James Mullan has worked in the legal sector since 2001. He is an advocate of social media tools and has been talking about how these tools can be used by information professionals and organisations since 2005. James is a Past President of BIALL and in 2009 won the Wildy-BIALL Law Librarian of the year award for his use of social media tools. Outside of work James is a keen runner and maintains his own blog called "The Running Librarian". You can follow James on Twitter @jamesmullan6 or friend him on Facebook.
Articles by James Mullan:
How technology is transforming the legal sector - key challenges and transformational changes
Monday, 24th December 2018
AI, machine learning and data analytics is already transforming information work in the legal industry. James Mullan looks at use of technology in areas from contract review to due diligence, current awareness and search. He identifies key products already in use, from Signal to iManage Ravn, Kira and Brainspace.
Intranets and the digital workplace
Monday, 11th September 2017
In a previous article, James Mullan looked at ways knowledge managers could promote intranets as a tool for knowledge sharing. In this article, James looks at how the technologies that have supported intranets have developed over the last few years and some of the trends we are seeing in how they are being used within organisations.
Choosing a KM, LMS or search tool for your law firm
Friday, 16th June 2017
In this article, James Mullan provides an overview of some of the knowledge management systems used in law firms, the drivers behind their use, and suggestions for anyone considering purchasing or investigating one of the tools mentioned. He looks at systems which can be used for enterprise search, as a library management system, collaborative solution, document automation, file management system and those which are driven by artificial intelligence and machine learning.
Using intranets to support knowledge management initiatives
Friday, 12th May 2017
This article looks at how intranets currently support knowledge sharing and knowledge management and explores some of the ways in which they could be used to provide further support in this area. James Mullan also suggests some practical steps to take if you are planning on developing your intranet to support knowledge management initiatives.
Managing Your Intranet, with the IT Department and Others
Thursday, 17th March 2016
Intranets have become the subject of much speculation in recent years, but what is clear is that when it comes to their management, no two companies manage them in exactly the same way. The reason behind this is simple: when it comes to intranets, there are just too many potential owners and managers. So this begs the question, if you currently manage an intranet, how you can manage it effectively with other interested stakeholders including the IT department? James Mullan provides some examples and advice.
Reports by James Mullan:
FreePint Report: Making Information Visible
Friday, 1st May 2015
This end of series report collects selected articles, producers" commentary and a full thematic index of content from the FreePint Topic Series "Makin...
FreePint Report: The Social Enterprise
Sunday, 13th April 2014
This collection of FreePint articles on the topic of making organisations more socially adept covers those included in the [FreePint Topic Series: The...
Latest in this Focus: Get started adapting the model to your environment with step-by-step guidance on practical activities for strategic planning. Define your own future where information is a strategic asset to your organisation.
What clients say about Centre of Excellence:
"Jinfo's Pillars of Service and Known Fors activities feed our overall mission and vision. Everything we do has to align with these, and if it doesn't, we ask the question, 'Why are we doing this?' We can communicate more effectively what we do and move away from the transactional view. Let me stress... there is a huge return on this work. It allows us to chart our own destiny." Director of Information Services, pharmaceutical industry
A Jinfo Subscription gets you access to activity-based content to move your projects forward, plus dynamic peer group discussions on meaty topics.
- Capacity comes from strategy
Wednesday, 15th September 2021
- Tie portfolio value to commercial impact
Monday, 13th September 2021
- Theory, practice, and demonstrating ROI
Thursday, 9th September 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step five - your evolution work plan)
Wednesday, 11th August 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step four - assess your team’s characteristics)
Tuesday, 22nd June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step three - envision your Known Fors)
Thursday, 10th June 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - make progress on your evolution, with your peers
Friday, 23rd July 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - examples of Pillars of Service and Known Fors
Wednesday, 23rd June 2021
- Community deck - scorecards - how information teams are designing and using them
Wednesday, 2nd June 2021
- Investment philosophies for strategic portfolio management (Community) Thursday, 2nd December 2021
- Negotiation role-play for content licensing professionals (Community) Thursday, 7th October 2021
- Teeing up value-based budget conversations for content licensing (Community) Tuesday, 21st September 2021
- Value Chain (step five - putting the Value Chain together) (Webinar) Tuesday, 31st August 2021
- Value Chain (step four - measurement - selecting and collecting data) (Webinar) Monday, 30th August 2021
- Value Chain (step three - your contributions to the Value Chain) (Webinar) Friday, 27th August 2021