Space shuttles and parrots: Providing incentives for collaboration and knowledge sharing
Tuesday, 20th March 2012
By Martin Belam
Can prizes encourage collaboration and knowledge sharing on the corporate intranet? ConocoPhillips and BP Amoco seem to think so.
There is a lovely social media programme running in the US at the moment. NASA are inviting 30 of their social media followers to go to a NASA Social, which is “an informal meeting of people who engage with NASA social media accounts. Socials provide NASA followers with the opportunity to go behind-the-scenes at NASA facilities and events and speak with scientists, engineers, astronauts and managers”.
This particular meet-up is to greet the arrival of the retired space shuttle Discovery at the Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum. It got me thinking about how you could use social inside and outside the organisation to encourage participation.
OK, we don’t all have a space shuttle arriving as an incentive, but lots of us have access to behind-the-scenes information and exclusive access that could be attractive to users. Can you use social competitions to bring outsiders in – offering tours or discounts or special access. Within the business, can you encourage uptake of your information service by offering usage-based prizes?
ConocoPhillips have gone even further with their intranet – linking bonuses to the ability to collaborate on the intranet. According to Matt Wilson at ragan.com, the company prioritises rewarding people based on their ability to share answers and ask questions on the intranet, rather than the ability to horde knowledge.
The Knowledge Management for Legal Professionals group on LinkedIn have also recently been discussing this approach, with Brian Bawden asking about whether collaboration can be encouraged by giving badges or emblems to users on the corporate intranet.
One of the replies pointed to this lovely story told by Chris Collison about BP Amoco. There a reward scheme called "steal with pride" gave the monthly winner a real life badge – a soft toy parrot. It sparked conversation sitting on the winner's desk and was awarded for taking a business idea from one area of the enterprise and applying it to your own to improve performance. There was a cash incentive too, but it sounds like a fascinating way to socialise rewarding collaboration.
- Blog post title: Space shuttles and parrots: Providing incentives for collaboration and knowledge sharing
- Link to this page
- View printable version
- Linking LinkedIn to your intranet
Friday, 24th February 2012
- The social intranet - white paper, case study, webinar and a PR stunt
Tuesday, 21st February 2012
- Strategic use of social media - Heron & Hughes at news:rewired
Wednesday, 8th February 2012
- Social media and the emergency services: Part 2 - Emergency management
Tuesday, 3rd January 2012
- Social media and the emergency services: Part 1 - Policing in your pocket
Thursday, 1st December 2011
- Corporate culture vs the social intranet [ABSTRACT]
Monday, 1st November 2010
Improve your negotiation position, measure performance of your portfolio of external content, and communicate more effectively with stakeholders.
A Jinfo Subscription gets you access to activity-based content to move your projects forward, plus dynamic peer group discussions on meaty topics.
- Research update - aspiring to “strategic”? You’re in good company
Thursday, 18th February 2021
- Research update - assess your strategic portfolio management needs
Thursday, 4th February 2021
- Become a more strategic content portfolio manager
Thursday, 28th January 2021
- Dashboard and collaboration (use-case - intelligence)
Wednesday, 17th February 2021
- Comparison of content management features (use-case - intelligence)
Tuesday, 16th February 2021
- Mini review of Global Market Model
Tuesday, 2nd February 2021
- Community deck - State of the industry, 2021
Wednesday, 24th February 2021
- Product review of Aurora's FirstLight
Monday, 11th January 2021
- Market landscape - patent products
Monday, 21st December 2020
- Negotiation clinic - role-play and Q&A (Community) Tuesday, 13th April 2021
- Usage data in contract negotiations (Community) Tuesday, 23rd March 2021
- Pricing models for information and data licensing (Community) Tuesday, 2nd March 2021
- Comparative product evaluation - breaking it down into manageable pieces (Webinar) Tuesday, 19th January 2021
- The importance of current awareness tracking (Webinar) Tuesday, 12th January 2021
- State of the Industry, 2021 (Webinar) Tuesday, 5th January 2021
Our proven processes, resources and guidance will help your team make the shift from transaction centre to strategic asset.
Designed around the most common challenges and pain points for time- and resource-strapped information teams
A tailored overview of our research and active discussion with your Jinfo analyst.
Measure your starting point to articulate your strengths and set priorities for future improvements. Assessments gauge risk, capacity, value and more.
Read case studies, and start the conversation: