Dow Jones Factiva - fresh review of this premium news product
Tuesday, 5th December 2017
This product review of Dow Jones Factiva focuses on the changes to the product over the last couple of years, and looks at what is still to be improved.
Desktops are being used less and less for news searches these days, everyone is after "news on-the-go". Dow Jones Factiva - a global news aggregation service - is a premium news provider you would expect to be keeping up with that trend.
Jinfo product reviews follow a set protocol and are independent of bias, with a requirement that our researchers have access to the product for two weeks to carry out in-depth testing during that time.
As well as carrying out a full new product review, Jinfo wanted to find out how has Factiva improved its access to news via mobile. Over the last couple of years in particular, social media and online news sources have improved rapidly and expansively and we wanted to see whether Factiva had kept up with that demand.
Jinfo held a Community session earlier this year and invited users and vendors to discuss the merits of key news providers, along with what could be improved. Our session attendees felt that there were three main needs that Factiva could focus on:
Sophie Alexander, the author of this year's Factiva review, looked closely at those areas when putting Factiva to the test, as well as covering:
- Where the investments have been made over the last two years since Jinfo's last in-depth review
- What additions have been made
- What parts of the platform have been upgraded
- New features
- Licensing plans, pricing and direct competitors.
The biggest recent change in mobile terms is that the platform is now available to Android users (previously only available for Apple users).
Add to this hundreds of new licensed and crawled sources, increased expert searches and competitive intelligence and increased language support - and you start to get an idea of how the customer is being listened to.
Factiva has not quite reached complete global coverage yet - this is an area they are currently addressing and working on, in order to cover more local regions around the world.
Jinfo Subscribers can sign in now to read "Product review of Factiva" and find out more about the biggest improvements and changes to the Factiva platform.
If you do not have a Jinfo Subscription you can purchase the report with a credit card.
- Blog post title: Dow Jones Factiva - fresh review of this premium news product
- Link to this page
- View printable version
- How to balance shrinking spend with the high cost of premium databases
Friday, 24th November 2017
- Insight 2 from Research Focus - spend on premium news is shrinking
Friday, 13th October 2017
- Product review of Factiva
Tuesday, 28th November 2017
Document the value chain, and transform the way you think about, manage and report on your product portfolio and your information service contributions to your organisation goals.
Director of Research Robin Neidorf describes the benefits of a Consulting Pilot on Value Chain, to tailor this process to your needs and environment:
- Research update - what's your focus in 2021?
Thursday, 7th January 2021
- Research update - peeking around the corner to 2021
Thursday, 17th December 2020
- Research update - what can you leverage in 2021?
Thursday, 3rd December 2020
- Mini review of M-Brain's Intelligence Plaza
Monday, 18th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (value - purchasing, development and competitor landscape)
Thursday, 14th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (technology - search & user interface; outputs & alerts; administration)
Wednesday, 13th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight
Monday, 11th January 2021
- Market landscape - patent products
Monday, 21st December 2020
- Product review of TRG Screen's Quest
Friday, 18th December 2020
- Negotiation clinic - role-play and Q&A (Community) Tuesday, 13th April 2021
- Usage data in contract negotiations (Community) Tuesday, 23rd March 2021
- Pricing models for information and data licensing (Community) Tuesday, 2nd March 2021
- Comparative product evaluation - breaking it down into manageable pieces (Webinar) Tuesday, 19th January 2021
- The importance of current awareness tracking (Webinar) Tuesday, 12th January 2021
- State of the Industry, 2021 (Webinar) Tuesday, 5th January 2021
Our proven processes, resources and guidance will help your team make the shift from transaction centre to strategic asset.
Designed around the most common challenges and pain points for time- and resource-strapped information teams
A tailored overview of our research and active discussion with your Jinfo analyst.
Measure your starting point to articulate your strengths and set priorities for future improvements. Assessments gauge risk, capacity, value and more.
Read case studies, and start the conversation: