Product review of Data Planet
17th August 2020
Data Planet is an online statistical aggregation database with an extensive collection of public and private data covering a wide range of economic, political and social science topics. The product offers access to the data via a suite of visualisation, search, and analysis capabilities and is primarily used by US academic libraries but with the potential to be used in a more commercial setting.
It was acquired by the global academic publisher, SAGE Publishing, in 2018 to complement its own statistical databases. Data Planet says it is the largest aggregator of statistical data in the world. This product review focuses on the Data Planet Statistical Datasets.
This product review:
- Offers an overview of the product and company, its key advantages and the value derived by its users, particularly those in US academic libraries
- Looks at its vast collection of data sources, including over 157 billion datapoints, 12.6 billion datasets, over 500 source databases and over 80 data providers, all vetted and from reputable sources
- Explores the product's technological capabilities, with a particular focus on The Data Planet Statistical Datasets and its search functionality, as well as the product's export options and administrative portal
- Highlights the help and training that's available to its users, including a number of well-designed tutorials
- Looks at its two main competitors, Statista and ProQuest's Statistical Premium Collection and compares its key features as well as offering a brief look at some of the freely available offerings such as DataHub, Google Dataset Search and Google Public Data Explorer
- Finds out about the company's development plans, including an overhaul of the user interface.
By Andrew Lucas
Access to Jinfo articles and reports is a benefit of a Jinfo Subscription.
Does your organisation have a Jinfo Subscription?
"Yes, we subscribe"
Please sign in here so that we can check your access to this item:
Submit the Subscription Question form to find out if someone in your organisation already has a subscription or to discuss your questions or requirements.
Or use the 'Text Chat' button at the bottom-right of this page for immediate assistance.
- Report title: Product review of Data Planet
- Pages: 19
- Link to this page
- View printable version
- Product review of Data Planet (value - help & training; competitors; development)
Thursday, 20th August 2020
- Product review of Data Planet (technology - search & user interface; outputs & alerts; administration)
Wednesday, 19th August 2020
- Product review of Data Planet (sources - content & coverage)
Tuesday, 18th August 2020
- Product review of Data Planet (key advantages, introduction; contact details)
Monday, 17th August 2020
Document the value chain, and transform the way you think about, manage and report on your product portfolio and your information service contributions to your organisation goals.
Director of Research Robin Neidorf describes the benefits of a Consulting Pilot on Value Chain, to tailor this process to your needs and environment:
- Research update - what's your focus in 2021?
Thursday, 7th January 2021
- Research update - peeking around the corner to 2021
Thursday, 17th December 2020
- Research update - what can you leverage in 2021?
Thursday, 3rd December 2020
- Product Review of Aurora FirstLight (value - purchasing, development and competitor landscape)
Thursday, 14th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (technology - search & user interface; outputs & alerts; administration)
Wednesday, 13th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (sources - content and coverage)
Tuesday, 12th January 2021
- Product Review of Aurora FirstLight
Monday, 11th January 2021
- Market landscape - patent products
Monday, 21st December 2020
- Product review of TRG Screen's Quest
Friday, 18th December 2020
- Negotiation clinic - role-play and Q&A (Community) Tuesday, 13th April 2021
- Usage data in contract negotiations (Community) Tuesday, 23rd March 2021
- Pricing models for information and data licensing (Community) Tuesday, 2nd March 2021
- Comparative product evaluation - breaking it down into manageable pieces (Webinar) Tuesday, 19th January 2021
- The importance of current awareness tracking (Webinar) Tuesday, 12th January 2021
- State of the Industry, 2021 (Webinar) Tuesday, 5th January 2021