Sarah Hinton is in charge of business intelligence at Science Group plc, comprising five businesses covering the medical, consumer, food & beverage, industrial and oil and gas sectors. She began her career in government libraries and moved into the corporate sector 20 years ago working as a solo information specialist. She has represented the business sector on CILIP"s Information Literacy committee and contributed a chapter for The Information Literacy Cookbook (Chandos, 2007). She blogs at The Disruptive Searcher.
Articles by Sarah Hinton:
Insider knowledge - researching oil and gas
Tuesday, 6th March 2018
Despite the rise of various forms of renewable energy, oil and gas are still the dominant forms of energy. Oil has numerous applications in products we use on a daily basis. The oil and gas industry is critical to the economy of many countries, which often brings it into conflict with policies designed to reduce climate change. As a result, there is a wealth of information on all aspects of the industry and this article provides an overview of how and where to search for information on the sector, from governmental and non-governmental bodies, industry associations, journals, specialist publishers of market data and statistics.
My Favourite Tipples from a corporate researcher
Wednesday, 18th October 2017
My Favourite Tipples are shared by Sarah Hinton, who is in charge of business intelligence at Science Group plc. She shares her go-to resources in areas from finding email addresses to information on VC activity and start-ups.
Mini review of ScienceDirect Reference Module in Food Science
Thursday, 29th September 2016
We review the recently released Reference Module in Food Science from Elsevier's ScienceDirect platform, the world's largest electronic collection of science, technology and medicine full-text and bibliographic information. Researcher Sarah Hinton outlines its key advantages, usability and considers competitors such as Wiley and the CRC Handbook series from the Taylor & Francis Group.
Is It Worth Paying for Premium News Sources?
Wednesday, 12th November 2014
Sarah Hinton considers the impact of free sources for news and whether paying for premium news aggregators can be justified when there are free news and sector-specific sources available.
Evaluating Premium News Services Against Free Sources
Wednesday, 5th November 2014
Sarah Hinton describes the steps she took to evaluate her premium news aggregation service against the free alternatives - and the decision she made. She offers useful tips for anyone interested in evaluating the value their premium service offers.
Five newly recorded webinars on how to complete the activities in our Focus on Value Chain now available.
Express value the way stakeholders do with Value Chain analysis
"I can now sit in a meeting with my stakeholders and articulate the role information plays in their workflows. They understand our contribution to their success." Information Senior Scientist, heavy manufacturing industry
With Jinfo Consulting, you get accountability, fine-tuned guidance and industry-wide perspective.
- Capacity comes from strategy
Wednesday, 15th September 2021
- Tie portfolio value to commercial impact
Monday, 13th September 2021
- Theory, practice, and demonstrating ROI
Thursday, 9th September 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step five - your evolution work plan)
Wednesday, 11th August 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step four - assess your team’s characteristics)
Tuesday, 22nd June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step three - envision your Known Fors)
Thursday, 10th June 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - make progress on your evolution, with your peers
Friday, 23rd July 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - examples of Pillars of Service and Known Fors
Wednesday, 23rd June 2021
- Community deck - scorecards - how information teams are designing and using them
Wednesday, 2nd June 2021
- Investment philosophies for strategic portfolio management (Community) Thursday, 2nd December 2021
- Negotiation role-play for content licensing professionals (Community) Thursday, 7th October 2021
- Teeing up value-based budget conversations for content licensing (Community) Tuesday, 21st September 2021
- Value Chain (step five - putting the Value Chain together) (Webinar) Tuesday, 31st August 2021
- Value Chain (step four - measurement - selecting and collecting data) (Webinar) Monday, 30th August 2021
- Value Chain (step three - your contributions to the Value Chain) (Webinar) Friday, 27th August 2021