RBI and Centaur results show B2B future is online
Saturday, 19th November 2011
Right on cue following Tim Buckley Owen’s recent post on the B2B publishing sector, two of the UK’s largest B2B publishers have announced their interim results. And, true to IRN Research’s predictions, there is some growth in the sector, albeit limited.
Reed Business Information, owners of trade journal stalwarts, such as Farmers Weekly, Estates Gazette and New Scientist, grew revenues by one per cent in the nine months to 30 September this year. This very moderate growth however was not due to any print publications, rather it was its data services group, consisting of Accuity, the AML and compliance solutions tool and Totaljobs – no surprise there - that put in a strong performance.
The company’s other risk management tool LexisNexis Risk Solutions posted a four per cent rise, while LexisNexis Legal & Professional grew by one per cent, proving that compliance workflow tools remain the name of the game in the information world.
Print journal publishing however seems to be going nowhere, proven by Centaur Media’s latest quarterly statement. The publisher of The Lawyer and Marketing Week announced revenues across the group of nine per cent up on the same period last year, with the digital and events divisions showing the most promising growth rates – see a report in journalism.co.uk here. Print publications accounted for just two per cent growth.
Both RBI and Centaur Media have undergone restructuring this year to respond to the decline in print advertising. Centaur closed its long-standing print editions of New Media Age and Design Week and turned them into digital-only publications, while RBI sold off a couple of its well-known titles called Community Care and Computer Weekly.
While it is clear that in their results publishers are mirroring the continuing difficult economic climate, growth can be achieved with astute restructuring and shifting of emphasis towards online journals and data services that serve business customers.
Document the value chain, and transform the way you think about, manage and report on your product portfolio and your information service contributions to your organisation goals.
Director of Research Robin Neidorf describes the benefits of a Consulting Pilot on Value Chain, to tailor this process to your needs and environment:
- Research update - what's your focus in 2021?
Thursday, 7th January 2021
- Research update - peeking around the corner to 2021
Thursday, 17th December 2020
- Research update - what can you leverage in 2021?
Thursday, 3rd December 2020
- Mini review of M-Brain's Intelligence Plaza
Monday, 18th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (value - purchasing, development and competitor landscape)
Thursday, 14th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (technology - search & user interface; outputs & alerts; administration)
Wednesday, 13th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight
Monday, 11th January 2021
- Market landscape - patent products
Monday, 21st December 2020
- Product review of TRG Screen's Quest
Friday, 18th December 2020
- Negotiation clinic - role-play and Q&A (Community) Tuesday, 13th April 2021
- Usage data in contract negotiations (Community) Tuesday, 23rd March 2021
- Pricing models for information and data licensing (Community) Tuesday, 2nd March 2021
- Comparative product evaluation - breaking it down into manageable pieces (Webinar) Tuesday, 19th January 2021
- The importance of current awareness tracking (Webinar) Tuesday, 12th January 2021
- State of the Industry, 2021 (Webinar) Tuesday, 5th January 2021
Our proven processes, resources and guidance will help your team make the shift from transaction centre to strategic asset.
Designed around the most common challenges and pain points for time- and resource-strapped information teams
A tailored overview of our research and active discussion with your Jinfo analyst.
Measure your starting point to articulate your strengths and set priorities for future improvements. Assessments gauge risk, capacity, value and more.
Read case studies, and start the conversation: