Jinfo model for developing an approach to understanding and measuring value
9th November 2016
Value is more than cost or usage, searches or seats; the definition varies across organisations and is hard to quantify. Jinfo's "Model for developing an approach to understanding and measuring value" which contains a number of activities to use in your own organisation to help you develop your own formula (or, more likely, set of formulas) to answer the question of value.
- Describes how, before measuring value, you need to understand the organisation's goals
- Outlines six categories of business goals
- Includes a table to map the objectives against characteristics of information products and services
- Explains how using this in your business can generate more meaningful discussions about return on investment
- Reveals why it's important to research and understand what different stakeholders think about value and the different perspectives they bring through viewpoints, business objectives, engagement and influence
- Includes a stakeholder mapping exercise
- Explains how to achieve "best measurements" for your organisation and your business objectives, and where the data to feed into those measurements could come from
- Includes an activity that will allow you to develop the right metrics to validate the impact of information products and services in your organisation
- Contains our "checklist for reframing value approach and measurement" which will help you work through the components of value, and budget staff time every year to work on reviewing and revising your methods of measuring value, to respond to changing priorities.
Produced by Robin Neidorf
Access to Jinfo articles and reports is a benefit of a Jinfo Subscription.
Does your organisation have a Jinfo Subscription?
"Yes, we subscribe"
Please sign in here so that we can check your access to this item:
Submit the Subscription Question form to find out if someone in your organisation already has a subscription or to discuss your questions or requirements.
Or use the 'Text Chat' button at the bottom-right of this page for immediate assistance.
- Report title: Jinfo model for developing an approach to understanding and measuring value
- Pages: 14
- Link to this page
- View printable version
- Documenting the value chain (part 3 - innovation)
Wednesday, 26th June 2019
- Documenting the value chain (part 2 - efficiency)
Tuesday, 25th June 2019
- Documenting the value chain (part 1 - growing revenue)
Friday, 21st June 2019
- Information centres in unusual places
Tuesday, 27th June 2017
- Getting clarity on data analytics projects
Thursday, 5th January 2017
- Strategic planning - setting strategic objectives
Monday, 14th November 2016
- Strategic planning - understanding stakeholders and what they value
Friday, 11th November 2016
- Strategic planning - aligning information strategy with the business
Thursday, 10th November 2016
- Strategic planning - value depends on context
Wednesday, 9th November 2016
Document the value chain, and transform the way you think about, manage and report on your product portfolio and your information service contributions to your organisation goals.
Director of Research Robin Neidorf describes the benefits of a Consulting Pilot on Value Chain, to tailor this process to your needs and environment:
- Research update - what's your focus in 2021?
Thursday, 7th January 2021
- Research update - peeking around the corner to 2021
Thursday, 17th December 2020
- Research update - what can you leverage in 2021?
Thursday, 3rd December 2020
- Mini review of M-Brain's Intelligence Plaza
Monday, 18th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (value - purchasing, development and competitor landscape)
Thursday, 14th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (technology - search & user interface; outputs & alerts; administration)
Wednesday, 13th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight
Monday, 11th January 2021
- Market landscape - patent products
Monday, 21st December 2020
- Product review of TRG Screen's Quest
Friday, 18th December 2020
- Negotiation clinic - role-play and Q&A (Community) Tuesday, 13th April 2021
- Usage data in contract negotiations (Community) Tuesday, 23rd March 2021
- Pricing models for information and data licensing (Community) Tuesday, 2nd March 2021
- Comparative product evaluation - breaking it down into manageable pieces (Webinar) Tuesday, 19th January 2021
- The importance of current awareness tracking (Webinar) Tuesday, 12th January 2021
- State of the Industry, 2021 (Webinar) Tuesday, 5th January 2021