The impact of AI and data science on news
14th December 2018
By Andrew Lucas
A key focus for information centres in many organisations is the provision of news and current awareness. The accuracy and veracity of news are increasingly being questioned in a "post-truth" world in which objective facts are considered less important in shaping public opinion than appeals to emotion and personal belief. In keeping with this theme, Jinfo recently attended an SLA Europe meeting which looked at, among other factors, the role technology plays in enabling the potential manipulation of the news and this article looks at some of the issues raised as well as offering some tips on what both information professionals and end-users can do to avoid being deceived.
Access to Jinfo articles and reports is a benefit of a Jinfo Subscription.
Does your organisation have a Jinfo Subscription?
"Yes, we subscribe"
Please sign in here so that we can check your access to this item:
Submit the Subscription Question form to find out if someone in your organisation already has a subscription or to discuss your questions or requirements.
Or use the 'Text Chat' button at the bottom-right of this page for immediate assistance.
- Article title: The impact of AI and data science on news
- Link to this page
- View printable version
- How to transform your thinking for the AI revolution
Thursday, 29th November 2018
- Using signal media and artificial intelligence in news
Friday, 8th September 2017
- News literacy - are we battling an age of misinformation?
Friday, 21st July 2017
- Product review of Factiva
Monday, 12th August 2019
Improve your negotiation position, measure performance of your portfolio of external content, and communicate more effectively with stakeholders.
A Jinfo Subscription gets you access to activity-based content to move your projects forward, plus dynamic peer group discussions on meaty topics.
- Research update - the content licensing "dream team"
Thursday, 8th April 2021
- Research update - bridging the gap between buyers and suppliers
Thursday, 25th March 2021
- Research update - our Community is your community, especially if you license content
Thursday, 11th March 2021
- Crafting a scorecard (step one - set goals and priorities)
Tuesday, 13th April 2021
- Dashboard and collaboration (use-case - intelligence)
Wednesday, 17th February 2021
- Comparison of content management features (use-case - intelligence)
Tuesday, 16th February 2021
- Community deck - usage data in contract negotiations
Thursday, 1st April 2021
- Community deck - pricing models for information and data licensing
Monday, 8th March 2021
- Community deck - State of the industry, 2021
Wednesday, 24th February 2021
- Negotiation clinic - role-play and Q&A (Community) Tuesday, 13th April 2021
- Usage data in contract negotiations (Community) Tuesday, 23rd March 2021
- Pricing models for information and data licensing (Community) Tuesday, 2nd March 2021
- Scorecards - setting goals and priorities (Webinar) Tuesday, 20th April 2021
- Comparative product evaluation - breaking it down into manageable pieces (Webinar) Tuesday, 19th January 2021
- The importance of current awareness tracking (Webinar) Tuesday, 12th January 2021