Jinfo for Professional Services
Wednesday, 30th March 2016
By Jan Sykes
After investigating how organisations actually consume information, including general and business news and commodity-type information about people and companies, it is time for information experts in professional services firms to reconsider their strategy for serving the best mix of information to communities of users.
Jinfo's research topics in the last half of 2015, "All About Usage" and "News, and Other Commodities", set the stage for the current Research Focus, "Strategic Alignment of IS and IT", to be followed soon by "Source Expertise - What It Means in a Google World".
A DIY solution is what may be required to deliver the optimum mix of information.
Specialised sources within the broad collection of aggregated databases, niche content services licensed directly and free web resources can potentially be mashed together to meet very focused business needs. Armed with an understanding of usage data and patterns - for both licensed and free resources - you can curate a custom collection to enhance the productivity of your multiple user communities.
However, that DIY solution is likely to require support from your IT department: new platforms, new means of access, security reviews, and new ways of integrating the content at the desktop or via mobile devices. Given all the moving parts, a clean, straightforward user experience ultimately rests on complex technology.
Jinfo's research into the alignment of IS and IT uncovers helpful insights about why the relationship between these two departments which both possess information expertise is not always smooth. To overcome misunderstandings and ensure that both departments are working effectively together to deliver the best information, we share some of Jinfo's tips.
- Make a genuine effort to better understand how the IT department functions, including roles and priorities
- Establish a common language. IS and IT use the same words (e.g. library, tools) to mean different things
- Be sensitive to the way that requests are made of IT. Demands for "fixes" may provoke a defensive response, especially if what seems simple on the surface is actually a difficult programming task
- Leverage IS expertise in vetting and selecting sources
- Assume that both departments are working in the best interests of the organisation and when working together add greater value than when working at cross purposes.
Check out the most recent Jinfo resources of particular relevance to professional services firms - use the reference list of recent content below to jump to articles.
If you have a Jinfo Subscription, you have access to all our Content. Click any link below to sign in to view, save or share any item, register for webinars, and download reports. If not, or if you're not sure, click here to find out more about a Jinfo Subscription.
Our Content is the broad platform through which we publish research-based insights. Community provides the environment to discuss them with peers. Consulting tailors the insight to your needs. Find the right Jinfo Subscription level to meet your needs.
Recent Subscription Content of particular interest to our customers in professional services firms:
- Results from Jinfo Research into Relationships Between IS and IT Part 1 - Context, Control
- A More Structured Way of Working with IT
- The Role of Research in Realigning Your Relationship with IT
- Making Sense of the Digital Workplace
- DIY Content Aggregation - Emerging Alternatives to Traditional Databases
- A Framework for Evaluating Sources
- Increasing Relevance of Online Video for Research
- Key Subscription Sources for Financial Information
- Product Review of PrivCo
- Product Review of Research Monitor
- Product Review of Key Note
- Product Review of Cortera Pulse
- Product Review of EBSCO Business Source Corporate Plus
- Product Review of Eikon
- Product Review of Findout
- Product Review of DueDil
Webinars - upcoming
- Source Expertise and Your Value to the Business - 12th April
- Balancing "Generalist" and "Specialist" Expertise - 24th May
- Three Ways to Influence Strategy with Source Expertise - 21st June
Webinars - recordings available to view for anyone with a Jinfo Subscription
- IS and IT Make Sense of the "Digital Workplace"
- Shifting the Worldview around IS/IT Relationships: A First Step to Alignment
- DIY Content Aggregation: Benefits & Costs of Managing Your Own Platform
"I never before fully appreciated the role the information service plays in R&D productivity and innovation. This isn't something that benefits our department; this is something that benefits the whole of R&D."
You can make the impact of information on successful R&D visible and measurable, with Value Chain analysis.
Let us help you map Jinfo's Focus areas to your particular challenges with information strategy and operations.
- Gain confidence and trust through new vocabulary
Wednesday, 13th October 2021
- Manage your content portfolio for risk
Monday, 11th October 2021
- Is your content advisory board primed for strategy in 2022?
Thursday, 7th October 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step five - your evolution work plan)
Wednesday, 11th August 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step four - assess your team’s characteristics)
Tuesday, 22nd June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step three - envision your Known Fors)
Thursday, 10th June 2021
- Community deck - teeing up value-based budget conversations for content licensing
Thursday, 30th September 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - make progress on your evolution, with your peers
Friday, 23rd July 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - examples of Pillars of Service and Known Fors
Wednesday, 23rd June 2021
- Investment philosophies for strategic portfolio management (Community) Thursday, 2nd December 2021
- Negotiation role-play for content licensing professionals (Community) Thursday, 7th October 2021
- Teeing up value-based budget conversations for content licensing (Community) Tuesday, 21st September 2021
- Value Chain (step five - putting the Value Chain together) (Webinar) Tuesday, 31st August 2021
- Value Chain (step four - measurement - selecting and collecting data) (Webinar) Monday, 30th August 2021
- Value Chain (step three - your contributions to the Value Chain) (Webinar) Friday, 27th August 2021
Our proven processes, resources and guidance will help your team make the shift from transaction centre to strategic asset.
Designed around the most common challenges and pain points for time- and resource-strapped information teams
A tailored overview of our research and active discussion with your Jinfo analyst.
Measure your starting point to articulate your strengths and set priorities for future improvements. Assessments gauge risk, capacity, value and more.
Read case studies, and start the conversation: