My Favourite Tipples from a financial expert
Thursday, 27th July 2017
My Favourite Tipples are shared by Rachel Sestini, managing director of Sestini & Co, a tax and business consultancy specialising in working with high-growth business owners and with expatriates. She shares her favourite online go-to resources in the area of accountancy, tax and financial regulation.
In this world of information overload, it can be hard to know where to look to stay up to date without getting bogged down.
In the world of tax and accountancy, it's helpful to understand the current thinking which might trigger significant tax changes in the UK and abroad, as well as to understand changes to legislation and practice in a wide range of areas, such as financial reporting standards, banking disclosures and financial regulation.
My approach has been to sign up to one (or occasionally more) electronic newsletters in each area, so I can obtain an overview and delve deeper into specific stories or areas as they become relevant.
Here are a few examples:
- AccountingWeb: This site covers a myriad of areas of interest to accounting and finance professionals - and it's free. You can visit the site for articles on business, technology, tax and more as well as sign up for their free newsletter or ask experts a question. Current hot topics include Making Tax Digital and Brexit.
- Taxation Magazine: As well as the opportunity to subscribe to its hard copy offering, you can sign up to a free trial of the newsletter. It's a useful source for guidance, statistics and analysis of the impact of proposed changes.
- TaxAdviser: From the Chartered Institute of Taxation (CIOT), the site offers a wealth of free and subscriber-only content on issues including international and large corporate tax. Non-CIOT or Association of Taxation Technician (ATT) members can subscribe to the magazine and get access to all site articles.
- Information Commissioner's Office: For regulatory matters, rather than an opinion piece, it can be helpful to go back to the source. As data requirements come to the head of the agenda, the ICO website is proving invaluable.
- Financial Conduct Authority: Similarly, the FCA provides a wealth of information, tools and guidelines.
For more specific tax and accountancy research, dedicated technical resources such as FL Memo Tax Essentials and Tolley's are available on a subscription-only basis. The relevant membership organisations, including the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales and Chartered Institute of Taxation also have great resources available to members and students as well as regular eNewsfeeds.
An article in Jinfo which I found particularly interesting:
- The recent interview with Kim Dority in "Does your information team possess 'radical adaptability'?" caught my eye because it provides tips and inspiration for any leader who wants to make sure they and their team keep their skills honed and fit for the challenges the future holds.
Contribute your "My Favourite Tipples"
- Blog post title: My Favourite Tipples from a financial expert
- Link to this page
- View printable version
- Does your information team possess "radical adaptability"?
Thursday, 22nd June 2017
- My Favourite Tipples from a growth market expert
Wednesday, 5th July 2017
- My Favourite Tipples from a research consultant
Wednesday, 21st June 2017
- My Favourite Tipples from a business intelligence publisher
Wednesday, 7th June 2017
Improve your negotiation position, measure performance of your portfolio of external content, and communicate more effectively with stakeholders.
A Jinfo Subscription gets you access to activity-based content to move your projects forward, plus dynamic peer group discussions on meaty topics.
- Enhancements to the Jinfo website
Thursday, 21st January 2021
- Research update - what matters most to smart information managers
Thursday, 21st January 2021
- Research update - what's your focus in 2021?
Thursday, 7th January 2021
- Mini review of M-Brain's Intelligence Plaza
Monday, 18th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (value - purchasing, development and competitor landscape)
Thursday, 14th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (technology - search & user interface; outputs & alerts; administration)
Wednesday, 13th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight
Monday, 11th January 2021
- Market landscape - patent products
Monday, 21st December 2020
- Product review of TRG Screen's Quest
Friday, 18th December 2020
- Negotiation clinic - role-play and Q&A (Community) Tuesday, 13th April 2021
- Usage data in contract negotiations (Community) Tuesday, 23rd March 2021
- Pricing models for information and data licensing (Community) Tuesday, 2nd March 2021
- Comparative product evaluation - breaking it down into manageable pieces (Webinar) Tuesday, 19th January 2021
- The importance of current awareness tracking (Webinar) Tuesday, 12th January 2021
- State of the Industry, 2021 (Webinar) Tuesday, 5th January 2021
Our proven processes, resources and guidance will help your team make the shift from transaction centre to strategic asset.
Designed around the most common challenges and pain points for time- and resource-strapped information teams
A tailored overview of our research and active discussion with your Jinfo analyst.
Measure your starting point to articulate your strengths and set priorities for future improvements. Assessments gauge risk, capacity, value and more.
Read case studies, and start the conversation: