 2021
- Negotiation role-play for content licensing professionals (Community) Thursday, 7th October 2021
- Teeing up value-based budget conversations for content licensing (Community) Tuesday, 21st September 2021
- Value Chain (step five - putting the Value Chain together) (Webinar) Tuesday, 31st August 2021
- Value Chain (step four - measurement - selecting and collecting data) (Webinar) Monday, 30th August 2021
- Value Chain (step three - your contributions to the Value Chain) (Webinar) Friday, 27th August 2021