Corruption, Crime and Compliance
Thursday, 4th September 2014
By Andrew Lucas
Andrew Lucas highlights some of the latest articles in the FreePint Topic Series: What You Need to Know Your Customer (KYC). With the risk of prison for due diligence and KYC failures, we look at how information professionals can help mitigate the risks as well exploring the due diligence process. We also identify some of the best free online resources that you can use for undertaking KYC due diligence.
The responsibility imposed on business by compliance regulations continues to be underlined by enforcement actions.
Commenting on the outcome of the recent Innospec Indonesian leaded fuel corruption case, in which former senior executives received prison sentences, Ben Morgan, joint head of bribery and corruption at the UK Serious Fraud Office, observes in a Legal Week blog that, "The comfort, distance and apparent safety of the boardroom is indistinguishable from any other environment in which crime is committed, and is just as capable of resulting in a custodial sentence."
Stay Out of Jail Card
How information professionals can help management avoid some of the pitfalls that can result in a jail sentence was explored by Tim Buckley Owen in his article Why Compliant Bosses Need Info Pros - Some Cautionary Compliance Tales.
The article forms part of the FreePint Topic Series: What You Need to Know Your Customer (KYC) which is running from July through to the end of September.
Spotting Corrupt Third Parties
Other recent articles in Topic Series include an excellent overview by Mark Dunn, the due diligence segment leader for Risk & Compliance at LexisNexis, of the law regarding Anti-Money Laundering and Anti-Bribery & Corruption.
The article, Due Diligence - from Business Burden to Business Benefit, also looks at how organisations can mitigate the risk of becoming involved in corruption through third parties (e.g. agents and suppliers) by implementing a Simplified or Enhanced Due Diligence process.
In his article Mark describes what the typical KYC due diligence process looks like and provides some useful tips on creating a robust and consistent due diligence process.
Free Know Your Customer Resources
Whether you outsource your KYC function or carry it out in-house, Penny Crossland's article looking at some of the free online resources that you can use for undertaking KYC due diligence makes a very interesting read.
In Risk & Compliance - Free Online Resources, Penny provides an overview of, amongst others, KYC360.com, KYCProfessionals.com, The Wall Street Journal's Risk & Compliance Journal, FATF and Transparency International.
Still to come in the Topic Series is an update of the FreePint Product Review of Bureau van Dijk's Compliance Catalyst where Chris Porter, co-producer of this Topic Series, will be taking a look at the enhancements made to the product over the last year. We'll conclude the series with a vendor market overview.
This article is part of the FreePint Topic Series: What You Need to Know Your Customer (KYC) running from July-September 2014 which includes articles, reviews and expert tips. Register your interest and you'll also get a free PDF report with selected premium articles when it's published in September.
- Blog post title: Corruption, Crime and Compliance
- Link to this page
- View printable version
- Risk & Compliance - Free Online Resources
Monday, 1st September 2014
- Why Compliant Bosses Need Info Pros - Some Cautionary Compliance Tales
Tuesday, 26th August 2014
- Due Diligence - from Business Burden to Business Benefit
Tuesday, 19th August 2014
- Product Review of BvD Compliance Catalyst: Introduction, Value and FreePint's View
Monday, 19th August 2013
- Due Diligence - Fighting Corruption
Tuesday, 26th August 2014
- More on KYC - Key Survey Themes, Outsourcing Drivers, Global and Regional Perspectives...
Tuesday, 19th August 2014
- Regulatory Compliance - Relevant FreePint Resources
Friday, 15th August 2014
Five newly recorded webinars on how to complete the activities in our Focus on Value Chain now available.
Express value the way stakeholders do with Value Chain analysis
"I can now sit in a meeting with my stakeholders and articulate the role information plays in their workflows. They understand our contribution to their success." Information Senior Scientist, heavy manufacturing industry
With Jinfo Consulting, you get accountability, fine-tuned guidance and industry-wide perspective.
- Capacity comes from strategy
Wednesday, 15th September 2021
- Tie portfolio value to commercial impact
Monday, 13th September 2021
- Theory, practice, and demonstrating ROI
Thursday, 9th September 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step five - your evolution work plan)
Wednesday, 11th August 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step four - assess your team’s characteristics)
Tuesday, 22nd June 2021
- Centre of Excellence (step three - envision your Known Fors)
Thursday, 10th June 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - make progress on your evolution, with your peers
Friday, 23rd July 2021
- Community deck - Centre of Excellence - examples of Pillars of Service and Known Fors
Wednesday, 23rd June 2021
- Community deck - scorecards - how information teams are designing and using them
Wednesday, 2nd June 2021
- Investment philosophies for strategic portfolio management (Community) Thursday, 2nd December 2021
- Negotiation role-play for content licensing professionals (Community) Thursday, 7th October 2021
- Teeing up value-based budget conversations for content licensing (Community) Tuesday, 21st September 2021
- Value Chain (step five - putting the Value Chain together) (Webinar) Tuesday, 31st August 2021
- Value Chain (step four - measurement - selecting and collecting data) (Webinar) Monday, 30th August 2021
- Value Chain (step three - your contributions to the Value Chain) (Webinar) Friday, 27th August 2021
Our proven processes, resources and guidance will help your team make the shift from transaction centre to strategic asset.
Designed around the most common challenges and pain points for time- and resource-strapped information teams
A tailored overview of our research and active discussion with your Jinfo analyst.
Measure your starting point to articulate your strengths and set priorities for future improvements. Assessments gauge risk, capacity, value and more.
Read case studies, and start the conversation: