Jinfo model for developing an approach to understanding and measuring value
9th November 2016
Value is more than cost or usage, searches or seats; the definition varies across organisations and is hard to quantify. Jinfo's "Model for developing an approach to understanding and measuring value" which contains a number of activities to use in your own organisation to help you develop your own formula (or, more likely, set of formulas) to answer the question of value.
- Describes how, before measuring value, you need to understand the organisation's goals
- Outlines six categories of business goals
- Includes a table to map the objectives against characteristics of information products and services
- Explains how using this in your business can generate more meaningful discussions about return on investment
- Reveals why it's important to research and understand what different stakeholders think about value and the different perspectives they bring through viewpoints, business objectives, engagement and influence
- Includes a stakeholder mapping exercise
- Explains how to achieve "best measurements" for your organisation and your business objectives, and where the data to feed into those measurements could come from
- Includes an activity that will allow you to develop the right metrics to validate the impact of information products and services in your organisation
- Contains our "checklist for reframing value approach and measurement" which will help you work through the components of value, and budget staff time every year to work on reviewing and revising your methods of measuring value, to respond to changing priorities.
Produced by Robin Neidorf
Access to Jinfo articles and reports is a benefit of a Jinfo Subscription.
Does your organisation have a Jinfo Subscription?
"Yes, we subscribe"
Please sign in here so that we can check your access to this item:
Submit the Subscription Question form to find out if someone in your organisation already has a subscription or to discuss your questions or requirements.
Or use the 'Text Chat' button at the bottom-right of this page for immediate assistance.
- Report title: Jinfo model for developing an approach to understanding and measuring value
- Pages: 14
- Link to this page
- View printable version
- Documenting the value chain (part 3 - innovation)
Wednesday, 26th June 2019
- Documenting the value chain (part 2 - efficiency)
Tuesday, 25th June 2019
- Documenting the value chain (part 1 - growing revenue)
Friday, 21st June 2019
- Information centres in unusual places
Tuesday, 27th June 2017
- Getting clarity on data analytics projects
Thursday, 5th January 2017
- Strategic planning - setting strategic objectives
Monday, 14th November 2016
- Strategic planning - understanding stakeholders and what they value
Friday, 11th November 2016
- Strategic planning - aligning information strategy with the business
Thursday, 10th November 2016
- Strategic planning - value depends on context
Wednesday, 9th November 2016
Latest in this Focus: Get started adapting the model to your environment with step-by-step guidance on practical activities for strategic planning. Define your own future where information is a strategic asset to your organisation.
What clients say about Centre of Excellence:
"My colleagues and I used your Known Fors activity, and we now have a vision as to who we are going to be. We already achieved ROI... a sincere thanks!" Director of Research and Information Services, international law firm
A Jinfo Subscription gets you access to activity-based content to move your projects forward, plus dynamic peer group discussions on meaty topics.
- Research update - design your strongest future as a Centre of Excellence
Thursday, 3rd June 2021
- The Information Centre of Excellence – a flexible model of value, resilience and strategy
Tuesday, 25th May 2021
- Research update - one step at a time towards developing scorecards
Thursday, 20th May 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step three - envision your Known Fors)
Thursday, 10th June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step two - create your Pillars of Service)
Wednesday, 26th May 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step one - map your services to the model)
Tuesday, 25th May 2021
- Community deck - scorecards - how information teams are designing and using them
Wednesday, 2nd June 2021
- Community deck - negotiation clinic - role-play and Q&A
Monday, 26th April 2021
- Community deck - usage data in contract negotiations
Thursday, 1st April 2021
- Centre of Excellence - make progress on your evolution, with your peers (Community) Tuesday, 13th July 2021
- Centre of Excellence - examples of Pillars of Service and Known Fors (Community) Tuesday, 15th June 2021
- Scorecards - how information teams are designing and using them (Community) Tuesday, 25th May 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step three - envision your Known Fors) (Webinar) Thursday, 10th June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step two - create your Pillars of Service) (Webinar) Wednesday, 26th May 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step one - map your services to the model) (Webinar) Tuesday, 25th May 2021