My Favourite Tipples from a senior research analyst
Wednesday, 9th August 2017
By Nancy Snell
My Favourite Tipples are shared by Nancy Snell, a research and information professional with over 20 years of experience in research, analysis, competitive intelligence, project management and strategy development primarily with consulting firms.
As a research lead for a global consulting company, I cover a broad range of topics and industries, but the bulk of my research has been focused on retail and consumer products. While I have access to subscription databases and resources for specific project work, I also have a few key sources for daily doses of retail.
- NRF Smartbrief is a daily newsletter that covers all things retail and is produced by Smartbrief in association with the National Retail Federation. They provide headlines, a summary of the content and a link to the original source. The links are a mix of free and paid resources. Smartbrief produces more than 200 niche email newsletters in partnership with industry associations.
- Retail Systems Research is a research group that also produces public content in the form of webinars, benchmarks and insights on retail-specific business and technology issues ranging from omnichannel, customer relationship management and more. I rely on the benchmarks for industry data and the newsletters keep me informed on current trends in retail technology. Both are free with profile registration.
- Women's Wear Daily (WWD): My friends laugh when I mention Women's Wear Daily because they know I hate shopping and they find it funny that I know all the latest fashion trends. I read it for the business side of the companies they cover in apparel, beauty and footwear, but having a few conversation starters on trends is good too!
- S&P Capital IQ: This is my favourite go-to database for competitive intelligence. The key developments provide a current and historical timeline of information for key executive changes, acquisitions, lawsuits and more. I can find transcripts for quarterly earnings, annual reports, mergers & acquisitions, transaction information and financials.
- I will be in the path of the solar eclipse that is moving across the US on Monday 21st August. The US National Aeronautics and Space Administration agency (NASA) is one of the best sources for all things eclipse. I'm reading about the best viewing spots, hunting for proper glasses, figuring out photography tricks and hoping it won't be raining.
An article in Jinfo which I found particularly interesting:
- I'm always looking for ways to think "outside of the box" which in my case involves highly focused research. Jinfo keeps me aware of the broader information industry trends and changes. Right now, my bulletin board houses a copy of "Future-proof your information service", one of the insights from Jinfo's recent research into benchmarking information services. The insight reminds me to always think in terms of reinvention or as I would say – outside of the box.
Contribute your "My Favourite Tipples"
- Blog post title: My Favourite Tipples from a senior research analyst
- Link to this page
- View printable version
- My Favourite Tipples from a financial expert
Thursday, 27th July 2017
- My Favourite Tipples from a growth market expert
Wednesday, 5th July 2017
- My Favourite Tipples from a research consultant
Wednesday, 21st June 2017
- Benchmark information services - optimise your structure
Tuesday, 4th July 2017
Improve your negotiation position, measure performance of your portfolio of external content, and communicate more effectively with stakeholders.
A Jinfo Subscription gets you access to activity-based content to move your projects forward, plus dynamic peer group discussions on meaty topics.
- Enhancements to the Jinfo website
Thursday, 21st January 2021
- Research update - what matters most to smart information managers
Thursday, 21st January 2021
- Research update - what's your focus in 2021?
Thursday, 7th January 2021
- Mini review of M-Brain's Intelligence Plaza
Monday, 18th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (value - purchasing, development and competitor landscape)
Thursday, 14th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (technology - search & user interface; outputs & alerts; administration)
Wednesday, 13th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight
Monday, 11th January 2021
- Market landscape - patent products
Monday, 21st December 2020
- Product review of TRG Screen's Quest
Friday, 18th December 2020
- Negotiation clinic - role-play and Q&A (Community) Tuesday, 13th April 2021
- Usage data in contract negotiations (Community) Tuesday, 23rd March 2021
- Pricing models for information and data licensing (Community) Tuesday, 2nd March 2021
- Comparative product evaluation - breaking it down into manageable pieces (Webinar) Tuesday, 19th January 2021
- The importance of current awareness tracking (Webinar) Tuesday, 12th January 2021
- State of the Industry, 2021 (Webinar) Tuesday, 5th January 2021
Our proven processes, resources and guidance will help your team make the shift from transaction centre to strategic asset.
Designed around the most common challenges and pain points for time- and resource-strapped information teams
A tailored overview of our research and active discussion with your Jinfo analyst.
Measure your starting point to articulate your strengths and set priorities for future improvements. Assessments gauge risk, capacity, value and more.
Read case studies, and start the conversation: