Unique characteristics of information services in biopharma
Thursday, 7th September 2017
By Amy Burns
Get a flavour of the discussions from our recent industry roundtable for information professionals in biopharma.
Who's your champion?
On 23 August, Jinfo hosted an industry-focused roundtable for the biopharma industry as part of a new offering in Community.
A small group of information services professionals joined a lively discussion on trends and best practices, building off Jinfo's benchmarking research and examining how the data applies to biopharma companies.
We looked at the unique characteristics of the biopharma participants in the benchmarking, compared with the full dataset in terms of structure, staffing size, services and target customers.
Discussion highlights included:
Where within the organisation does the information department report, and why does it matter? Although our benchmarking research found that most biopharma companies tend to have information services reporting into Research and Development (R&D), all of the companies represented in our discussion group actually report elsewhere - legal, commercial operations and IT.
Interestingly, these reporting relationships are all relatively new (within 3 years) and came as a result of merger, acquisition or divestiture.
Have a champion
This observation led to the next important highlight: successful information teams have a champion (or several), who understand what the information services team does.
Discussion around the value of a champion was passionate. Participants agreed that a champion can:
- Express the value you provide to the organisation
- Articulate the impact you make to your customers
- Help you develop a clear plan for growth, to the benefit of the business.
One of the roundtable attendees commented "how refreshing a change in structure can be to the team". Reorgs can break down old expectations and boundaries. Embrace the change as an opportunity to strengthen your team environment, grow your business and find new opportunities to showcase your information skills.
Future industry roundtables
Future industry roundtables will dig into the benchmarking data as they relate to:
Community sessions are open to Jinfo customers with the Community option on their accounts. To learn more about these sessions and register, please email me at email@example.com, or complete the online query form. A limited number of seats are available for prospects who want a taster before they commit.
- Blog post title: Unique characteristics of information services in biopharma
- Link to this page
- View printable version
- PatentAdvisor - your guide through the USPTO
Tuesday, 29th August 2017
- Insight 1 from Research Focus - the "right" model can be a lot of things
Friday, 7th July 2017
- Jinfo model for basic benchmarking
Sunday, 3rd September 2017
Value Chain Analysis has its roots in client work, going back nearly a decade. Since then, information teams in a range of industries have adapted and applied it to a host of business challenges, with transformative results.Read on the Blog
- What can you do with Value Chain Analysis? What CAN’T you do?
Wednesday, 11th May 2022
- Trust Your Knowledge, Elevate Your Standing
Wednesday, 27th April 2022
- Change your mindset, change your world
Wednesday, 13th April 2022
- Plan your work, work your plan (Community) Thursday, 9th June 2022
- Value Chain foundation – mastering the mindset (Community) Thursday, 5th May 2022
- Advance as an information leader, activate your expertise (Community) Tuesday, 29th March 2022
- Making data meaningful (Webinar) Tuesday, 17th May 2022
- Validating your hypothesis (Webinar) Thursday, 31st March 2022
- Foundation of Value Chain Analysis (Webinar) Thursday, 31st March 2022