Big Data: Providing Speed to Insight
Tuesday, 28th May 2013
The true value of big data is the ability to analyse large datasets and in a competitive business environment the time required to reach this analysis is critical. During a recent interview with Dr Phil Hastings, SVP of Marketing for Linguamatics, we came away with some practical examples of how text mining can be used to achieve "speed to insight".
Linguamatics provides text mining software and services to life sciences companies and healthcare providers. Dr Hastings observed, “What’s really interesting for a start is the fact that we can derive structure from unstructured data. Customers can use what’s already out there along with our results. This can lead to predictive models used to better inform their decisions.
"One of the things the software does is that rather than extracting text strings it can leverage ontologies, thesauri, and the grammatical structure of the text to give semantic meaning to results. The customers can use the structured data we have helped them get and go to other datasets that they may have created in an RDF triple format or similar. The combined set will be structured to their needs. This represents a nice cross over between two areas of data management."
The full interview with Phil covers a range of topics relevant to the concept of creating structured data from vast amounts of unstructured big data. In addition, we delve into some discussion about the role of information professionals in this new world and the blurring of the roles associated with information scientists and informaticians.
As Dr Hastings observes, “Thanks to text mining, the typical questions asked of information professionals, and the answers they can provide, have become a great deal more sophisticated."
FreePint Subscribers can log in to view the full article: Big Data: Speed to Insight, an Interview with Linguamatics.
Editor's Note: Big Data in Action
This article is part of the FreePint Topic Series: Big Data in Action, which includes articles, reports, webinars and resources published between April and June 2013. Learn more about the series here.
- Big Data: Speed to Insight, an Interview with Linguamatics
Tuesday, 28th May 2013
- Moving from an Info Pro To a Big Data Career: Big Deal or Big Headache?
Wednesday, 22nd May 2013
- Big Data - Time To Get Out Of Your Comfort Zone?
Monday, 13th May 2013
- Big Data and the Enterprise Information Professional
Friday, 17th May 2013
- Big Data is All Around Us
Thursday, 9th May 2013
"I never before fully appreciated the role the information service plays in R&D productivity and innovation. This isn't something that benefits our department; this is something that benefits the whole of R&D."
You can make the impact of information on successful R&D visible and measurable, with Value Chain analysis.
Let us help you map Jinfo's Focus areas to your particular challenges with information strategy and operations.
- Gain confidence and trust through new vocabulary
Wednesday, 13th October 2021
- Manage your content portfolio for risk
Monday, 11th October 2021
- Is your content advisory board primed for strategy in 2022?
Thursday, 7th October 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step five - your evolution work plan)
Wednesday, 11th August 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step four - assess your team’s characteristics)
Tuesday, 22nd June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step three - envision your Known Fors)
Thursday, 10th June 2021
- Community deck - teeing up value-based budget conversations for content licensing
Thursday, 30th September 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - make progress on your evolution, with your peers
Friday, 23rd July 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - examples of Pillars of Service and Known Fors
Wednesday, 23rd June 2021
- Investment philosophies for strategic portfolio management (Community) Thursday, 2nd December 2021
- Negotiation role-play for content licensing professionals (Community) Thursday, 7th October 2021
- Teeing up value-based budget conversations for content licensing (Community) Tuesday, 21st September 2021
- Value Chain (step five - putting the Value Chain together) (Webinar) Tuesday, 31st August 2021
- Value Chain (step four - measurement - selecting and collecting data) (Webinar) Monday, 30th August 2021
- Value Chain (step three - your contributions to the Value Chain) (Webinar) Friday, 27th August 2021
Our proven processes, resources and guidance will help your team make the shift from transaction centre to strategic asset.
Designed around the most common challenges and pain points for time- and resource-strapped information teams
A tailored overview of our research and active discussion with your Jinfo analyst.
Measure your starting point to articulate your strengths and set priorities for future improvements. Assessments gauge risk, capacity, value and more.
Read case studies, and start the conversation: