Finding that missing email? Priceless!
Monday, 28th November 2011
As regularly as Thanksgiving or Christmas, reports come round showing how we’re overwhelmed with information and usually touting their own solutions. Sure enough, here come not one but two – but do they really tell us anything about the bigger picture?
IT heads receive on average 15 requests a week from colleagues who need to get hold of old or archived emails. Almost half of those surveyed confessed that they had no IT solution for ensuring they could get hold of them when they needed them, even though almost one in five said that the information locked in old emails was “priceless”.
Unsurprisingly the United States based company that commissioned the survey, GFI Software, has its own answer to this in the form of archiving, back-up and security solutions. And so too does the British information mapping software provider Mindjet.
Mindjet’s survey (navigate to 23 November) also starts with emails, noting that a third of them go unread and finding that each employee spends two weeks a year searching for information they know they’ve seen but can’t now find, costing businesses over £1,200 per year per person. Mindjet’s fix is collaborative work management solutions, and it provides a Data Mass Index Calculator to help you decide whether you’re coping or not.
Solutions like these may well confer benefits – but we need to look at the bigger picture before deciding on the best answer to what is by now an all-pervasive problem. In a recent article in EContent magazine, Martin White put the challenges implied by these two small surveys into their proper context.
Crucially, it’s not just a technology problem. Drawing on a McKinsey report published earlier this year (LiveWire comment here), Martin emphasised that the issue was as much one of analytical and managerial talent as it was technology, adding that “the intersection of structured and unstructured information is the place to be at present”.
So what next? Well, maybe information professionals do need to get in on the shock horror findings act too if they are to demonstrate to decision makers the damage that can be done if good use isn’t made of an enterprise’s information management skills. And if you’re in the financial services sector, a new survey being run by the iconoclastic Register newsletter may be one place to start.
Making sure people have the information they need when they need it is the best way to improve productivity, the Register finds – but there’s a “yawning chasm” between reality and the desired state. It’s currently running a survey to try to find out just how bad things are and – if previous comments are anything to go by – it likes responses from non-IT folk. Worth a try?
Latest in this Focus: Scorecards. Use Jinfo's step-by-step methodology to craft scorecards to strengthen negotiations, communicate with stakeholders, compare value of products and manage your portfolio more strategically.
What's your priority?
Use our self-assessment worksheet to determine your pathway towards more strategic portfolio management:
A Jinfo Subscription gets you access to activity-based content to move your projects forward, plus dynamic peer group discussions on meaty topics.
- Research update - solve three problems when you develop scorecards
Thursday, 6th May 2021
- Research update - start with scorecards - adapt and adopt, for far-reaching benefit
Thursday, 22nd April 2021
- Research update - the content licensing "dream team"
Thursday, 8th April 2021
- Crafting a scorecard (step four - document scores)
Thursday, 22nd April 2021
- Crafting a scorecard (step three - design your scoring system)
Wednesday, 21st April 2021
- Crafting a scorecard (step two - select components)
Thursday, 15th April 2021
- Community deck - negotiation clinic - role-play and Q&A
Monday, 26th April 2021
- Community deck - usage data in contract negotiations
Thursday, 1st April 2021
- Community deck - pricing models for information and data licensing
Monday, 8th March 2021
- Scorecards - how information teams are designing and using them (Community) Tuesday, 25th May 2021
- Negotiation clinic - role-play and Q&A (Community) Tuesday, 13th April 2021
- Usage data in contract negotiations (Community) Tuesday, 23rd March 2021
- Scorecards - designing and documenting scoring systems (Webinar) Tuesday, 20th April 2021
- Scorecards - setting goals and priorities (Webinar) Tuesday, 20th April 2021
- Comparative product evaluation - breaking it down into manageable pieces (Webinar) Tuesday, 19th January 2021
Our proven processes, resources and guidance will help your team make the shift from transaction centre to strategic asset.
Designed around the most common challenges and pain points for time- and resource-strapped information teams
A tailored overview of our research and active discussion with your Jinfo analyst.
Measure your starting point to articulate your strengths and set priorities for future improvements. Assessments gauge risk, capacity, value and more.
Read case studies, and start the conversation: