Stakeholder engagement is not what you think it is
Wednesday, 23rd February 2022
If you are focused on raising stakeholder awareness, you are probably focusing on the wrong problem. Flip your perspective on how to strengthen those key relationships – someone’s awareness is raised, but it’s not stakeholders’. Jinfo explains how this shift is part of the journey to making your department the internal go-to resource for information strategy.
We’re currently helping a Jinfo Client with their stakeholder engagement plan.
The client’s first draft originally started with:
“The goal is to raise stakeholder awareness about our services and value.”
But, believe it or not, the goal is actually the reverse:
“To raise OUR awareness of business objectives and how stakeholders measure success.”
Effective stakeholder engagement means partnership and mutual trust – it’s about the stakeholders’ needs, rather than your capabilities.
That’s why our resources on stakeholder engagement focus on thinking about and managing those relationships strategically, before you do any outreach or communication.
Start with “Map your stakeholders”, a multi-purpose approach to planning your engagement.
From those results, you can start to dig deeply into stakeholders’ objectives, initiatives and key metrics. Then, because you are engaging around what matters to them – and what they understand – you can put your expertise to work, advising them on how information products and services fit into their vision of success.
Best of all, this approach can be measured through:
- Number of strategic consultations
- Number of referrals and “repeat business”
- Frequency with which your team is cited as a partner on key projects
- Number of invitations to engage with new audiences.
Imagine your department as the internal “go to” resource for consultation and advice to drive business results with information strategy.
If this piques your interest, talk to us about becoming a client.
Value Chain Analysis has its roots in client work, going back nearly a decade. Since then, information teams in a range of industries have adapted and applied it to a host of business challenges, with transformative results.Read on the Blog
- What can you do with Value Chain Analysis? What CAN’T you do?
Wednesday, 11th May 2022
- Trust Your Knowledge, Elevate Your Standing
Wednesday, 27th April 2022
- Change your mindset, change your world
Wednesday, 13th April 2022
- Plan your work, work your plan (Community) Thursday, 9th June 2022
- Value Chain foundation – mastering the mindset (Community) Thursday, 5th May 2022
- Advance as an information leader, activate your expertise (Community) Tuesday, 29th March 2022
- Making data meaningful (Webinar) Tuesday, 17th May 2022
- Validating your hypothesis (Webinar) Thursday, 31st March 2022
- Foundation of Value Chain Analysis (Webinar) Thursday, 31st March 2022