Martin White, Managing Director, Intranet Focus Ltd., is an intranet and information management strategy consultant with a global reputation. Martin has written books on information consultancy, the selection of content management software and two books on managing enterprise search applications. His latest book, Enterprise Search, was published in November 2012 and the second edition is being published in 2015.
Articles by Martin White:
Concluding the FreePint Topic Series "Making Information Visible"
Wednesday, 1st April 2015
Co-producer Martin White concludes the FreePint Topic Series "Making Information Visible" by highlighting key themes in visibility and discovery, that have emerged from the series that he and James Mullan have co-produced over the last three months. These include user-centric discovery, the information lifecycle and information visualisation. He also highlights product reviews and vendor insights.
Q&A with Martin White - Information Scientist
Tuesday, 31st March 2015
FreePint interviews Martin White, specialist in enterprise search, intranet and information management strategy. The conversation covers the origins of computer-based search applications, his definition of enterprise search, and whether we should be investing in better search technology. We also asked about his book "Enterprise Search", first published around two years ago, to find out what will be new in the second edition coming out this year.
Search is Critical to Informed Decision-Making
Monday, 16th February 2015
Martin White discusses discovery and its function within the information lifecycle. He covers areas such as why search is an essential part of decision-making and why search support teams are critical to success.
Eight Steps to Good Management for Visible Information
Tuesday, 3rd February 2015
The focus of the information lifecycle is to ensure that every item of information in an organisation can be trusted because it is clear when the information needs to be either defined as a record, or discarded. There is no agreed "standard" for the designation of the stages in this lifecycle nor is there agreement on the number of stages. The important consideration is that there is a lifecycle and a document may become more, rather than less, valuable in the course of its useful life. The term "document" is a place holder for any creative act. It could represent, for example, a video, an infographic or a presentation. Martin White looks at each element of a typical lifecycle from the viewpoint of making information more visible.
Information and opportunity: We are looking in the wrong direction
Thursday, 9th February 2012
Do you really know the extent of the information stored away in your organisation? Did you know that millions of euros are being wasted each year creating information that no one can find? Martin White reveals the shocking truth but also emphasises the golden opportunities for info pros.
Reports by Martin White:
FreePint Report: Making Information Visible
Friday, 1st May 2015
This end of series report collects selected articles, producers" commentary and a full thematic index of content from the FreePint Topic Series "Makin...
Five newly recorded webinars on how to complete the activities in our Focus on Value Chain now available.
Express value the way stakeholders do with Value Chain analysis
"I can now sit in a meeting with my stakeholders and articulate the role information plays in their workflows. They understand our contribution to their success." Information Senior Scientist, heavy manufacturing industry
With Jinfo Consulting, you get accountability, fine-tuned guidance and industry-wide perspective.
- Capacity comes from strategy
Wednesday, 15th September 2021
- Tie portfolio value to commercial impact
Monday, 13th September 2021
- Theory, practice, and demonstrating ROI
Thursday, 9th September 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step five - your evolution work plan)
Wednesday, 11th August 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step four - assess your team’s characteristics)
Tuesday, 22nd June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step three - envision your Known Fors)
Thursday, 10th June 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - make progress on your evolution, with your peers
Friday, 23rd July 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - examples of Pillars of Service and Known Fors
Wednesday, 23rd June 2021
- Community deck - scorecards - how information teams are designing and using them
Wednesday, 2nd June 2021
- Investment philosophies for strategic portfolio management (Community) Thursday, 2nd December 2021
- Negotiation role-play for content licensing professionals (Community) Thursday, 7th October 2021
- Teeing up value-based budget conversations for content licensing (Community) Tuesday, 21st September 2021
- Value Chain (step five - putting the Value Chain together) (Webinar) Tuesday, 31st August 2021
- Value Chain (step four - measurement - selecting and collecting data) (Webinar) Monday, 30th August 2021
- Value Chain (step three - your contributions to the Value Chain) (Webinar) Friday, 27th August 2021