Managing Risk and Keeping Compliant - Free Resources for Info Hounds
Tuesday, 9th September 2014
Subscriptions to the risk & compliance databases offered by the "big three" are unaffordable for small organisations or self-employed researchers. Penny Crossland highlights some free resources from a variety of organisations and online sites.
Keeping abreast of the constantly changing regulatory environment is a challenging task for information professionals, especially for those of us working in Anti-Money Laundering (AML) or Know Your Customer (KYC) functions.
However, there is valuable, up-to-date and free information available from regulatory organisations, industry publications, practitioners, online forums and NGOs.
In some cases, the providers of expensive risk & compliance databases also provide useful free information and resources, which are worth bookmarking. Some of these I have discussed in my article on free online resources in the risk & compliance sphere here.
In this article I focus on another useful resource:
The Business Anti-Corruption Portal
Small companies, in particular, may find it difficult to find the resources and time to keep up with the regulatory environment and for these firms the Business Anti-Corruption Portal will be particularly useful.
The BAC portal is produced by a Danish organisation called Global Advice Network Integrity Solutions, a consultancy offering advice on anti-fraud and corruption strategies, with funding from the EU.
The portal is filled with a description of the key aspects of relevant legislation pertinent to businesses like the UK Bribery Act and the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, as well as global legislation like the OECD Convention on Combating Bribery.
More than 100 country profiles provide brief guides to the state of corruption, with links to relevant news. Where available, these useful guides also provide a breakdown of corruption levels within the various branches of the government.
So, for example, the profile on Tanzania analyses the level of corruption within the judicial system and the police and looks at corruption within the land, tax and customs administration in the country. Anti-corruption initiatives are highlighted and each profile includes resources such as the respective country's scoring on relevant indices.
The Tanzania snapshot provides the country's ranking in the Transparency International Corruption Index, the World Bank Corruption Index and the OECD Country Risk Classification.
Other BAC features worth highlighting include the Anti-Corruption Tools Inventory, with due diligence tools such as guides on how to vet contractors, consultants and joint venture partners.
I found the sector-specific resources very useful, which provide guidance on anti-corruption legislation, standards and initiatives for the banking, construction, defence and extractive industries, among others. Users are able to subscribe to a BAC Portal newsletter to keep up-to-date with business corruption news worldwide.
BAC provides training, and on the portal offers a free elearning module intended as an introduction to employees on bribery and corruption in the business environment.
Via practical scenarios and case studies, employees learn to understand the grey areas surrounding anti-corruption legislation and are made aware of prohibited behaviours in dealing with contractors or other business partners.
The BAC Portal is only one example of the myriad of resources available to KYC researchers on a limited budget. There are plenty of resources that can keep you well-informed of all changes and news in the risk & compliance sector and that can help you search for adverse news. It is merely a question of bookmarking the right sources.
This article is part of the FreePint Topic Series: What You Need to Know Your Customer (KYC) running from July-September 2014 which includes articles, reviews and expert tips. Register your interest now, and you'll also get a free PDF report with selected premium articles when it's published in September.
- Blog post title: Managing Risk and Keeping Compliant - Free Resources for Info Hounds
- Link to this page
- View printable version
- Why Compliant Bosses Need Info Pros - Some Cautionary Compliance Tales
Tuesday, 26th August 2014
- Due Diligence - from Business Burden to Business Benefit
Tuesday, 19th August 2014
- KYC Survey Findings from Dow Jones, KPMG and Thomson Reuters
Wednesday, 6th August 2014
- Product Review of Reg-Track (Introduction; Contact Details)
Tuesday, 22nd July 2014
- Compliance Costs Keep Rising, But So Do the Opportunities
Tuesday, 25th March 2014
- A Banking Utility Belt - a Brief Guide to Tools Available to Mitigate Risk
Wednesday, 6th November 2013
- More on KYC - Key Survey Themes, Outsourcing Drivers, Global and Regional Perspectives...
Tuesday, 19th August 2014
- Dow Jones' Risk & Compliance Portal Tackles Risk Assessment
Wednesday, 20th June 2012
Five newly recorded webinars on how to complete the activities in our Focus on Value Chain now available.
Express value the way stakeholders do with Value Chain analysis
"I can now sit in a meeting with my stakeholders and articulate the role information plays in their workflows. They understand our contribution to their success." Information Senior Scientist, heavy manufacturing industry
With Jinfo Consulting, you get accountability, fine-tuned guidance and industry-wide perspective.
- Capacity comes from strategy
Wednesday, 15th September 2021
- Tie portfolio value to commercial impact
Monday, 13th September 2021
- Theory, practice, and demonstrating ROI
Thursday, 9th September 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step five - your evolution work plan)
Wednesday, 11th August 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step four - assess your team’s characteristics)
Tuesday, 22nd June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step three - envision your Known Fors)
Thursday, 10th June 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - make progress on your evolution, with your peers
Friday, 23rd July 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - examples of Pillars of Service and Known Fors
Wednesday, 23rd June 2021
- Community deck - scorecards - how information teams are designing and using them
Wednesday, 2nd June 2021
- Investment philosophies for strategic portfolio management (Community) Thursday, 2nd December 2021
- Negotiation role-play for content licensing professionals (Community) Thursday, 7th October 2021
- Teeing up value-based budget conversations for content licensing (Community) Tuesday, 21st September 2021
- Value Chain (step five - putting the Value Chain together) (Webinar) Tuesday, 31st August 2021
- Value Chain (step four - measurement - selecting and collecting data) (Webinar) Monday, 30th August 2021
- Value Chain (step three - your contributions to the Value Chain) (Webinar) Friday, 27th August 2021
Our proven processes, resources and guidance will help your team make the shift from transaction centre to strategic asset.
Designed around the most common challenges and pain points for time- and resource-strapped information teams
A tailored overview of our research and active discussion with your Jinfo analyst.
Measure your starting point to articulate your strengths and set priorities for future improvements. Assessments gauge risk, capacity, value and more.
Read case studies, and start the conversation: