Evaluating information products
24th November 2020
The evaluation of products and information sources is a core activity for information professionals. It involves assessing current and future needs of users, whether any gaps are being addressed and ensuring value is being delivered to the organisation.
In a five-part series of articles, Jinfo looks at the steps involved in laying the foundations for a successful evaluation process, including the process for evaluating comparative products and sources, factors impacting product evaluation, and the value of following a set process. We also highlight a comprehensive comparative analysis of patent research projects conducted by the InfoCenter at Cargill as well as presenting activities and examples of best practice.
We look at:
- What needs to be done to lay the foundations for a successful evaluation process; including defining the business need and planning the project
- The methodology involved
- How to get participants involved and develop criteria for testing and documentation
- How to identify a list of products, how to create an initial review of products and user testing of the products and capturing data
- The outcome from the final evaluation stage of the project which involves aggregating and analysing data, and presenting recommendations and learning points.
Access to Jinfo Content and Community is available to Jinfo clients.
Is your organisation a Jinfo client?
Please sign in here so that we can check your access to this item:
- Evaluating information products (step four - outcome and learning points)
Tuesday, 24th November 2020
- Evaluating information products (step three - testing the products)
Monday, 23rd November 2020
- Evaluating information products (step two - design)
Friday, 20th November 2020
- Evaluating information products (step one - scoping and laying the foundation)
Thursday, 19th November 2020
- Evaluating information products (introduction)
Wednesday, 18th November 2020
Upcoming Community sessions
- The Inside Circle – let's talk suppliers,
Thursday, 29th September 2022
The final quarter can feel daunting; a busy operating period often combined with a large number of contract renewals. Negotiations are increasingly difficult; a value based approach can provide useful levers. Learn about the practical strategies you can employ to drive the negotiating process.Read on the Blog
- Are you in a proactive state of resilience? Preparing for contract negotiations
Wednesday, 13th July 2022
- The value of information remains at the heart of it all
Friday, 8th July 2022
- Meet these four requirements to make progress on information strategy
Wednesday, 29th June 2022
- The Inside Circle – let’s talk suppliers (Community) Thursday, 29th September 2022
- Plan your work, work your plan (Community) Thursday, 9th June 2022
- Value Chain foundation – mastering the mindset (Community) Thursday, 5th May 2022
- Centre of Excellence (step seven - ready, aim, fire) (Webinar) Tuesday, 28th June 2022
- Centre of Excellence (step six - making strategy operational) (Webinar) Wednesday, 15th June 2022
- Making data meaningful (Webinar) Tuesday, 17th May 2022