Create & Share Your Own News Outlet - DIY News Aggregation
Friday, 1st November 2013
DIY social media news aggregation tools have saturated the marketplace. Traditionally thought to be for personal use, this article asks what the implications are for the corporate environment. It argues that tools such as Flipboard, Pulse, Prismatic and Noowit can be used to build a strong business case for the correct use of social media within the workplace.
Developments within traditional news aggregation products together with the growth in social media have greatly impacted upon the news aggregation marketplace. Business intelligence can now be gathered from traditional newspapers, videos, blogs, multimedia websites and photograph sharing sites.
Do-it-yourself social media news aggregation tools have enabled individuals to curate their own online magazines and newsletters to share across social media platforms. Products such as Flipboard, Pulse, and Prismatic use algorithms to select website content thought to be of interest to the user based on their internet footprint.
The new product Noowit, launched in July, has removed the reliance on "keyword" searches, using an algorithm based on user preferences. Articles which Noowit thinks are of relevance are "pushed" to the user who then has the ability to express an interest or otherwise in such content. In addition to this, the product provides the user with a publishing platform with which to create magazines and share them across social media platforms.
Implications for the Corporate Environment
What do such developments mean for corporate organisations? Traditional news aggregator providers set up contracts with their business clients. Under such contracts the terms and conditions of use were stated. Copyright issues, accuracy and re-selling issues were clearly defined. With the use of social media tools, the onus regarding such issues lies with the user.
The Role of the Information Professional
The trained information professional is in a position to understand such concerns. A good researcher will verify the validity and accuracy of all information. The information professional can ensure that copyright is not infringed and that the commercial use of third-party website content meets with the publisher’s requirements.
The change in the news aggregation product marketplace may provide the information professional with the opportunity to make a business case for the use of social media.
FreePint Subscribers can log in now to read more about how Flipboard 2.0, Noowit and Xydocuration.com can be used within the corporate environment in Claire's longer article: DIY Solutions: The Use of Social Media News Aggregation Tools in a Corporate Environment. The article illustrates how the products can be used for current awareness services, media tracking and competitive intelligence purposes.
Editor's Note: Beyond Aggregation
This article is part of the FreePint Topic Series: Beyond Aggregation, which runs from October to November 2013. Register your interest, and you'll get pre-notification of when registration opens for any webinars in this series, as well as a free copy of the FreePint Report: Buyer's Guide on News Content when we publish in November.
Platinum Sponsor - Northern Light
Platinum Sponsor - Attensa
- Blog post title: Create & Share Your Own News Outlet - DIY News Aggregation
- Link to this page
- View printable version
- DIY Solutions: The Use of Social Media News Aggregation Tools in a Corporate Environment
Thursday, 31st October 2013
- Market Map: the Options in News Aggregation & Beyond
Thursday, 10th October 2013
- The Story Behind the Headline - Twitter and Google Aim for the Truth
Monday, 2nd September 2013
- The Big Free Three for News: Sources, Coverage and Content
Tuesday, 25th September 2012
- Time to Review Your Information Database
Tuesday, 29th October 2013
- News Aggregation Know-How from FreePint Topic Series: Beyond Aggregation
Friday, 25th October 2013
- Selecting the Right News Aggregation Product
Friday, 11th October 2013
- Taking a Step Back From News Aggregation Tools: What is Current Awareness?
Tuesday, 8th October 2013
"I never before fully appreciated the role the information service plays in R&D productivity and innovation. This isn't something that benefits our department; this is something that benefits the whole of R&D."
You can make the impact of information on successful R&D visible and measurable, with Value Chain analysis.
Let us help you map Jinfo's Focus areas to your particular challenges with information strategy and operations.
- Gain confidence and trust through new vocabulary
Wednesday, 13th October 2021
- Manage your content portfolio for risk
Monday, 11th October 2021
- Is your content advisory board primed for strategy in 2022?
Thursday, 7th October 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step five - your evolution work plan)
Wednesday, 11th August 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step four - assess your team’s characteristics)
Tuesday, 22nd June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step three - envision your Known Fors)
Thursday, 10th June 2021
- Community deck - teeing up value-based budget conversations for content licensing
Thursday, 30th September 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - make progress on your evolution, with your peers
Friday, 23rd July 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - examples of Pillars of Service and Known Fors
Wednesday, 23rd June 2021
- Investment philosophies for strategic portfolio management (Community) Thursday, 2nd December 2021
- Negotiation role-play for content licensing professionals (Community) Thursday, 7th October 2021
- Teeing up value-based budget conversations for content licensing (Community) Tuesday, 21st September 2021
- Value Chain (step five - putting the Value Chain together) (Webinar) Tuesday, 31st August 2021
- Value Chain (step four - measurement - selecting and collecting data) (Webinar) Monday, 30th August 2021
- Value Chain (step three - your contributions to the Value Chain) (Webinar) Friday, 27th August 2021
Our proven processes, resources and guidance will help your team make the shift from transaction centre to strategic asset.
Designed around the most common challenges and pain points for time- and resource-strapped information teams
A tailored overview of our research and active discussion with your Jinfo analyst.
Measure your starting point to articulate your strengths and set priorities for future improvements. Assessments gauge risk, capacity, value and more.
Read case studies, and start the conversation: