Concluding the FreePint Topic Series - What You Need to Know Your Customer (KYC)
Wednesday, 1st October 2014
By Andrew Lucas
Andrew Lucas wraps up the FreePint Topic Series: What You Need to Know Your Customer (KYC) by looking back at some the topics and themes in risk and compliance that have emerged from the series that he and Chris Porter have co-produced over the last three months.
Since the FreePint Topic Series: What You Need to Know Your Customer (KYC) kicked off in July of this year we have looked at a wide range of topics that information professionals are thinking about in this space.
Impact of Regulatory Change
At the start of the series Sophie Alexander's article KYC Survey Findings from Dow Jones, KPMG and Thomson Reuters highlighted the findings of recent research carried out by the companies and gave an overview of how regulatory change has impacted on business decisions and some of the key trends in this area.
The series concluded with a handy guide to the main players in the KYC space: Vendor Market Overview - Know Your Customer.
Another useful market overview was provided by Mark Dunn, the due diligence segment leader for Risk & Compliance at LexisNexis, on the law relating to Anti-Money Laundering and Anti-Bribery & Corruption. The article, Due Diligence - from Business Burden to Business Benefit, also looked at how organisations can mitigate the risk of becoming involved in corruption through third parties (e.g. agents, suppliers) by implementing either Simplified or Enhanced Due Diligence process.
One of the themes touched upon in almost all the articles in the series is the increased exposure to criminal sanctions not only of companies, but also management for breach of the law relating to Anti-Money Laundering and Anti-Bribery and Corruption and therefore the increasing importance of KYC.
Analysing How Regulators Are Upping the Ante
This was very much the theme of the Tenth Annual Thomson Reuters Compliance & Risk Summit which looked at the increasing focus by regulators on conduct risk and corporate culture. Our coverage of the conference, Changing Compliance Culture in the Financial Sector, considered whether the shift from rules-based regulation to the harder to measure compliance culture will require information managers to review the compliance information within their organisation and who receives it.
How information professionals can help management avoid some of the pitfalls that can result in a jail sentence was explored by Tim Buckley Owen in his article Why Compliant Bosses Need Info Pros - Some Cautionary Compliance Tales.
Quizzing Industry Luminaries
The Topic Series also included question and answer sessions with two industry leaders: Tom Obermaier, CEO of Regulatory Data Corp (RDC) and Joel Lange, managing director of the Dow Jones Risk & Compliance business.
In the Q&A, Making the Impossible Possible, Tom Obermaier talked about the possible emergence of a compliance data utility serving all the financial institutions and public companies.
In a wide-ranging conversation with Chris Porter, Weathering the Perfect Storm of Compliance Legislation, Joel Lange talked about issues which included areas of activity and change in risk and compliance data; regional variations; do-it-yourself versus subcontracting approaches; key current buying centres and emerging needs; and differing delivery options.
A focus for the Topic Series has been when to carry out due diligence in-house and when to outsource it. In The KYC Conundrum - Should You Outsource? industry expert Darren Hickman, managing director of ComplianceAssist, considered the issues of do-it-yourself versus outsourcing and explained the options, the pitfalls and where to start.
Penny Crossland looked at some of the free online resources that can be used for undertaking KYC due diligence in her article Risk & Compliance - Free Online Resources.
Putting Products to the Test
Product reviews included Chris Porter's analysis of the enhancements to Bureau van Dijk's Compliance Catalyst and a full review of Reg-Track, a regulatory tracking service aimed at compliance professionals focused on the financial services industry in the largest financial markets, including North America, the European Union and Asia-Pacific.
This year's compliance Topic Series has endeavoured to provide information professionals with both a broad picture of what is happening in the KYC space as well as focusing on some of the key issues that are of concern to practitioners. If you have missed any of the articles or product reviews over the summer, it is not too late to catch up.
Don't Miss the Webinar
Join us for the FreePint Webinar "Can You Outsource KYC?" where ComplianceAssist's managing director Darren Hickman will identify:
- Key factors in deciding whether to outsource
- Tips on what to look for when choosing an outsourcing provider
- How to ensure your compliance processes will withstand the regulator's scrutiny.
The sessions will run on 28th October at 12:30 GMT and 30th October at 17:00 GMT, find out more and book here.
This article is part of the FreePint Topic Series: What You Need to Know Your Customer (KYC) which ran from July-September 2014 and included articles, reviews and expert tips. You can still register your interest until end December 2014 and receive an end-of-series free PDF report with selected premium articles.
- Blog post title: Concluding the FreePint Topic Series - What You Need to Know Your Customer (KYC)
- Link to this page
- View printable version
- Vendor Market Overview - Know Your Customer
Tuesday, 23rd September 2014
- Why Compliant Bosses Need Info Pros - Some Cautionary Compliance Tales
Tuesday, 26th August 2014
- Due Diligence - from Business Burden to Business Benefit
Tuesday, 19th August 2014
- The KYC Conundrum - Should You Outsource?
Wednesday, 13th August 2014
- Q&A with Dow Jones - Weathering the Perfect Storm of Compliance Legislation
Friday, 8th August 2014
- KYC Survey Findings from Dow Jones, KPMG and Thomson Reuters
Wednesday, 6th August 2014
- Q&A with RDC - Making the Impossible Possible
Friday, 1st August 2014
- Changing Compliance Culture in the Financial Sector
Thursday, 24th July 2014
- Market landscape - Dun & Bradstreet risk & compliance products
Tuesday, 24th January 2017
Five newly recorded webinars on how to complete the activities in our Focus on Value Chain now available.
Express value the way stakeholders do with Value Chain analysis
"I can now sit in a meeting with my stakeholders and articulate the role information plays in their workflows. They understand our contribution to their success." Information Senior Scientist, heavy manufacturing industry
With Jinfo Consulting, you get accountability, fine-tuned guidance and industry-wide perspective.
- Capacity comes from strategy
Wednesday, 15th September 2021
- Tie portfolio value to commercial impact
Monday, 13th September 2021
- Theory, practice, and demonstrating ROI
Thursday, 9th September 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step five - your evolution work plan)
Wednesday, 11th August 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step four - assess your team’s characteristics)
Tuesday, 22nd June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step three - envision your Known Fors)
Thursday, 10th June 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - make progress on your evolution, with your peers
Friday, 23rd July 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - examples of Pillars of Service and Known Fors
Wednesday, 23rd June 2021
- Community deck - scorecards - how information teams are designing and using them
Wednesday, 2nd June 2021
- Investment philosophies for strategic portfolio management (Community) Thursday, 2nd December 2021
- Negotiation role-play for content licensing professionals (Community) Thursday, 7th October 2021
- Teeing up value-based budget conversations for content licensing (Community) Tuesday, 21st September 2021
- Value Chain (step five - putting the Value Chain together) (Webinar) Tuesday, 31st August 2021
- Value Chain (step four - measurement - selecting and collecting data) (Webinar) Monday, 30th August 2021
- Value Chain (step three - your contributions to the Value Chain) (Webinar) Friday, 27th August 2021
Our proven processes, resources and guidance will help your team make the shift from transaction centre to strategic asset.
Designed around the most common challenges and pain points for time- and resource-strapped information teams
A tailored overview of our research and active discussion with your Jinfo analyst.
Measure your starting point to articulate your strengths and set priorities for future improvements. Assessments gauge risk, capacity, value and more.
Read case studies, and start the conversation: