Overcoming the inertia... of motion - Jinfo for information strategy
Tuesday, 5th November 2019
Strategy and optimisation are two sides of the same problem: the traps of culture and habit. Jinfo's director of research, Robin Neidorf, highlights resources that help you overcome inertia and make progress on strategy.
Culture eats strategy for breakfast.
Peter Drucker originated this statement, and it was later made famous by Mark Fields, president at Ford.
We see it play out all the time in the information teams - and their organisations - we work with. Strategy generates excitement, but when it comes down to the nitty-gritty of actual change, the grooves of habit trap us in the reality of day-to-day activities.
That's why we at Jinfo emphasise that strategy and optimisation are two sides of the same problem. Strategy is where you create the vision; optimisation is where you do the action.
Getting over inertia
We often think of inertia as the difficulty of getting going, but the principle of inertia actually has two parts:
- An object at rest will tend to stay at rest;
- An object in motion will tend to stay in motion.
I've highlighted the second of these because this is where most of us struggle in realising our strategies. We can't stop moving long enough to plan and create the thoughtful changes needed to meet the future.
We understand this problem. All of us face it, no one more so than me! This is why we design Jinfo resources to be practical, bite-sized whilst still meaty, and focused on the next right action.
To make 2020 the year you push past inertia, use the following resources:
Many of you are familiar with Jinfo models - reports that are designed to enable you to interact with our ideas and frameworks for change instead of just reading about them. The following are our top picks for setting strategy and making the little steps, consistently, to make progress over time:
- Maturity model for value-based operations
- Jinfo model - "known fors"
- Jinfo model - "pillars of service"
- Jinfo model - mapping your service to the Centre of Excellence model
Community session - Jinfo for information strategy
Join our next Community session on Jinfo for information strategy, Monday, 2nd December, to trade ideas with your peers in a facilitated, confidential environment. We talk about what works for changing the culture, one habit at a time, to increase the value and visibility of information in your environment.
If you can't make it to the session, you can access the anonymised notes, published as a report in the Jinfo Subscription.
Workshops: Strategy, optimisation and more
For tailored work with Jinfo analysts, consider adding Jinfo Consulting workshops to your 2020 planning:
- Assessment and planning workshop - benchmarking-based evaluation and workshop to identify high-impact areas for strategic planning
- Future-proof your information service - our best jump-start and guide on strategic planning
- Do better with less: workflow optimisation - tackle the "culture" side of strategy, by changing how work gets done.
Learn more about our workshops, and use the contact forms on any of the pages to start a conversation with our staff.
Whether you have difficulty starting your strategy, or you have the vision but no roadmap yet, Jinfo can help you get where you need to go.
Five newly recorded webinars on how to complete the activities in our Focus on Value Chain now available.
Express value the way stakeholders do with Value Chain analysis
"I can now sit in a meeting with my stakeholders and articulate the role information plays in their workflows. They understand our contribution to their success." Information Senior Scientist, heavy manufacturing industry
With Jinfo Consulting, you get accountability, fine-tuned guidance and industry-wide perspective.
- Capacity comes from strategy
Wednesday, 15th September 2021
- Tie portfolio value to commercial impact
Monday, 13th September 2021
- Theory, practice, and demonstrating ROI
Thursday, 9th September 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step five - your evolution work plan)
Wednesday, 11th August 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step four - assess your team’s characteristics)
Tuesday, 22nd June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step three - envision your Known Fors)
Thursday, 10th June 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - make progress on your evolution, with your peers
Friday, 23rd July 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - examples of Pillars of Service and Known Fors
Wednesday, 23rd June 2021
- Community deck - scorecards - how information teams are designing and using them
Wednesday, 2nd June 2021
- Investment philosophies for strategic portfolio management (Community) Thursday, 2nd December 2021
- Negotiation role-play for content licensing professionals (Community) Thursday, 7th October 2021
- Teeing up value-based budget conversations for content licensing (Community) Tuesday, 21st September 2021
- Value Chain (step five - putting the Value Chain together) (Webinar) Tuesday, 31st August 2021
- Value Chain (step four - measurement - selecting and collecting data) (Webinar) Monday, 30th August 2021
- Value Chain (step three - your contributions to the Value Chain) (Webinar) Friday, 27th August 2021
Our proven processes, resources and guidance will help your team make the shift from transaction centre to strategic asset.
Designed around the most common challenges and pain points for time- and resource-strapped information teams
A tailored overview of our research and active discussion with your Jinfo analyst.
Measure your starting point to articulate your strengths and set priorities for future improvements. Assessments gauge risk, capacity, value and more.
Read case studies, and start the conversation: