Jan Sykes has more than 20 years of sales and consulting experience in the information industry.
Currently she leads Information Management Services, Inc., an independent consultancy. Engagements are focused on information needs assessments, product evaluations, vendor contract negotiations, web content organisation, and strategic planning for information and knowledge services.
Previously, Jan served as senior director of Client Services Consulting for Knight-Ridder Information, Inc. (formerly Dialog Information Services).
Jan is active in SLA and AIIP. She has a BS from the University of WI and a MA from Middlebury College.
Additional information at: www.4Info-Management.com
Articles by Jan Sykes:
Jinfo for Professional Services
Wednesday, 30th March 2016
After investigating how organisations actually consume information, including general and business news and commodity-type information about people and companies, it is time for information experts in professional services firms to reconsider their strategy for serving the best mix of information to communities of users.
FreePint for Professional Services
Monday, 21st December 2015
Knowledge workers in professional services firms demand access to late-breaking news about clients, competitors, and market activity. With news now coming at us from every direction, it is an opportune time to search for better ways to filter out the most relevant news stories and deliver them to any device at the point of need.
FreePint for Professional Services
Tuesday, 22nd September 2015
"Usage" is a term information professionals, including those in professional services firms, tend to use in a very general way, so FreePint has undertaken a deep dive into specific aspects of usage. What resources are being used? How can eResources be accessed more easily? Are users complying with usage terms and conditions? What do we learn about user preferences and behaviours from examining usage data?
Subscription Update for Professional Services
Wednesday, 17th June 2015
Professional services firms make up a significant portion of FreePint's customer base. We work closely with our customers in this industry to produce resources that speak to their broad-based content requirements and particular needs for information strategy, procurement, skill development and collaboration with other parts of their businesses. Here we highlight recent and upcoming items from FreePint's Content, Community and Consulting.
How External Partners Can Play a Part in Training
Wednesday, 13th May 2015
Rapidly evolving technologies that support information and knowledge management activities require information professionals to continually upgrade and polish professional skills. At the same time, information professionals must make sure their work is tightly aligned with business goals of the parent organisation, so it is critical to also keep abreast of the latest management practices and resources being deployed throughout the organisation. Most organisations recognise talent development as a business priority and offer programmes in support of workforce development. Additional education resources offered by our information industry partners should also be considered, says Jan Sykes.
Five newly recorded webinars on how to complete the activities in our Focus on Value Chain now available.
Express value the way stakeholders do with Value Chain analysis
"I can now sit in a meeting with my stakeholders and articulate the role information plays in their workflows. They understand our contribution to their success." Information Senior Scientist, heavy manufacturing industry
With Jinfo Consulting, you get accountability, fine-tuned guidance and industry-wide perspective.
- Portfolio value is an inside job
Thursday, 23rd September 2021
- Capacity comes from strategy
Wednesday, 15th September 2021
- Tie portfolio value to commercial impact
Monday, 13th September 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step five - your evolution work plan)
Wednesday, 11th August 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step four - assess your team’s characteristics)
Tuesday, 22nd June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step three - envision your Known Fors)
Thursday, 10th June 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - make progress on your evolution, with your peers
Friday, 23rd July 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - examples of Pillars of Service and Known Fors
Wednesday, 23rd June 2021
- Community deck - scorecards - how information teams are designing and using them
Wednesday, 2nd June 2021
- Investment philosophies for strategic portfolio management (Community) Thursday, 2nd December 2021
- Negotiation role-play for content licensing professionals (Community) Thursday, 7th October 2021
- Teeing up value-based budget conversations for content licensing (Community) Tuesday, 21st September 2021
- Value Chain (step five - putting the Value Chain together) (Webinar) Tuesday, 31st August 2021
- Value Chain (step four - measurement - selecting and collecting data) (Webinar) Monday, 30th August 2021
- Value Chain (step three - your contributions to the Value Chain) (Webinar) Friday, 27th August 2021