FreePint for Professional Services
Tuesday, 22nd September 2015
By Jan Sykes
"Usage" is a term information professionals, including those in professional services firms, tend to use in a very general way, so FreePint has undertaken a deep dive into specific aspects of usage. What resources are being used? How can eResources be accessed more easily? Are users complying with usage terms and conditions? What do we learn about user preferences and behaviours from examining usage data?
Expanding the Concept of Usage
Knowledge workers have access to virtually limitless information resources today; can this be both a blessing and a curse?
In the bigger scheme of things, abundant information and data resources are the raw material for most organisations and they afford significant business value so it is imperative to manage access and use efficiently.
In ongoing conversations with clients in the professional services sector, we learn that they are increasingly concerned that users access trustworthy and current data and information in a manner that is as seamless and effortless as possible... and then use those resources within the terms of information provider licences.
FreePint has recently delved into this topic from the perspective of various stakeholders.
IT personnel along with vendors, information professionals, and entrepreneurial software developers all have a vested interest in improving authentication protocols and tools for resources directed to small numbers of users or the entire enterprise from any device and from any location. The simpler it is to access subscription resources, the more likely they will be incorporated into day to day workflows, driving usage and return on investment, to say nothing of improved user satisfaction.
Monitoring usage data reveals opportunities for information managers to open new conversations with users such as suggesting complementary resources or training.
Risks Associated with Inappropriate Usage
Information professionals are equally concerned that some business decisions are being based on free internet resources of questionable provenance, especially as budgets for information products and services are tightly managed. Although information professionals do not relish the “copyright police” role, they take seriously their responsibility to ensure that risks of inappropriate sharing or illegal downloading are minimised.
To add to the complexity, licences for datasets require new licensing strategies.
The key to moving forward in step with more resources and more tools is to make usage, in all its forms, a component of your information management strategy. FreePint’s current Topic Series, "All About Usage - From Content Sharing to Data Mining", explores these issues and more in detail.
If you have a FreePint Subscription, you have access to all our Content. Click any link below to login to view, save or share any item, register for webinars, and download reports. If not, or if you're not sure, click here to find out more about a FreePint Subscription.
Our Content is the broad platform through which we publish research-based insights. Community provides the environment to discuss them with peers. Consulting tailors the insight to your needs. Find the right FreePint Subscription level to meet your needs.
Recent Subscription Content of particular interest to our customers in professional services firms:
- All About Usage - the Content Journey
- We Want To, But Can We? Usage Needs and Contractual Conditions
- Respecting the Ownership of Knowledge
- At the Commercial Frontier with Text and Data Mining
- Approaches to Authentication
- Q&A with Eduserv - OpenAthens for Authentication
- Mini Review of Onelog - Electronic Resource Management
- Towards a Perfect Procurement Process
- Setting Strategy with FreePint Research - Looking at the Big Picture
- FreePint Report: Subscription Update for Information Services Management
- FreePint Report: Product Review of Attensa
- FreePint Report: Research into Authentication 2015
- FreePint Report: Product Review of EditorEye
- FreePint Report: Best Practices in Information Skills Development
- FreePint Report: Research Into Skills Development 2015
Webinars - recordings available to view for anyone with a FreePint Subscription
- Authentication Primer: Which Approach Does What?
- What We Learned about Information Skills Development
- Setting Strategy with FreePint Research
- Improving Your Connection, Communication and Collaboration with IT
Webinars - upcoming
- Recommit to Risk Management: A Strategic Value Information Practitioners Can Deliver - 8th October 2015
"I never before fully appreciated the role the information service plays in R&D productivity and innovation. This isn't something that benefits our department; this is something that benefits the whole of R&D."
You can make the impact of information on successful R&D visible and measurable, with Value Chain analysis.
Let us help you map Jinfo's Focus areas to your particular challenges with information strategy and operations.
- Gain confidence and trust through new vocabulary
Wednesday, 13th October 2021
- Manage your content portfolio for risk
Monday, 11th October 2021
- Is your content advisory board primed for strategy in 2022?
Thursday, 7th October 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step five - your evolution work plan)
Wednesday, 11th August 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step four - assess your team’s characteristics)
Tuesday, 22nd June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step three - envision your Known Fors)
Thursday, 10th June 2021
- Community deck - teeing up value-based budget conversations for content licensing
Thursday, 30th September 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - make progress on your evolution, with your peers
Friday, 23rd July 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - examples of Pillars of Service and Known Fors
Wednesday, 23rd June 2021
- Investment philosophies for strategic portfolio management (Community) Thursday, 2nd December 2021
- Negotiation role-play for content licensing professionals (Community) Thursday, 7th October 2021
- Teeing up value-based budget conversations for content licensing (Community) Tuesday, 21st September 2021
- Value Chain (step five - putting the Value Chain together) (Webinar) Tuesday, 31st August 2021
- Value Chain (step four - measurement - selecting and collecting data) (Webinar) Monday, 30th August 2021
- Value Chain (step three - your contributions to the Value Chain) (Webinar) Friday, 27th August 2021
Our proven processes, resources and guidance will help your team make the shift from transaction centre to strategic asset.
Designed around the most common challenges and pain points for time- and resource-strapped information teams
A tailored overview of our research and active discussion with your Jinfo analyst.
Measure your starting point to articulate your strengths and set priorities for future improvements. Assessments gauge risk, capacity, value and more.
Read case studies, and start the conversation: