Why project management is an essential skill for information professionals
Friday, 18th May 2018
Almost half of all failed projects are caused by poor decision-making, so the importance of good project management (PM) skills, particularly for information professionals, is paramount, Yulia Aspinall explains.
According to research by the Project Management Institute, 47% of unsuccessful projects are impacted by poor decision-making. The slogan, "The right information delivered to the right people at the right time enables the right decision", highlights that it's possible to draw a parallel that in 47% of unsuccessful projects, the data/information/knowledge management was not efficient.
Project management (PM) skills are becoming must-have capabilities in a complex working environment. The need to manage tasks, projects and portfolios in order of business priorities cannot be done via emails or calendar reminders.
Software and practical steps
As part of Jinfo's Research Focus, "Benchmark information roles - Jinfo models of excellence", my article, "The importance of project management for visibility into capacity" looks at the importance of PM skills to the information professional and highlights some of the leading software available, along with some practical steps you can incorporate into your daily work.
Project management tools and software help to run projects more effectively from start to finish. As you might expect, there are many project management solutions on the market, from free online apps to enterprise-level solutions.
John Speaker, on the Workzone blog, listed "18 ways project management software can help you", dividing all benefits into three groups:
However, despite the plethora of packages available, the ideal solution, combining the highly customisable features specific for the individual or business, is probably still to come. For that reason, the process for PM software selection is very much the same as for any software. That is: developing the user requirement specification (URS), comparing several relevant solutions, and running a case study.
The state of health of the information flow in the organisation, from routine information enquiries through tasks, activities, projects, programme and workflow management to decision-making, is the responsibility of the information professional. Having PM skills, understanding people, processes and tools, and enabling organisational PM will, undoubtedly, allow information professionals to monitor and correct the health of information flow and provide invaluable strategic support to the business.
If you already have a Jinfo Subscription, log in and read more about project management in my article, "The importance of project management for visibility into capacity".
If you do not yet have a Jinfo Subscription, find out more and start yours today.
- Blog post title: Why project management is an essential skill for information professionals
- Link to this page
- View printable version
- The importance of project management for visibility into capacity
Thursday, 17th May 2018
- How to build a good issue tree for your research
Tuesday, 1st May 2018
- Using research frameworks to solve strategic questions
Monday, 16th April 2018
- Jinfo model - scaling services and capacity management
Tuesday, 19th June 2018
Document the value chain, and transform the way you think about, manage and report on your product portfolio and your information service contributions to your organisation goals.
Director of Research Robin Neidorf describes the benefits of a Consulting Pilot on Value Chain, to tailor this process to your needs and environment:
- Research update - what's your focus in 2021?
Thursday, 7th January 2021
- Research update - peeking around the corner to 2021
Thursday, 17th December 2020
- Research update - what can you leverage in 2021?
Thursday, 3rd December 2020
- Product Review of Aurora FirstLight (value - purchasing, development and competitor landscape)
Thursday, 14th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (technology - search & user interface; outputs & alerts; administration)
Wednesday, 13th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (sources - content and coverage)
Tuesday, 12th January 2021
- Product Review of Aurora FirstLight
Monday, 11th January 2021
- Market landscape - patent products
Monday, 21st December 2020
- Product review of TRG Screen's Quest
Friday, 18th December 2020
- Negotiation clinic - role-play and Q&A (Community) Tuesday, 13th April 2021
- Usage data in contract negotiations (Community) Tuesday, 23rd March 2021
- Pricing models for information and data licensing (Community) Tuesday, 2nd March 2021
- Comparative product evaluation - breaking it down into manageable pieces (Webinar) Tuesday, 19th January 2021
- The importance of current awareness tracking (Webinar) Tuesday, 12th January 2021
- State of the Industry, 2021 (Webinar) Tuesday, 5th January 2021
Our proven processes, resources and guidance will help your team make the shift from transaction centre to strategic asset.
Designed around the most common challenges and pain points for time- and resource-strapped information teams
A tailored overview of our research and active discussion with your Jinfo analyst.
Measure your starting point to articulate your strengths and set priorities for future improvements. Assessments gauge risk, capacity, value and more.
Read case studies, and start the conversation: