Jinfo Reviews PatSeer Premier - Easy & Intuitive Patents Searches
Thursday, 17th March 2016
Our product review of PatSeer Premier involved thorough scrutiny of sources, technology and value. Find out what we thought of this global patents database.
Innovation is on the rise in Asia. Of the world's most frequently cited research papers in science and engineering, increasing numbers include an author from China and we're starting to see more authors from India too.
If some of this research translates into published patents, it'll be even more important for patent databases to have decent coverage of the continent.
And that's where PatSeer Premier, the focus of the latest Jinfo product review, may have the edge over its rivals.
PatSeer Premier was launched in 2012 by Gridlogics - a provider which, alone among its competitors, is based in India. PatSeer is a global patent database covering more than 102 authorities, with 26 countries in full text and 10 languages translated into searchable English.
Another attraction is flexible pricing. PatSeer Premier is available on a quarterly or annual subscription, but the cut-down PatSeer Lite can be accessed on a daily or monthly basis. It has the same global coverage as Premier.
Projects and Searches
What PatSeer Lite lacks is the more advanced Projects facility, which enables you to share your research by email. As our reviewer Scott Vine explains, "The Projects function in PatSeer is a good way to collate sets of records for either further analysis or sharing with others. You can also import records from Excel files or Journals into a project."
In addition, searches can be combined. "I find this especially useful when trying to find either what records two or more searches have in common or which unique records appear in one search but not another," writes Scott.
PatSeer Premier is up against plenty of competition from major players in the US and Europe. On Jinfo we've previously brought you in-depth reviews of Innography, PatBase, LexisNexis TotalPatent, Questel ORBIT IP, PatentAdvisor and Thomson Innovation.
Find Out More
However, Gridlogics looks well prepared for the long haul. It plans to expand its full text coverage to 28 full text authorities and pledges to implement new features suggested by users. As Scott writes, "The platform they've used means that they can roll out improvements and enhancements quickly and easily and there is a strong sense of reacting to feedback effectively."
For the full review, including more details on pricing, search functions and analytical tools, read the full Product Review of PatSeer Premier.
- Blog post title: Jinfo Reviews PatSeer Premier - Easy & Intuitive Patents Searches
- Link to this page
- View printable version
Document the value chain, and transform the way you think about, manage and report on your product portfolio and your information service contributions to your organisation goals.
Director of Research Robin Neidorf describes the benefits of a Consulting Pilot on Value Chain, to tailor this process to your needs and environment:
- Research update - what's your focus in 2021?
Thursday, 7th January 2021
- Research update - peeking around the corner to 2021
Thursday, 17th December 2020
- Research update - what can you leverage in 2021?
Thursday, 3rd December 2020
- Mini review of M-Brain's Intelligence Plaza
Monday, 18th January 2021
- Product Review of Aurora FirstLight (value - purchasing, development and competitor landscape)
Thursday, 14th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (technology - search & user interface; outputs & alerts; administration)
Wednesday, 13th January 2021
- Product Review of Aurora FirstLight
Monday, 11th January 2021
- Market landscape - patent products
Monday, 21st December 2020
- Product review of TRG Screen's Quest
Friday, 18th December 2020
- Negotiation clinic - role-play and Q&A (Community) Tuesday, 13th April 2021
- Usage data in contract negotiations (Community) Tuesday, 23rd March 2021
- Pricing models for information and data licensing (Community) Tuesday, 2nd March 2021
- Comparative product evaluation - breaking it down into manageable pieces (Webinar) Tuesday, 19th January 2021
- The importance of current awareness tracking (Webinar) Tuesday, 12th January 2021
- State of the Industry, 2021 (Webinar) Tuesday, 5th January 2021
Our proven processes, resources and guidance will help your team make the shift from transaction centre to strategic asset.
Designed around the most common challenges and pain points for time- and resource-strapped information teams
A tailored overview of our research and active discussion with your Jinfo analyst.
Measure your starting point to articulate your strengths and set priorities for future improvements. Assessments gauge risk, capacity, value and more.
Read case studies, and start the conversation: