FreePint for Manufacturing
Wednesday, 4th November 2015
Information centres in manufacturing environments are often more lightly staffed than their counterparts in biopharma or legal environments. This makes it all the more crucial to make effective use of resources, whether controlled by the information centre or not. Libby Trudell highlights items of interest to information professionals in the manufacturing field from the recent FreePint Series "All about Usage", including best practices for working across the organisation, enabling authentication and managing usage rights.
In recent conversations with a group of information professionals from manufacturing firms, a couple of challenges kept surfacing:
- One was the importance of working effectively with their information technology (IT) colleagues
- The other was the ongoing challenge of providing efficient, consistent access to full text, whether it is licensed through journal subscriptions or acquired on-demand.
Partnering with IT
Technology-based projects such as deployment of enterprise content management systems or social media tools are critical to the information centre’s mission, but the budget and implementation are often managed by IT.
In addition, IT policies can place constraints on information service delivery, making it difficult for users to download applications to their desktops or gain access to licensed content when not on the company’s internal network.
Differing perspectives held by IT and the information centre teams may lead to missed opportunities. The FreePint Topic Series "Strategic Alignment of IS and IT" running from January to March 2016 will tackle this very issue. Register for regular updates and a registrants' report.
Meanwhile, in her article "Setting Strategy with FreePint Research - Looking at the Big Picture", Sophie Alexander provides tips on how to partner effectively with IT, across a variety of organisational structures.
Isabelle Garcia ‘s article on approaches to authentication and other recent FreePint reports help information professionals navigate in a world where user demand for mobile access is in conflict with corporate security requirements.
Getting Full Text to Users
There is a technology component to the full text issue, as Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) and links may not be captured fully or remain live when transferred from one context (i.e. repository or reference management tool) to another.
Even when links work, there may be rights management issues, as engineers and other users may use or share content for which the organisation does not have enterprise rights.
Many aspects of these challenge were addressed by FreePint experts in the last three months, including interviews with copyright management agencies and product reviews of user tools for managing documents and references.
We also carried out research into web content policies, the first part ("Why Care about Use of Web Content?") has already been published.
If you have a FreePint Subscription, you have access to all our Content. Click any link below to login to view, save or share any item, register for webinars, and download reports. If not, or if you're not sure, click here to find out more about a FreePint Subscription.
Our Content is the broad platform through which we publish research-based insights. Community provides the environment to discuss them with peers. Consulting tailors the insight to your needs. Find the right FreePint Subscription level to meet your needs.
Recent Subscription Content of particular interest to our customers in manufacturing companies:
- FreePint Survey into Web Usage Policies - Part 1 (Why Care about Use of Web Content?)
- Mini Review of F1000Workspace
- Trends in Content & Data Usage
- Q&A with CLA – Copyright Compliance in Multinational Business
- RightFind XML for Mining - a Q&A with Copyright Clearance Center (CCC),
- Introduction and Overview of Content Management systems (CMS)
- Use your Public Exhibition Space to Market Your Services
- Towards a Perfect Procurement Process
- We Want to, But Can We? Usage Needs and Contractual Concerns
- FreePint Report: Product Review of RefME
- FreePint Report: Research into Authentication 2015
- FreePint Report: Product Review of Factiva
- FreePint Report: Review of PatentAdvisor
Webinars - recordings available to view for anyone with a FreePint Subscription
- Corporate Market for Ebooks; A Look at the Research
- Authentication Primer: Which Approach Does What?
- Recommit to Risk Management: A Strategic Value Information Practitioners Can Deliver
Webinars - upcoming
- What We Learned About Usage 16th - 18th November
Document the value chain, and transform the way you think about, manage and report on your product portfolio and your information service contributions to your organisation goals.
Director of Research Robin Neidorf describes the benefits of a Consulting Pilot on Value Chain, to tailor this process to your needs and environment:
- Research update - what's your focus in 2021?
Thursday, 7th January 2021
- Research update - peeking around the corner to 2021
Thursday, 17th December 2020
- Research update - what can you leverage in 2021?
Thursday, 3rd December 2020
- Mini review of M-Brain's Intelligence Plaza
Monday, 18th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (value - purchasing, development and competitor landscape)
Thursday, 14th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (technology - search & user interface; outputs & alerts; administration)
Wednesday, 13th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight
Monday, 11th January 2021
- Market landscape - patent products
Monday, 21st December 2020
- Product review of TRG Screen's Quest
Friday, 18th December 2020
- Negotiation clinic - role-play and Q&A (Community) Tuesday, 13th April 2021
- Usage data in contract negotiations (Community) Tuesday, 23rd March 2021
- Pricing models for information and data licensing (Community) Tuesday, 2nd March 2021
- Comparative product evaluation - breaking it down into manageable pieces (Webinar) Tuesday, 19th January 2021
- The importance of current awareness tracking (Webinar) Tuesday, 12th January 2021
- State of the Industry, 2021 (Webinar) Tuesday, 5th January 2021
Our proven processes, resources and guidance will help your team make the shift from transaction centre to strategic asset.
Designed around the most common challenges and pain points for time- and resource-strapped information teams
A tailored overview of our research and active discussion with your Jinfo analyst.
Measure your starting point to articulate your strengths and set priorities for future improvements. Assessments gauge risk, capacity, value and more.
Read case studies, and start the conversation: