Practical Action on Jinfo's Research Focus on data analytics, from a research manager's perspective
Wednesday, 21st March 2018
The Insights and Actions report from the Research Focus, "Stake your claim in the success of data analytics", is available now for all site visitors. We asked Nancy Snell, research lead at North Highland, a worldwide consultancy firm, how she and her team have been using the data analytics resources from the Research Focus.
How are the articles, webinars and Community sessions from the Research Focus, "Stake your claim in the success of data analytics", being used? We spoke to Nancy Snell, research lead at North Highland, a worldwide consultancy firm, who shared with us what she has learned from the current Research Focus and she plans to apply it.
Jinfo: What did you find most valuable about the Research Focus?
Nancy Snell: Its relevancy. I've been working in business research for over 15 years and data analytics is now a major component of my research deliverables.
Jinfo: Were there any articles or reports which you found particularly useful?
Nancy Snell: We've started our shift towards more analytics using the term "value add". But value add isn't measurable. So this report on measuring contribution provided me with some guidelines and ideas that will be useful in proving value. And the article on data analytics as the domain of the information professional simply spoke to me as a good overall perspective.
Jinfo: How did it affect your thinking?
Nancy Snell: I've been shifting my work focus into data and analytics for the past several years. This Research Focus helps to articulate and validate that data analytics should be our focus.
Jinfo: How does Jinfo help you to stay ahead of the curve on technology developments and gain other insights?
Nancy Snell: I, unfortunately, tend to overuse the phrase "thinking outside of the box". But that is the reality of a high-pressure work environment. You tend to stay focused on the tasks at hand to keep projects moving forward. Jinfo helps me to think outside the box and increases my awareness of the current trends in the industry.
About Nancy Snell
Nancy Snell is a research and information professional with over 20 years of experience in research, analysis, competitive intelligence, project management and business development research. Her first career was in journalism writing articles for print newspapers and magazines. A desire to learn how to better organise data led to a graduate degree in library sciences and a move into consulting research. She has been active in SLA, serving as past president of the Georgia SLA chapter.
Find out more
The main lessons learned from this three-month Research Focus, plus a thematic index to all content published, are included in the Insights and Actions report from the Research Focus "Stake your claim in the success of data analytics". Visit the Research Focus page to get your copy.
- Blog post title: Practical Action on Jinfo's Research Focus on data analytics, from a research manager's perspective
- Link to this page
- View printable version
- Data analytics as the domain of the information professional
Friday, 1st December 2017
- Data analytics - measuring the information professional's contribution
Monday, 20th November 2017
- Insight 1 from Research Focus - seize the future
Wednesday, 17th January 2018
Improve your negotiation position, measure performance of your portfolio of external content, and communicate more effectively with stakeholders.
A Jinfo Subscription gets you access to activity-based content to move your projects forward, plus dynamic peer group discussions on meaty topics.
- Enhancements to the Jinfo website
Thursday, 21st January 2021
- Research update - what matters most to smart information managers
Thursday, 21st January 2021
- Research update - what's your focus in 2021?
Thursday, 7th January 2021
- Mini review of M-Brain's Intelligence Plaza
Monday, 18th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (value - purchasing, development and competitor landscape)
Thursday, 14th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (technology - search & user interface; outputs & alerts; administration)
Wednesday, 13th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight
Monday, 11th January 2021
- Market landscape - patent products
Monday, 21st December 2020
- Product review of TRG Screen's Quest
Friday, 18th December 2020
- Negotiation clinic - role-play and Q&A (Community) Tuesday, 13th April 2021
- Usage data in contract negotiations (Community) Tuesday, 23rd March 2021
- Pricing models for information and data licensing (Community) Tuesday, 2nd March 2021
- Comparative product evaluation - breaking it down into manageable pieces (Webinar) Tuesday, 19th January 2021
- The importance of current awareness tracking (Webinar) Tuesday, 12th January 2021
- State of the Industry, 2021 (Webinar) Tuesday, 5th January 2021
Our proven processes, resources and guidance will help your team make the shift from transaction centre to strategic asset.
Designed around the most common challenges and pain points for time- and resource-strapped information teams
A tailored overview of our research and active discussion with your Jinfo analyst.
Measure your starting point to articulate your strengths and set priorities for future improvements. Assessments gauge risk, capacity, value and more.
Read case studies, and start the conversation: