Portfolio value is an inside job
Thursday, 23rd September 2021
Are you budgeting for 2022 yet? The internal discussions can be the trickiest, especially in the face of rising prices. Jinfo’s Consulting on Content Portfolio helps customers create a clear information investment philosophy stakeholders can understand.
Many Jinfo clients are deep into budgeting, as they plan for the end of the calendar year. They tell us they anticipate the "perfect storm":
- 2022 will be a challenging financial environment
- Flexible licensing agreements to accommodate short-term changes in working patterns are crystallising into long-term requirements
- Vendors that "shared their clients' pain" during the crisis are now looking to increase their revenues.
Essential to navigating this storm is your relationship with your internal stakeholders. Do they understand the commercial value and impact of the content portfolio on their ability to achieve their business goals?
Our Consulting on Content Portfolio projects may start from questions about negotiating position, usage reporting or closer understanding of user requirements. But they inevitably involve creating a clear information investment philosophy that resonates with senior-level stakeholders.
A client reflected this back to us in a wrap-up call for a recently completed project. Initially, the primary goal of the project was to reset the vendor relationship around realised value. She told us:
"I can now sit down with my stakeholders and articulate how [licensed information] affects different workflows and the value they produce. That's something that has really resonated with them and has led to a different type of conversation – a more valuable and targeted conversation."
If you'd like to reshape those internal conversations, talk with us about Consulting on Content Portfolio and explore what your own transformation can look like.
This item was featured in the most recent Jinfo Newsletter. The Jinfo Newsletter brings you updates on Jinfo's research, latest resources and tips. If you're not yet receiving it, register here (free).
"I never before fully appreciated the role the information service plays in R&D productivity and innovation. This isn't something that benefits our department; this is something that benefits the whole of R&D."
You can make the impact of information on successful R&D visible and measurable, with Value Chain analysis.
Let us help you map Jinfo's Focus areas to your particular challenges with information strategy and operations.
- Gain confidence and trust through new vocabulary
Wednesday, 13th October 2021
- Manage your content portfolio for risk
Monday, 11th October 2021
- Is your content advisory board primed for strategy in 2022?
Thursday, 7th October 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step five - your evolution work plan)
Wednesday, 11th August 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step four - assess your team’s characteristics)
Tuesday, 22nd June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step three - envision your Known Fors)
Thursday, 10th June 2021
- Community deck - negotiation role-play for content licensing professionals
Monday, 18th October 2021
- Community deck - teeing up value-based budget conversations for content licensing
Thursday, 30th September 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - make progress on your evolution, with your peers
Friday, 23rd July 2021
- Investment philosophies for strategic portfolio management (Community) Thursday, 2nd December 2021
- Negotiation role-play for content licensing professionals (Community) Thursday, 7th October 2021
- Teeing up value-based budget conversations for content licensing (Community) Tuesday, 21st September 2021
- Value Chain (step five - putting the Value Chain together) (Webinar) Tuesday, 31st August 2021
- Value Chain (step four - measurement - selecting and collecting data) (Webinar) Monday, 30th August 2021
- Value Chain (step three - your contributions to the Value Chain) (Webinar) Friday, 27th August 2021
Our proven processes, resources and guidance will help your team make the shift from transaction centre to strategic asset.
Designed around the most common challenges and pain points for time- and resource-strapped information teams
A tailored overview of our research and active discussion with your Jinfo analyst.
Measure your starting point to articulate your strengths and set priorities for future improvements. Assessments gauge risk, capacity, value and more.
Read case studies, and start the conversation: