Jinfo for Banking & Finance
Tuesday, 24th May 2016
By Andrew Lucas
Optimising the efficiency of information departments within banking and finance is important given the crucial role played by data and other content in the operation of these businesses. The focus by Jinfo on assessing and developing the skills within information teams and on the ways in which IS and IT can work more effectively together provides vital reading for information managers in banking and finance who want to enhance the efficiency of their operation.
Data and business information is the lifeblood of banking and finance; it forms the basis of decision making for trading and investment.
According to Burton-Taylor International Consulting, the global spend on market data/analysis in 2015 was USD 26.63 billion, up 1.17% from 2014.
With this level of expenditure by market participants it is clearly vitally important that all those involved in managing information within these organisations are optimising their structures, operational efficiency and staff skills to ensure they are providing the best possible service outcomes.
Since we last reviewed areas of interest for information professionals in banking and finance, Jinfo has focused on two areas that can help ensure that information departments are working at peak efficiency:
- Assessing and developing the skills within information teams
- How technology and information groups can work more effectively together.
Jinfo has developed a framework that can be used to break down exactly what skills an information team has across the three key areas of Sources, Technology and Value.
Look to the Future
In developing these skills for the future there are three layers of analysis which can be adopted:
- Current Inventory
- And (based on US secretary of defence Donald Rumsfeld's famous, or infamous, remarks) "Known Unknowns"
- And "Great Unknowns".
Planning for unknowns is an important future information strategy. For example, areas such as data analytics are increasing in importance for organisations. Information professionals need to consider how they can harness their unique expertise to help the business navigate these areas, and also how they can expand their own skill set.
For banks and financial institutions any friction between information services and information technology can be costly if it means that the right people are not getting the right information. The Jinfo Research Focus, "Strategic Alignment of IS and IT" explored ways of ensuring that the objectives of both groups can be aligned and the friction removed.
A selection of the articles, reports and webinars which provide invaluable insights and practical advice into these areas can be found below, along with a number of in-depth product reviews.
If you have a Jinfo Subscription, you have access to all our Content. Click any link below to login to view, save or share any item, register for webinars, and download reports.
We publish research-based insights, facilitate peer-to-peer discussions on them, and offer consulting services to tailor those insights to your needs. Find the right Jinfo Subscription level to meet your needs.
Recent Subscription Content of particular interest to our customers in banking & finance:
- Diagnosing Your Information Team's Skills Gap
- Evolving Your Team's Skills in Source Expertise
- Seeing Technology as an Opportunity for Skills Development
- Taking an Entrepreneurial Approach to the Value Conversation
- Assessing and Progressing the Maturity of Your Information Services
- How KM and IT Can Get Along
- Case Study - Cargill Works in Tandem with IT & Strategy Teams
- Insider Knowledge - Researching South Africa (Non-Domestic Sources)
Product Reviews and Reports
- Product Review of Northern Light SinglePoint
- Product Review of LexisNexis Newsdesk
- Product Review of PrivCo
- Market Landscape - News Aggregators Covering Chinese Sources
- Market Landscape - Providers of SWOT Reports
- The Information Team with "The Right Stuff"
- What You Can "Own" and What You Can Influence
- Insights and Actions from the Research Focus "Strategic Alignment of IS and IT"
- Jinfo Research into Relationships Between IS and IT
- Model - How Mature is Your IS/IT Relationship?
Webinars - recordings available to view for anyone with a Jinfo Subscription
- Source Expertise and Your Value to the Business
- Shifting the Worldview around IS/IT Relationships: A First Step to Alignment
- Webinar: Three Ways to Influence Strategy with Source Expertise, 21st June
- Webinar: Why We Keep Talking About The News, 30th June
- View the full list of upcoming Webinars
- Community session: Elements of a Current Awareness Needs Assessment, 12th or 14th July
- Community session: Generalists or Specialists?, 15th June
- View the full list of upcoming Community sessions
Document the value chain, and transform the way you think about, manage and report on your product portfolio and your information service contributions to your organisation goals.
Director of Research Robin Neidorf describes the benefits of a Consulting Pilot on Value Chain, to tailor this process to your needs and environment:
- Research update - what's your focus in 2021?
Thursday, 7th January 2021
- Research update - peeking around the corner to 2021
Thursday, 17th December 2020
- Research update - what can you leverage in 2021?
Thursday, 3rd December 2020
- Mini review of M-Brain's Intelligence Plaza
Monday, 18th January 2021
- Product Review of Aurora FirstLight (value - purchasing, development and competitor landscape)
Thursday, 14th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (technology - search & user interface; outputs & alerts; administration)
Wednesday, 13th January 2021
- Product Review of Aurora FirstLight
Monday, 11th January 2021
- Market landscape - patent products
Monday, 21st December 2020
- Product review of TRG Screen's Quest
Friday, 18th December 2020
- Negotiation clinic - role-play and Q&A (Community) Tuesday, 13th April 2021
- Usage data in contract negotiations (Community) Tuesday, 23rd March 2021
- Pricing models for information and data licensing (Community) Tuesday, 2nd March 2021
- Comparative product evaluation - breaking it down into manageable pieces (Webinar) Tuesday, 19th January 2021
- The importance of current awareness tracking (Webinar) Tuesday, 12th January 2021
- State of the Industry, 2021 (Webinar) Tuesday, 5th January 2021
Our proven processes, resources and guidance will help your team make the shift from transaction centre to strategic asset.
Designed around the most common challenges and pain points for time- and resource-strapped information teams
A tailored overview of our research and active discussion with your Jinfo analyst.
Measure your starting point to articulate your strengths and set priorities for future improvements. Assessments gauge risk, capacity, value and more.
Read case studies, and start the conversation: