Thought leadership in data analytics
Friday, 19th January 2018
Find out why we invited Marc Vollenweider of Evalueserve to be honorary producer on our Research Focus, "Stake your claim in the success of data analytics"
- Challenge my assumptions about what problem I'm really trying to solve
- Take a broad view of the industry, pulling examples from fields that may look at first to be unrelated
- Look beyond their own experience - and capabilities - to consider what will be truly transformational
- Are eager to engage with others and have their own assumptions challenged.
Against these standards, much of what passes for "thought leadership" can turn into self-promotion. I value the perspectives and opinions of consultants and business professionals with years of experience to draw on, but rarely do their articles, presentations or books rise to the level of thought leadership.
Marc Vollenweider, co-founder of Evalueserve, is the real deal. My interview with Marc takes on the topic of data analytics, and the fundamental gaps in organisations, processes, skills and resources that result in projects falling short of potential.
Why thought leadership? Marc steps back from the undeniable excitement around the power of new technologies to run complex modelling, combine disparate datasets and extract meaning to challenge the basic assumptions about what we really need to do:
It's not about mastering the technology; it's about defining the use-case.
Jinfo's Research Focus, "Stake your claim in the success of data analytics", explores this kind of re-definition of the problem from a number of different angles. The role for information teams might be to expand their skills in the direction of data science; just as logically, their role might be to focus on taxonomies, use-case management and data governance that create long-term strategy and success.
Because of Marc's influence on Jinfo's research, we have named him an honorary producer for this Research Focus. As a result, we've been able to partner with Evalueserve to bring you the following:
- Complimentary copies of Marc's book, "Mind+Machine", provided to selected Jinfo customers (learn more about the book here)
- Jinfo Webinar, "Mapping the full use-case to create success with analytics", featuring Marc as our speaker
- Jinfo Community session, "Designing, managing and improving analytics use-cases", based on the practical concepts of Mind+Machine.
I hope you'll find the ideas and principles of Evalueserve and of Marc Vollenweider as provocative and inspiring as I have - and that you carve out some time to dig into all the research, articles and reviews we produced in this Research Focus. Request the Insights and Actions report to get up to speed quickly.
- Blog post title: Thought leadership in data analytics
- Link to this page
- View printable version
- Guide to value in the Jinfo Research Focus "Stake your claim in the success of data analytics"
Friday, 12th January 2018
- Q&A with Evalueserve - straight talking on data analytics
Monday, 27th November 2017
- Overview - Usecasehub from Evalueserve
Friday, 15th December 2017
Improve your negotiation position, measure performance of your portfolio of external content, and communicate more effectively with stakeholders.
A Jinfo Subscription gets you access to activity-based content to move your projects forward, plus dynamic peer group discussions on meaty topics.
- Enhancements to the Jinfo website
Thursday, 21st January 2021
- Research update - what matters most to smart information managers
Thursday, 21st January 2021
- Research update - what's your focus in 2021?
Thursday, 7th January 2021
- Mini review of M-Brain's Intelligence Plaza
Monday, 18th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (value - purchasing, development and competitor landscape)
Thursday, 14th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (technology - search & user interface; outputs & alerts; administration)
Wednesday, 13th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight
Monday, 11th January 2021
- Market landscape - patent products
Monday, 21st December 2020
- Product review of TRG Screen's Quest
Friday, 18th December 2020
- Negotiation clinic - role-play and Q&A (Community) Tuesday, 13th April 2021
- Usage data in contract negotiations (Community) Tuesday, 23rd March 2021
- Pricing models for information and data licensing (Community) Tuesday, 2nd March 2021
- Comparative product evaluation - breaking it down into manageable pieces (Webinar) Tuesday, 19th January 2021
- The importance of current awareness tracking (Webinar) Tuesday, 12th January 2021
- State of the Industry, 2021 (Webinar) Tuesday, 5th January 2021
Our proven processes, resources and guidance will help your team make the shift from transaction centre to strategic asset.
Designed around the most common challenges and pain points for time- and resource-strapped information teams
A tailored overview of our research and active discussion with your Jinfo analyst.
Measure your starting point to articulate your strengths and set priorities for future improvements. Assessments gauge risk, capacity, value and more.
Read case studies, and start the conversation: