Emerging needs of law firms revealed in Jinfo's research
Wednesday, 25th July 2018
After taking a break last year, Jinfo's "Research on UK legal purchasing preferences and needs" is back for 2018 and you won't want to miss it. In this, our eighth survey since we began in 2010, we reflect on the changes that digital and online sources and trends in automation are having on the industry.
The UK legal industry has witnessed quite a bit of change since our last survey was published in 2016, and as a result, we've overhauled many of our questions this year, so our survey better reflects the current and emerging needs of law firms.
We still focus on the top four legal products - Westlaw UK and Practical Law from Thomson Reuters, LexisLibrary and LexisPSL from LexisNexis.
We also select a theme every year for the research and this year's theme was understanding value. How value is determined by respondents was reflected in a number of characteristics, including whether a product saves time, reduces risk, helps staff stay current on the law, whether the vendor relationship is positive, how the product integrates into the workflow, works with other products, and whether the product works with internal content.
Although the legal industry can be slow to change, we have seen significant changes over the past 18 months in the way that knowledge and information services are delivered, with the adoption of a more diverse set of skills to meet the demands of the firm as well as the use of systems powered by artificial intelligence.
Management of digital content
One of the biggest changes we've seen since we first started studying UK legal purchasing needs and preferences in 2010 is the move from print to digital and there are still many pain-points reflected in this year's survey in relation to IT challenges, including authentication, sign-in and integration with systems, with most respondents wanting products that require minimal IT support.
Find out more
Jinfo's research into legal purchasing preferences and needs in the UK legal market makes interesting reading for information professionals and budget holders in firms which purchase legal sources and databases.
To see the full results of our 2018 survey, read Jinfo's "Research on UK legal purchasing preferences and needs 2018" (Subscription content).
If you don't have a Jinfo Subscription, find out more today.
- Blog post title: Emerging needs of law firms revealed in Jinfo's research
- Link to this page
- View printable version
- Q&A with HBR Consulting - meeting the demands of modern law firms
Monday, 23rd April 2018
- Market landscape - document review and AI
Monday, 23rd October 2017
- Research on UK legal purchasing preferences and needs 2016
Tuesday, 1st November 2016
Document the value chain, and transform the way you think about, manage and report on your product portfolio and your information service contributions to your organisation goals.
Director of Research Robin Neidorf describes the benefits of a Consulting Pilot on Value Chain, to tailor this process to your needs and environment:
- Research update - what's your focus in 2021?
Thursday, 7th January 2021
- Research update - peeking around the corner to 2021
Thursday, 17th December 2020
- Research update - what can you leverage in 2021?
Thursday, 3rd December 2020
- Product Review of Aurora FirstLight (value - purchasing, development and competitor landscape)
Thursday, 14th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (technology - search & user interface; outputs & alerts; administration)
Wednesday, 13th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (sources - content and coverage)
Tuesday, 12th January 2021
- Product Review of Aurora FirstLight
Monday, 11th January 2021
- Market landscape - patent products
Monday, 21st December 2020
- Product review of TRG Screen's Quest
Friday, 18th December 2020
- Negotiation clinic - role-play and Q&A (Community) Tuesday, 13th April 2021
- Usage data in contract negotiations (Community) Tuesday, 23rd March 2021
- Pricing models for information and data licensing (Community) Tuesday, 2nd March 2021
- Comparative product evaluation - breaking it down into manageable pieces (Webinar) Tuesday, 19th January 2021
- The importance of current awareness tracking (Webinar) Tuesday, 12th January 2021
- State of the Industry, 2021 (Webinar) Tuesday, 5th January 2021
Our proven processes, resources and guidance will help your team make the shift from transaction centre to strategic asset.
Designed around the most common challenges and pain points for time- and resource-strapped information teams
A tailored overview of our research and active discussion with your Jinfo analyst.
Measure your starting point to articulate your strengths and set priorities for future improvements. Assessments gauge risk, capacity, value and more.
Read case studies, and start the conversation: