Content licensing – we get it
Monday, 25th October 2021
Why is it so hard for information professionals to influence and drive an organisation’s strategy? This latest Jinfo blog offers insights from our most recent Community session on content licensing; and outlines what’s coming up next.
It's an evergreen topic at conferences, and indeed at any time or place where information professionals congregate: Why is it so hard for us to influence and drive the organisation's information strategy?
In a world where information is gold, we shouldn't ever hear about information teams being outsourced or dismantled.
In Jinfo's Focus on Content Portfolio, those of us with expertise and interest in the details of content licensing find our peer group – the other people who "get it" and are taking a variety of approaches to articulating value. You can learn from them; I learn a lot from them.
From last month's Community session, "Teeing up value-based conversations for content licensing", here are a handful of the insights shared by participants:
[We are] creating communities of interest made up of the people who can best provide feedback and perform evaluations. Bringing the right people to the table and controlling the process – the right goals, with a facilitator, holding to timelines – can really help.
We have a very formal content advisory board with representatives from each of our businesses. In the first year of the board, our main project was simply to share a comprehensive list of what we license and who uses it. Now that they've had that background, we can talk more about how products are used and why. These discussions need to happen live, not via email, and the people involved must have budget authority.
We always have a documented list of what we expect from our vendors – objective things that can be measured. Making them aware of these standards gives us some control in negotiations.
We have only a few seats left in the upcoming Community session, "Investment philosophies for strategic portfolio management" – contact me at email@example.com, and if you're a Jinfo client, I can try to get you in.
If you have questions or frustrations about licensing, value, or why you have to re-educate stakeholders every few years, your peer group is waiting to help. Contact me at any time to learn more.
"My stakeholders finally understand what we do" – Senior Information Manager, manufacturing industry
Work on information strategy in 2022 with Jinfo if you want to:
- Measure, communicate and improve the ROI of information
- Consistently dedicate time to strategy, despite competing demands
- Build on methods tested and proven in other organisations.
For more on how your organisation benefits and how to get started, check out our "Spotlight on strategy".
- There's no information strategy without stakeholder engagement
Wednesday, 1st December 2021
- Measure the impact of information with Value Chain analysis
Monday, 22nd November 2021
- You know more than you think you do
Tuesday, 16th November 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step five - your evolution work plan)
Wednesday, 11th August 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step four - assess your team’s characteristics)
Tuesday, 22nd June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step three - envision your Known Fors)
Thursday, 10th June 2021
- Community deck - negotiation role-play for content licensing professionals
Monday, 18th October 2021
- Community deck - teeing up value-based budget conversations for content licensing
Thursday, 30th September 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - make progress on your evolution, with your peers
Friday, 23rd July 2021
- Stakeholder engagement strategy – tips and tools (Community) Tuesday, 22nd February 2022
- Overcoming the barriers to progress on information strategy (Community) Tuesday, 11th January 2022
- Investment philosophies for strategic portfolio management (Community) Thursday, 2nd December 2021
- Value Chain (step five - putting the Value Chain together) (Webinar) Tuesday, 31st August 2021
- Value Chain (step four - measurement - selecting and collecting data) (Webinar) Monday, 30th August 2021
- Value Chain (step three - your contributions to the Value Chain) (Webinar) Friday, 27th August 2021