Jinfo for content purchasing
Monday, 14th January 2019
Do you have a strategy and vision for using data strategically and effectively? Do you feel on top of the move from purchasing information products to licensing data sources? Read our blog from Jinfo's director of research, Robin Neidorf, to find out how Jinfo resources and events can help.
How do we manage the shift in focus from purchasing information products to licensing data sources?
This is one of the most consistent questions raised during Jinfo's one-on-one and group discussions with professionals responsible for content purchasing.
It may be expressed in a number of different ways. A few examples that may resonate with you:
- What should we expect from vendors regarding terms and conditions for licensing data?
- Why are vendors all over the map with their approach to data licensing?
- My usual sources are incompatible with our data systems (or too expensive, or otherwise unusable in a data-first environment); where do we find viable alternatives?
- My stakeholders want to use data from a source we can't license (or can't afford, or duplicates something we already have); how do I educate them?
And, of course, most of you are in organisations that lack their own central strategy and vision for how they want to use data strategically and effectively. Which makes it extremely difficult to know which questions are mission-critical for you to answer, and which are simply anxiety-provoking.
What you can do right now as a content purchaser
Your role as a source expert has never been more important than it is in this environment. What's more, in this evolving world, it's essential to be pooling information and experiences with other information professionals. Here are our best tips for conquering the learning curve and influencing the environment for data usage and licensing:
- Study real-world examples: the more specific you (and your stakeholders) can get about what you want to achieve with data, the easier it is to make licensing decisions. Recent Jinfo articles discuss technology changes in the legal, pharmaceutical and manufacturing industries, offering real-world examples of data usage (among other things).
- Master the framework for success: many organisations approach data-driven projects without a strong foundation in how to make technology-driven projects demonstrably successful (as in... show me the ROI). Examine the "Jinfo model - mapping technology readiness" to identify where you fit in the continuum, and consider ways to close the gap between current state and ideal state.
- Join a Community session with other content purchasers: our confidential online sessions offer unique opportunities to discuss your challenges and headaches with others just like you. Our next Jinfo for content purchasing Community session gives you a much-needed hour for a sanity-check and fresh ideas from your peers. These fill up, so register now.
No Jinfo Subscription? Learn more about how Jinfo supports professionals responsible for content purchasing, and contact our team today to ask how to get taster access.
- Blog post title: Jinfo for content purchasing
- Link to this page
- View printable version
- Is premium content fuelling the value of your service?
Monday, 5th November 2018
- Insight 2 from Research Focus on intelligence systems - the top aggregator positions are shifting
Monday, 22nd October 2018
- Jinfo for content purchasing
Friday, 5th October 2018
Latest in this Focus: Get started adapting the model to your environment with step-by-step guidance on practical activities for strategic planning. Define your own future where information is a strategic asset to your organisation.
What clients say about Centre of Excellence:
"My colleagues and I used your Known Fors activity, and we now have a vision as to who we are going to be. We already achieved ROI... a sincere thanks!" Director of Research and Information Services, international law firm
A Jinfo Subscription gets you access to activity-based content to move your projects forward, plus dynamic peer group discussions on meaty topics.
- Research update - design your strongest future as a Centre of Excellence
Thursday, 3rd June 2021
- The Information Centre of Excellence – a flexible model of value, resilience and strategy
Tuesday, 25th May 2021
- Research update - one step at a time towards developing scorecards
Thursday, 20th May 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step three - envision your Known Fors)
Thursday, 10th June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step two - create your Pillars of Service)
Wednesday, 26th May 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step one - map your services to the model)
Tuesday, 25th May 2021
- Community deck - scorecards - how information teams are designing and using them
Wednesday, 2nd June 2021
- Community deck - negotiation clinic - role-play and Q&A
Monday, 26th April 2021
- Community deck - usage data in contract negotiations
Thursday, 1st April 2021
- Centre of Excellence - make progress on your evolution, with your peers (Community) Tuesday, 13th July 2021
- Centre of Excellence - examples of Pillars of Service and Known Fors (Community) Tuesday, 15th June 2021
- Scorecards - how information teams are designing and using them (Community) Tuesday, 25th May 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step three - envision your Known Fors) (Webinar) Thursday, 10th June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step two - create your Pillars of Service) (Webinar) Wednesday, 26th May 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step one - map your services to the model) (Webinar) Tuesday, 25th May 2021
Our proven processes, resources and guidance will help your team make the shift from transaction centre to strategic asset.
Designed around the most common challenges and pain points for time- and resource-strapped information teams
A tailored overview of our research and active discussion with your Jinfo analyst.
Measure your starting point to articulate your strengths and set priorities for future improvements. Assessments gauge risk, capacity, value and more.
Read case studies, and start the conversation: