Balancing "Generalist" and "Specialist" Expertise
24th May 2016
[Research Focus: Source Expertise - What It Means in a Google World]
Many information services struggle to balance cultivation of "generalist" skills with the desire to differentiate and deliver value-add through specialist skills. Generalists build capacity for workload management, whilst specialists can offer internal customers the kind of service not otherwise available.
We're regularly asked the question: "Should everyone in our information team be a generalist, or should some information staff aim for deep expertise in niche areas like patents, data analytics, fields of science, or other specialisms? What's the right balance?"
Jinfo has conducted hours of interviews and documented stages of maturity for creating an effective balance between generalist and specialist expertise.
There isn't a "right" answer to this question - much will depend on your organisation's information and knowledge culture and the kind of service you promise your customers - but we can walk you through the variables to determine the optimum answer for you and your team.
This Jinfo Webinar provides practical tips on:
- Identifying the variables that contribute to a smart decision about balance of generalist and specialist skills
- Articulating steps in the maturity model for creating this balance
- Conducting an analysis of current and required skills to cover the generalist and specialist requirements of your organisation.
Restricted to Jinfo Subscribers at the Content level or higher, and registered guests. Spaces are limited.
- Tuesday, 24th May 2016 at 08:00 Pacific / 10:00 Central / 11:00 Eastern / 16:00 (GMT) / 17:00 Europe, 60 minutes
Webinar Recording and/or Slide Deck
This event has passed, and a recording and/or slide deck is available for Jinfo clients.
If you are a client, please sign in here so that we can check your account:
"My stakeholders finally understand what we do" – Senior Information Manager, manufacturing industry
Work on information strategy in 2022 with Jinfo if you want to:
- Measure, communicate and improve the ROI of information
- Consistently dedicate time to strategy, despite competing demands
- Build on methods tested and proven in other organisations.
For more on how your organisation benefits and how to get started, check out our "Spotlight on strategy".
- There's no information strategy without stakeholder engagement
Wednesday, 1st December 2021
- Measure the impact of information with Value Chain analysis
Monday, 22nd November 2021
- You know more than you think you do
Tuesday, 16th November 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step five - your evolution work plan)
Wednesday, 11th August 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step four - assess your team’s characteristics)
Tuesday, 22nd June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step three - envision your Known Fors)
Thursday, 10th June 2021
- Community deck - negotiation role-play for content licensing professionals
Monday, 18th October 2021
- Community deck - teeing up value-based budget conversations for content licensing
Thursday, 30th September 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - make progress on your evolution, with your peers
Friday, 23rd July 2021
- Stakeholder engagement strategy – tips and tools (Community) Tuesday, 22nd February 2022
- Overcoming the barriers to progress on information strategy (Community) Tuesday, 11th January 2022
- Investment philosophies for strategic portfolio management (Community) Thursday, 2nd December 2021
- Value Chain (step five - putting the Value Chain together) (Webinar) Tuesday, 31st August 2021
- Value Chain (step four - measurement - selecting and collecting data) (Webinar) Monday, 30th August 2021
- Value Chain (step three - your contributions to the Value Chain) (Webinar) Friday, 27th August 2021