My Favourite Tipples from a growth market expert
Wednesday, 5th July 2017
By Pete Read
My Favourite Tipples are shared by Pete Read, CEO of Global Growth Markets, a business research and advisory firm specialising in emerging markets. He shares his favourite online go-to resources for rapid access to key information.
"Information overload" and "drowning in information" are concepts which will be familiar to anyone involved in the information industry. Tens or even hundreds of thousands of sources are now available on almost any business topic you care to enter into an online search engine. And while search engines sort and recommend sources for us every time we search, as a research consultant often needing to get up to speed on a new topic rapidly, I find it useful to keep a few go-to bookmarks at the ready.
- Gapminder: Brainchild of the late, great statistician and self-styled "edutainer" Hans Rosling - who I once had the privilege and pleasure of meeting - Gapminder hosts an excellent collection of demographic, economic and epidemiology statistics, delivered for free either in flat data files or via Gapminder's open-source software which includes the famous animated bubble charts Hans used to great effect in his TED talks on his "Fact-Based World View".
- Frontier Strategy Group blog: FSG has been monitoring and analysing emerging markets for over 10 years and in my view is the best at what they do. They employ a group of analysts who specialise in different countries and regions who blog regularly on interesting emerging market business topics ranging from eCommerce to channel strategies to political risk.
- 10 Times: Trade shows are a great way to get to know an industry sector - all the key players gathered in one place, latest products or services on display, hot topics featured on the agenda and industry gurus giving keynotes. And you don't even have to attend them to benefit. 10 Times is a pretty comprehensive listing of trade shows the world over. And while it doesn't always have the details on every event, it does provide links to their own websites.
- Knoema: Surprisingly wide and deep in terms of data coverage, Knoema is a valuable font of global time series statistics with a useful interactive graphical interface. Whether you need to know how much fruit is grown in Finland, or the level of investment in telecom in Taiwan, Knoema probably has something useful for you.
An article in Jinfo which I found particularly interesting:
- A huge amount of time, effort and budget goes into outsourcing to vendors, and the opportunity cost if you get it wrong can be enormous. In extreme cases it can even cost you your job or your next promotion. As the recent Jinfo article "Jinfo research on benchmarking information services (vendor relations)" says, "Communicate early and often with vendors... the biggest assets you can have on hand are your vendor scorecards... learn your vendor's marketplace... determine where and how you should be spending your company's research funds."
Contribute your "My Favourite Tipples"
- Blog post title: My Favourite Tipples from a growth market expert
- Link to this page
- View printable version
- Jinfo research on benchmarking information services (vendor relations)
Monday, 26th June 2017
- My Favourite Tipples from a research consultant
Wednesday, 21st June 2017
- My Favourite Tipples from a business intelligence publisher
Wednesday, 7th June 2017
- My Favourite Tipples from a business consultant
Wednesday, 24th May 2017
Upcoming Community sessions
- The Inside Circle – let's talk suppliers,
Thursday, 29th September 2022
The final quarter can feel daunting; a busy operating period often combined with a large number of contract renewals. Negotiations are increasingly difficult; a value based approach can provide useful levers. Learn about the practical strategies you can employ to drive the negotiating process.Read on the Blog
- Portfolio Management: do your "users' expression of value" drive your decisions?
Wednesday, 17th August 2022
- Are you in a proactive state of resilience? Preparing for contract negotiations
Wednesday, 13th July 2022
- The value of information remains at the heart of it all
Friday, 8th July 2022
- The Inside Circle – let’s talk suppliers (Community) Thursday, 29th September 2022
- Plan your work, work your plan (Community) Thursday, 9th June 2022
- Value Chain foundation – mastering the mindset (Community) Thursday, 5th May 2022
- Centre of Excellence (step seven - ready, aim, fire) (Webinar) Tuesday, 28th June 2022
- Centre of Excellence (step six - making strategy operational) (Webinar) Wednesday, 15th June 2022
- Making data meaningful (Webinar) Tuesday, 17th May 2022