My Favourite Tipples from a corporate researcher
Wednesday, 18th October 2017
By Sarah Hinton
My Favourite Tipples are shared by Sarah Hinton, who is in charge of business intelligence at Science Group plc. She shares her go-to resources in areas from finding email addresses to information on VC activity and start-ups.
As a researcher looking for business intelligence across a wide range of sectors, often to tight deadlines, it's useful to have a varied "hit list" of sites that can help with specific aspects of the various searches I carry out.
- Mailtester: It's not so hard to find executives at companies these days, but finding an accurate email address can be another matter. Mailtester is an email verification tool which comes in handy for doublechecking email addresses.
- Seeking Alpha: This site can help with creating company profiles, allowing me to take a deeper dive into a company's activities through transcripts of their investor presentations. It also offers some useful opinion on where a company's strategy might be focusing.
- New Atlas: Formerly Gizmag, this is a great site for the latest news on all things science & technology. Their email newsletter is one of my favourites; nicely formatted and easy to scan.
- CB Insights Research: CB Insights has rapidly become a top source for information on the venture capital and start-up world. While not everything on this research blog links to free material, the coverage is very current, entertainingly written and relevant to my work.
- Daily Cartoon from New Yorker: I love a good cartoon and the boards around my desk are fairly well covered with ones that I have selected over the course of many years. If I start getting too stressed and serious they always make me smile and remind me what life's really about.
An article in Jinfo which I found particularly interesting:
- I found Willem (Bill) Noorlander's two articles on "How information services can best work with procurement" very interesting and insightful. His examination of the various aspects to consider when negotiating with suppliers is very useful and true-to-life.
Contribute your "My Favourite Tipples"
- Blog post title: My Favourite Tipples from a corporate researcher
- Link to this page
- View printable version
- Part 1 - How information services can best work with procurement
Wednesday, 20th September 2017
- Mini Review of CB Insights for Sales
Monday, 23rd May 2016
"I never before fully appreciated the role the information service plays in R&D productivity and innovation. This isn't something that benefits our department; this is something that benefits the whole of R&D."
You can make the impact of information on successful R&D visible and measurable, with Value Chain analysis.
Let us help you map Jinfo's Focus areas to your particular challenges with information strategy and operations.
- Gain confidence and trust through new vocabulary
Wednesday, 13th October 2021
- Manage your content portfolio for risk
Monday, 11th October 2021
- Is your content advisory board primed for strategy in 2022?
Thursday, 7th October 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step five - your evolution work plan)
Wednesday, 11th August 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step four - assess your team’s characteristics)
Tuesday, 22nd June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step three - envision your Known Fors)
Thursday, 10th June 2021
- Community deck - teeing up value-based budget conversations for content licensing
Thursday, 30th September 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - make progress on your evolution, with your peers
Friday, 23rd July 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - examples of Pillars of Service and Known Fors
Wednesday, 23rd June 2021
- Investment philosophies for strategic portfolio management (Community) Thursday, 2nd December 2021
- Negotiation role-play for content licensing professionals (Community) Thursday, 7th October 2021
- Teeing up value-based budget conversations for content licensing (Community) Tuesday, 21st September 2021
- Value Chain (step five - putting the Value Chain together) (Webinar) Tuesday, 31st August 2021
- Value Chain (step four - measurement - selecting and collecting data) (Webinar) Monday, 30th August 2021
- Value Chain (step three - your contributions to the Value Chain) (Webinar) Friday, 27th August 2021
Our proven processes, resources and guidance will help your team make the shift from transaction centre to strategic asset.
Designed around the most common challenges and pain points for time- and resource-strapped information teams
A tailored overview of our research and active discussion with your Jinfo analyst.
Measure your starting point to articulate your strengths and set priorities for future improvements. Assessments gauge risk, capacity, value and more.
Read case studies, and start the conversation: