Jinfo model for developing an approach to understanding and measuring value
9th November 2016
Value is more than cost or usage, searches or seats; the definition varies across organisations and is hard to quantify. Jinfo's "Model for developing an approach to understanding and measuring value" which contains a number of activities to use in your own organisation to help you develop your own formula (or, more likely, set of formulas) to answer the question of value.
- Describes how, before measuring value, you need to understand the organisation's goals
- Outlines six categories of business goals
- Includes a table to map the objectives against characteristics of information products and services
- Explains how using this in your business can generate more meaningful discussions about return on investment
- Reveals why it's important to research and understand what different stakeholders think about value and the different perspectives they bring through viewpoints, business objectives, engagement and influence
- Includes a stakeholder mapping exercise
- Explains how to achieve "best measurements" for your organisation and your business objectives, and where the data to feed into those measurements could come from
- Includes an activity that will allow you to develop the right metrics to validate the impact of information products and services in your organisation
- Contains our "checklist for reframing value approach and measurement" which will help you work through the components of value, and budget staff time every year to work on reviewing and revising your methods of measuring value, to respond to changing priorities.
Produced by Robin Neidorf
Access to Jinfo articles and reports is available to Jinfo clients.
Is your organisation a Jinfo client?
Please sign in here so that we can check your access to this item:
- Report title: Jinfo model for developing an approach to understanding and measuring value
- Pages: 14
- Link to this page
- View printable version
- Documenting the value chain (part 3 - innovation)
Wednesday, 26th June 2019
- Documenting the value chain (part 2 - efficiency)
Tuesday, 25th June 2019
- Documenting the value chain (part 1 - growing revenue)
Friday, 21st June 2019
- Information centres in unusual places
Tuesday, 27th June 2017
- Getting clarity on data analytics projects
Thursday, 5th January 2017
- Strategic planning - setting strategic objectives
Monday, 14th November 2016
- Strategic planning - understanding stakeholders and what they value
Friday, 11th November 2016
- Strategic planning - aligning information strategy with the business
Thursday, 10th November 2016
- Strategic planning - value depends on context
Wednesday, 9th November 2016
"Is your strategic plan in a mid-year slump?"
15th June 2022
If progress on your strategy seems stuck, it may be time to revisit your operational plan. The latest resources in Jinfo's Focus on Centre of Excellence offer step-by-step guidance on how to break down a Big Vision into manageable, measurable pieces. Learn more about the practical steps you can take to get from Point A to Point B without overloading your team's capacity.Read on the Blog
- Meet these four requirements to make progress on information strategy
Wednesday, 29th June 2022
- Is your strategic plan in a mid-year slump?
Wednesday, 15th June 2022
- Does your data tell a story to your stakeholders?
Wednesday, 25th May 2022
- The Inside Circle – let’s talk talent (Community) Monday, 31st October 2022
- The Inside Circle – let’s talk suppliers (Community) Friday, 30th September 2022
- Plan your work, work your plan (Community) Thursday, 9th June 2022
- Centre of Excellence (step seven - ready, aim, fire) (Webinar) Tuesday, 28th June 2022
- Centre of Excellence (step six - making strategy operational) (Webinar) Wednesday, 15th June 2022
- Making data meaningful (Webinar) Tuesday, 17th May 2022