Convince your stakeholders – information is an essential investment
Wednesday, 3rd November 2021
Far from a cost to be contained, licensed information products are in fact essential to core capabilities, leveraging knowledge, strengthening capabilities and enabling faster commercialisation. Jinfo’s next Community session looks at how to translate information ROI into stakeholder-ready language. Remember – without research, there is no R&D.
Preparations for a new client's kickoff workshop had me reviewing the organisation’s strategy headlines – the top-level view of guiding principles its leaders have laid out for the coming year.
One thing that struck me during this review was the emphasis in the documentation on cost containment, particularly for resources deemed secondary to core capabilities.
Cost containment is a worthy and necessary goal. But too often, senior stakeholders fail to recognise what information licensing professionals know:
"Licensed information products are in fact essential to core capabilities"
There is no R&D without research. The right information investment strategy will:
- Strengthen early-stage discovery in product development
- Leverage prior knowledge
- Foster efficient innovation
- Commercialise faster, with less risk and higher margins.
Information professionals must operate as the internal investment advisors to our senior stakeholders. To help them recognise and use us this way, we need to rise to the challenge of simplifying and quantifying ROI in a context they understand.
So, in our next Community session, "Investment philosophies for strategic portfolio management", we'll be looking at two client examples of how to translate information ROI into stakeholder-ready language.
You can join this session if your organisation is a Jinfo client. Click to register, or contact me at email@example.com to learn more about the full range of benefits you get as a Jinfo client.
"My stakeholders finally understand what we do" – Senior Information Manager, manufacturing industry
Work on information strategy in 2022 with Jinfo if you want to:
- Measure, communicate and improve the ROI of information
- Consistently dedicate time to strategy, despite competing demands
- Build on methods tested and proven in other organisations.
For more on how your organisation benefits and how to get started, check out our "Spotlight on strategy".
- There's no information strategy without stakeholder engagement
Wednesday, 1st December 2021
- Measure the impact of information with Value Chain analysis
Monday, 22nd November 2021
- You know more than you think you do
Tuesday, 16th November 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step five - your evolution work plan)
Wednesday, 11th August 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step four - assess your team’s characteristics)
Tuesday, 22nd June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step three - envision your Known Fors)
Thursday, 10th June 2021
- Community deck - negotiation role-play for content licensing professionals
Monday, 18th October 2021
- Community deck - teeing up value-based budget conversations for content licensing
Thursday, 30th September 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - make progress on your evolution, with your peers
Friday, 23rd July 2021
- Stakeholder engagement strategy – tips and tools (Community) Tuesday, 22nd February 2022
- Overcoming the barriers to progress on information strategy (Community) Tuesday, 11th January 2022
- Investment philosophies for strategic portfolio management (Community) Thursday, 2nd December 2021
- Value Chain (step five - putting the Value Chain together) (Webinar) Tuesday, 31st August 2021
- Value Chain (step four - measurement - selecting and collecting data) (Webinar) Monday, 30th August 2021
- Value Chain (step three - your contributions to the Value Chain) (Webinar) Friday, 27th August 2021