My Favourite Tipples from a social media manager
Wednesday, 8th August 2018
My Favourite Tipples are shared by Karina Fabian, content writer and content marketing specialist at NEWSCYCLE Solutions. She shares some of her go-to tools for keeping on top of new apps, managing a variety of social media platforms and scheduling posts, and chatroom software.
As an author and founder of the Catholic Writers' Guild, I've been running social media for myself and the Guild for nearly a decade. Then, in April, I took a job as content writer and social media manager for NEWSCYCLE Solutions. I've discovered that the same software that helped me in my personal social media marketing work equally well for my professional duties.
- AppSumo: If you depend on software for your job - or if you just love programs that deal with productivity, social media and other business and marketing tasks - then I highly recommend following AppSumo. This site works with software companies to offer limited-time deals with amazing discounts. Very often, you can get lifetime licences for as little as $50. I've acquired several excellent software platforms for myself and work.
- Hootsuite: A well-known and reliable tool for social media management, Hootsuite allows you to monitor, post and schedule social media. Its LinkedIn offerings are limited, which makes it less useful for B2B marketing, but its Twitter management tools are first-rate. I find Twitter the equivalent of holding a conversation at a rave; Hootsuite lets me keep track of people mentioning our company, of topics that interest our followers and influencers, and of what our competition finds newsworthy. With separate feeds for the items and the ability to move Tweeters (like influencers) to a single news feed, I can more easily see and respond to posts, which is vital because tweets get buried fast.
- Buffer: Buffer is pure content scheduling. While Hootsuite and Content Studio do the same, Buffer's interface is simpler, I've found. Its stand-out tool is the Pablo meme generator. Buffer offers copyright-free images and a meme generator that knows the ideal sizes for social media posting, so you can design and post your own memes. I use this regularly to promote my fellow writers.
- Content Studio: This was one of my AppSumo finds, and it's made my social media management so much easier. Like Hootsuite and Buffer, Content Studio lets you schedule posts to multiple accounts, but the real highlight is the content generator. It draws from thousands of online sources for articles, blogs and other digital content. You can watch trending news or search for specific topics and, when you find an article you like, you can preview and share it without leaving the window. You can even set up automatic feeds that search according to your parameters and post them automatically. I recommend clicking the option to approve these posts first, as the results vary in quality.
- NewsEdge: When I interviewed for NEWSCYCLE, I asked if I would get to use this product. NewsEdge curates over 9,800 licensed news sources and 7,000 weblinked sources. It tags them using a detailed taxonomy that's checked by subject-matter experts. Searching for a particular topic is orders of magnitude more accurate than Google, which saves me time. I have several directed searches for publishing news set up on it.
- Discord: When the Guild needed new chat software, we turned to Discord. While originally intended for gamers, we found it served our purposes equally well. We host weekly open chats for members and interested writers, as well as several long-running discussion groups. I'm on it all the time, especially in the science fiction/fantasy critique group, talking stories, sharing jokes and memes and building friendships.
An article in Jinfo I found particularly interesting:
- I was very impressed with Jan Knight's review of our NewsEdge product. NewsEdge is a new acquisition for my company, and while I've worked with the software myself, her thorough evaluation helped me understand the product better. As a former reviewer for Top Ten Reviews, I was impressed with the depth of her research and the balanced way she evaluated the pros and cons. Plus, as the social media manager, I appreciated all the shareable quotes.
Contribute your "My Favourite Tipples"
- Blog post title: My Favourite Tipples from a social media manager
- Link to this page
- View printable version
- My Favourite Tipples from a news aggregator topic specialist
Wednesday, 25th July 2018
- My Favourite Tipples from a change management specialist
Wednesday, 11th July 2018
- My Favourite Tipples from a director of knowledge
Wednesday, 20th June 2018
- Product review of NewsEdge from Acquire Media
Thursday, 31st May 2018
Document the value chain, and transform the way you think about, manage and report on your product portfolio and your information service contributions to your organisation goals.
Director of Research Robin Neidorf describes the benefits of a Consulting Pilot on Value Chain, to tailor this process to your needs and environment:
- Research update - what's your focus in 2021?
Thursday, 7th January 2021
- Research update - peeking around the corner to 2021
Thursday, 17th December 2020
- Research update - what can you leverage in 2021?
Thursday, 3rd December 2020
- Mini review of M-Brain's Intelligence Plaza
Monday, 18th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (value - purchasing, development and competitor landscape)
Thursday, 14th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (technology - search & user interface; outputs & alerts; administration)
Wednesday, 13th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight
Monday, 11th January 2021
- Market landscape - patent products
Monday, 21st December 2020
- Product review of TRG Screen's Quest
Friday, 18th December 2020
- Negotiation clinic - role-play and Q&A (Community) Tuesday, 13th April 2021
- Usage data in contract negotiations (Community) Tuesday, 23rd March 2021
- Pricing models for information and data licensing (Community) Tuesday, 2nd March 2021
- Comparative product evaluation - breaking it down into manageable pieces (Webinar) Tuesday, 19th January 2021
- The importance of current awareness tracking (Webinar) Tuesday, 12th January 2021
- State of the Industry, 2021 (Webinar) Tuesday, 5th January 2021
Our proven processes, resources and guidance will help your team make the shift from transaction centre to strategic asset.
Designed around the most common challenges and pain points for time- and resource-strapped information teams
A tailored overview of our research and active discussion with your Jinfo analyst.
Measure your starting point to articulate your strengths and set priorities for future improvements. Assessments gauge risk, capacity, value and more.
Read case studies, and start the conversation: