Fiona is library manager for EMEA at Reed Smith LLP. Before that, Fiona combined freelance law librarianship with a role as head of customer relations at Linex Systems - giving her experience from both the supplier and consumer sides.
Previous roles include managing the information, research and intranet teams at Baker Tilly; and the library and information centre at Baker & McKenzie.
Fiona has written a number of articles for magazines, mostly on the topic of negotiation. Her book, "Negotiating Licences for Digital Resources", is published by Facet.
Articles by Fiona Fogden:
My Favourite Tipples from researcher to aviator
Wednesday, 4th October 2017
My Favourite Tipples are shared by Fiona Fogden, an information manager in a global law firm. She shares her go-to resources in areas from shipping to cross-border legal queries.
Are niche news sources disrupting traditional news aggregators?
Thursday, 14th September 2017
This article looks at the value provided by niche news sources that fall outside of the collections picked up by aggregators such as Nexis and Factiva. We also consider how specialist sources such as Lloyd's List, TradeWinds and Fairplay (in the shipping sphere) are identified, who makes the judgement call about the value and relevance of the content, and why they are given priority budgetary approval. We also ask if this can lead to other problems in procurement or organisation-wide content provision and how it will impact on news aggregators.
How to satisfy your internal stakeholders for current awareness
Thursday, 10th August 2017
Each user is unique in the way they consume current awareness. We can get valuable insights into the priorities and fears of users by grouping them and identifying how they typically engage with news, alerts and updates. This article takes a lighthearted but insightful look at a few stereotypical groups of users within a law firm in order to see how our library patrons needs differ and the priorities for the information centre in dealing with those different needs.
Establishing a new current awareness service - challenges and opportunities
Friday, 26th August 2016
The procurement of a current awareness solution often makes sense to those overseeing complex and demanding news alert services. However, justifying it to the powers that be is not always simple. Fiona Fogden presents the process she went through to convince stakeholders and gain approval for the project at law firm Reed Smith. She concludes with a practical structure that may be used in a business case along with some thoughts about the implementation phase and next steps.
My Favourite Tipples from a Library Manager in a Global Law Firm
Wednesday, 18th November 2015
My Favourite Tipples are shared by Fiona Fogden, library manager for EMEA at Reed Smith LLP. She shares her favourite online resources in areas from homeworking to digital information curation and reliable sources of guidance & information.
Five newly recorded webinars on how to complete the activities in our Focus on Value Chain now available.
Express value the way stakeholders do with Value Chain analysis
"I can now sit in a meeting with my stakeholders and articulate the role information plays in their workflows. They understand our contribution to their success." Information Senior Scientist, heavy manufacturing industry
With Jinfo Consulting, you get accountability, fine-tuned guidance and industry-wide perspective.
- Capacity comes from strategy
Wednesday, 15th September 2021
- Tie portfolio value to commercial impact
Monday, 13th September 2021
- Theory, practice, and demonstrating ROI
Thursday, 9th September 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step five - your evolution work plan)
Wednesday, 11th August 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step four - assess your team’s characteristics)
Tuesday, 22nd June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step three - envision your Known Fors)
Thursday, 10th June 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - make progress on your evolution, with your peers
Friday, 23rd July 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - examples of Pillars of Service and Known Fors
Wednesday, 23rd June 2021
- Community deck - scorecards - how information teams are designing and using them
Wednesday, 2nd June 2021
- Investment philosophies for strategic portfolio management (Community) Thursday, 2nd December 2021
- Negotiation role-play for content licensing professionals (Community) Thursday, 7th October 2021
- Teeing up value-based budget conversations for content licensing (Community) Tuesday, 21st September 2021
- Value Chain (step five - putting the Value Chain together) (Webinar) Tuesday, 31st August 2021
- Value Chain (step four - measurement - selecting and collecting data) (Webinar) Monday, 30th August 2021
- Value Chain (step three - your contributions to the Value Chain) (Webinar) Friday, 27th August 2021