My Favourite Tipples from a growth market expert
Wednesday, 5th July 2017
By Pete Read
My Favourite Tipples are shared by Pete Read, CEO of Global Growth Markets, a business research and advisory firm specialising in emerging markets. He shares his favourite online go-to resources for rapid access to key information.
"Information overload" and "drowning in information" are concepts which will be familiar to anyone involved in the information industry. Tens or even hundreds of thousands of sources are now available on almost any business topic you care to enter into an online search engine. And while search engines sort and recommend sources for us every time we search, as a research consultant often needing to get up to speed on a new topic rapidly, I find it useful to keep a few go-to bookmarks at the ready.
- Gapminder: Brainchild of the late, great statistician and self-styled "edutainer" Hans Rosling - who I once had the privilege and pleasure of meeting - Gapminder hosts an excellent collection of demographic, economic and epidemiology statistics, delivered for free either in flat data files or via Gapminder's open-source software which includes the famous animated bubble charts Hans used to great effect in his TED talks on his "Fact-Based World View".
- Frontier Strategy Group blog: FSG has been monitoring and analysing emerging markets for over 10 years and in my view is the best at what they do. They employ a group of analysts who specialise in different countries and regions who blog regularly on interesting emerging market business topics ranging from eCommerce to channel strategies to political risk.
- 10 Times: Trade shows are a great way to get to know an industry sector - all the key players gathered in one place, latest products or services on display, hot topics featured on the agenda and industry gurus giving keynotes. And you don't even have to attend them to benefit. 10 Times is a pretty comprehensive listing of trade shows the world over. And while it doesn't always have the details on every event, it does provide links to their own websites.
- Knoema: Surprisingly wide and deep in terms of data coverage, Knoema is a valuable font of global time series statistics with a useful interactive graphical interface. Whether you need to know how much fruit is grown in Finland, or the level of investment in telecom in Taiwan, Knoema probably has something useful for you.
An article in Jinfo which I found particularly interesting:
- A huge amount of time, effort and budget goes into outsourcing to vendors, and the opportunity cost if you get it wrong can be enormous. In extreme cases it can even cost you your job or your next promotion. As the recent Jinfo article "Jinfo research on benchmarking information services (vendor relations)" says, "Communicate early and often with vendors... the biggest assets you can have on hand are your vendor scorecards... learn your vendor's marketplace... determine where and how you should be spending your company's research funds."
Contribute your "My Favourite Tipples"
- Blog post title: My Favourite Tipples from a growth market expert
- Link to this page
- View printable version
- Jinfo research on benchmarking information services (vendor relations)
Monday, 26th June 2017
- My Favourite Tipples from a research consultant
Wednesday, 21st June 2017
- My Favourite Tipples from a business intelligence publisher
Wednesday, 7th June 2017
- My Favourite Tipples from a business consultant
Wednesday, 24th May 2017
Improve your negotiation position, measure performance of your portfolio of external content, and communicate more effectively with stakeholders.
A Jinfo Subscription gets you access to activity-based content to move your projects forward, plus dynamic peer group discussions on meaty topics.
- Enhancements to the Jinfo website
Thursday, 21st January 2021
- Research update - what matters most to smart information managers
Thursday, 21st January 2021
- Research update - what's your focus in 2021?
Thursday, 7th January 2021
- Mini review of M-Brain's Intelligence Plaza
Monday, 18th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (value - purchasing, development and competitor landscape)
Thursday, 14th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (technology - search & user interface; outputs & alerts; administration)
Wednesday, 13th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight
Monday, 11th January 2021
- Market landscape - patent products
Monday, 21st December 2020
- Product review of TRG Screen's Quest
Friday, 18th December 2020
- Negotiation clinic - role-play and Q&A (Community) Tuesday, 13th April 2021
- Usage data in contract negotiations (Community) Tuesday, 23rd March 2021
- Pricing models for information and data licensing (Community) Tuesday, 2nd March 2021
- Comparative product evaluation - breaking it down into manageable pieces (Webinar) Tuesday, 19th January 2021
- The importance of current awareness tracking (Webinar) Tuesday, 12th January 2021
- State of the Industry, 2021 (Webinar) Tuesday, 5th January 2021
Our proven processes, resources and guidance will help your team make the shift from transaction centre to strategic asset.
Designed around the most common challenges and pain points for time- and resource-strapped information teams
A tailored overview of our research and active discussion with your Jinfo analyst.
Measure your starting point to articulate your strengths and set priorities for future improvements. Assessments gauge risk, capacity, value and more.
Read case studies, and start the conversation: