Evaluating information products
24th November 2020
The evaluation of products and information sources is a core activity for information professionals. It involves assessing current and future needs of users, whether any gaps are being addressed and ensuring value is being delivered to the organisation.
In a five-part series of articles, Jinfo looks at the steps involved in laying the foundations for a successful evaluation process, including the process for evaluating comparative products and sources, factors impacting product evaluation, and the value of following a set process. We also highlight a comprehensive comparative analysis of patent research projects conducted by the InfoCenter at Cargill as well as presenting activities and examples of best practice.
We look at:
- What needs to be done to lay the foundations for a successful evaluation process; including defining the business need and planning the project
- The methodology involved
- How to get participants involved and develop criteria for testing and documentation
- How to identify a list of products, how to create an initial review of products and user testing of the products and capturing data
- The outcome from the final evaluation stage of the project which involves aggregating and analysing data, and presenting recommendations and learning points.
Access to Jinfo articles and reports is a benefit of a Jinfo Subscription.
Does your organisation have a Jinfo Subscription?
"Yes, we subscribe"
Please sign in here so that we can check your access to this item:
Submit the Subscription Question form to find out if someone in your organisation already has a subscription or to discuss your questions or requirements.
Or use the 'Text Chat' button at the bottom-right of this page for immediate assistance.
- Report title: Evaluating information products
- Pages: 23
- Link to this page
- View printable version
- Evaluating information products (step four - outcome and learning points)
Tuesday, 24th November 2020
- Evaluating information products (step three - testing the products)
Monday, 23rd November 2020
- Evaluating information products (step two - design)
Friday, 20th November 2020
- Evaluating information products (step one - scoping and laying the foundation)
Thursday, 19th November 2020
- Evaluating information products (introduction)
Wednesday, 18th November 2020
Latest in this Focus: Get started adapting the model to your environment with step-by-step guidance on practical activities for strategic planning. Define your own future where information is a strategic asset to your organisation.
What clients say about Centre of Excellence:
"My colleagues and I used your Known Fors activity, and we now have a vision as to who we are going to be. We already achieved ROI... a sincere thanks!" Director of Research and Information Services, international law firm
A Jinfo Subscription gets you access to activity-based content to move your projects forward, plus dynamic peer group discussions on meaty topics.
- Research update - one process, three new tangible benefits
Thursday, 22nd July 2021
- Research update - resolve the frustrations of content portfolio management
Thursday, 8th July 2021
- Research update - what do you want to be known for?
Thursday, 17th June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step four - assess your team’s characteristics)
Tuesday, 22nd June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step three - envision your Known Fors)
Thursday, 10th June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step two - create your Pillars of Service)
Wednesday, 26th May 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - make progress on your evolution, with your peers
Friday, 23rd July 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - examples of Pillars of Service and Known Fors
Wednesday, 23rd June 2021
- Community deck - scorecards - how information teams are designing and using them
Wednesday, 2nd June 2021
- Investment philosophies for strategic portfolio management (Community) Thursday, 2nd December 2021
- Negotiation role-play for content licensing professionals (Community) Thursday, 7th October 2021
- Teeing up value-based budget conversations for content licensing (Community) Tuesday, 21st September 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step four - assess your team’s characteristics) (Webinar) Tuesday, 22nd June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step three - envision your Known Fors) (Webinar) Thursday, 10th June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step two - create your Pillars of Service) (Webinar) Wednesday, 26th May 2021