Jinfo for content purchasing
Wednesday, 18th July 2018
Content purchasing and licensing is an essential plank of information and research services. Here Jinfo's director of research, Robin Neidorf, discusses key challenges such as negotiating prices and measuring and communicating value. She also curates Jinfo's most relevant recent articles, reports and reviews for people responsible for buying content and content products.
If you're responsible for content purchasing and licensing in your organisation, here are the latest Jinfo insights and resources for you:
We recently convened the first of a set of three Community sessions designed to dig into "Whole-portfolio strategy and management". During our introductions, the watchword was "negotiations" - definitely a common theme for the 15+ content purchasers participating in the series.
They want to investigate the challenges of negotiations, particularly when:
- A given product is the only source for a certain type of information
- Venture capital has recently been introduced... and prices are soaring
- You want to reset the relationship as more of a partnership.
You can find countless high-quality resources, training programmes and coaches to develop negotiating skills, but Jinfo provides the focus on tips and tricks of particular use for negotiating in our industry. The next Community session of "Jinfo for content purchasing" (6th August) will offer a forum for exactly that.
Beyond the basics to ROI and value
The best content procurement teams challenge themselves - and their stakeholders - to find ever more meaningful ways to measure and communicate value. You won't want to miss Bill Noorlander's insightful commentary, "Measuring ROI for information services and professionals - an alternative point of view", for a top-down analysis of the state of the industry for determining ROI, along with some practical suggestions for improving your own efforts.
Jantinus Meints leads what Jinfo has long considered one of the most effective global procurement teams. You can learn about his management philosophy in this Q&A with him, and then get further flavour on his leadership style through the notes produced from a Community session in which he presented on "setting aside time for strategy" (sign in on that page with your MyJinfo credentials to download the notes).
Then try your hand at evaluating your current capability for running a value-based operation and get practical suggestions on how to improve, by using our "Jinfo model - maturity model for value-based operations". You can explore these ideas with your peers by joining our 26th July Community session, "Using Jinfo's model for value basis for operations to improve your service".
Tools + intelligence
A recurring theme in Jinfo's research of 2018 is to balance the power of human intellect with the power of technology - select and use the right technology and tools to take care of elements of content purchasing and free up your brain for strategic thinking.
We see this theme in our current Research Focus, "Benchmark information roles - Jinfo models of excellence", in which a number of recent market landscapes describe options for subscription management, query management and other tasks.
Get further insight on this topic in our 23rd August webinar, "State of the industry for automation".
Find out how Jinfo supports content purchasing
Jinfo resources support content purchasing with original research, product reviews, market landscapes, Q&As with vendors and more. If you have a Jinfo Subscription, you have access to all our Content; if your account includes Community access, you also have access to upcoming Community sessions and the notes from previous sessions.
We publish research-based insights, facilitate peer-to-peer discussions on them and offer consulting services to tailor those insights to your needs. Learn more about the benefits of a Jinfo Subscription.
Recent Subscription resources of particular interest to our customers involved with content purchasing:
- Guide to value in the Jinfo Research Focus on benchmarking models
- Jinfo benchmarking research (part 4 - strategy, value and vendors)
- Creating the conditions for information centre success
- Jinfo benchmarking research (part 2 - structure and department services)
- Q&A with Clarivate Analytics - a leading source of quality curated research content and tools
- How to optimise resources and influence your content budget
- Establishing meaningful usage metrics for benchmarking
- Q&A with African Journals OnLine - increasing the visibility of African research
- Measuring ROI for information services and professionals - an alternative point of view
- Guide to value in the Jinfo Research Focus "The information team with the right stuff"
- Q&A with EY - managing a multinational information team
- Market landscape - enquiry management systems
- Market landscape - Clarivate Analytics
- Market landscape - managing subscriptions
- Market landscape - private equity/venture capital resources
- Market landscape - outsourcing services
- Market landscape - company information sources
- Market landscape - continuing education programmes
- Market landscape - market research report providers
- Jinfo benchmarking research 2018
- Jinfo model - maturity model for value-based operations
- Jinfo model - scaling services and capacity management
- Research Focus Insights and Actions "The information team with the right stuff"
- Jinfo research - rethinking the role of information teams
- Product walkthrough - Evalueserve's Researchstream
- Product review of NewsEdge from Acquire Media
- Mini review of TIBCO Spotfire
- Product review of RefTracker from Altarama
- Product review of InfoNgen
- Product review of AlphaSense
- Product review of M-360
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight
- Product review of DrugPatentWatch
Recordings and decks available; sign-in to access:
- Intelligence platforms - overcome platform perplexity with our panel discussion
- Identifying your team's skill gaps
- The unique role of information professionals in an AI age
Upcoming, register now:
- 19th July 2018: Practical applications of Jinfo's 2018 benchmarking research
- 27th Sept 2018: Shedding light on how to measure value
Deck and speaker notes available; sign-in to access:
- Setting aside time for strategy
- Jinfo for content purchasing - holistic management + your burning issues
Upcoming, register now:
- 26th July 2018: Using Jinfo's model for value basis for operations to improve your service
- 6th August 2018: Jinfo for content purchasing - holistic management + your burning issues
- 5th September 2018: Jinfo for information strategy - "get with the programme" + your burning questions
Improve your negotiation position, measure performance of your portfolio of external content, and communicate more effectively with stakeholders.
A Jinfo Subscription gets you access to activity-based content to move your projects forward, plus dynamic peer group discussions on meaty topics.
- Enhancements to the Jinfo website
Thursday, 21st January 2021
- Research update - what matters most to smart information managers
Thursday, 21st January 2021
- Research update - what's your focus in 2021?
Thursday, 7th January 2021
- Mini review of M-Brain's Intelligence Plaza
Monday, 18th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (value - purchasing, development and competitor landscape)
Thursday, 14th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight (technology - search & user interface; outputs & alerts; administration)
Wednesday, 13th January 2021
- Product review of Aurora FirstLight
Monday, 11th January 2021
- Market landscape - patent products
Monday, 21st December 2020
- Product review of TRG Screen's Quest
Friday, 18th December 2020
- Negotiation clinic - role-play and Q&A (Community) Tuesday, 13th April 2021
- Usage data in contract negotiations (Community) Tuesday, 23rd March 2021
- Pricing models for information and data licensing (Community) Tuesday, 2nd March 2021
- Comparative product evaluation - breaking it down into manageable pieces (Webinar) Tuesday, 19th January 2021
- The importance of current awareness tracking (Webinar) Tuesday, 12th January 2021
- State of the Industry, 2021 (Webinar) Tuesday, 5th January 2021
Our proven processes, resources and guidance will help your team make the shift from transaction centre to strategic asset.
Designed around the most common challenges and pain points for time- and resource-strapped information teams
A tailored overview of our research and active discussion with your Jinfo analyst.
Measure your starting point to articulate your strengths and set priorities for future improvements. Assessments gauge risk, capacity, value and more.
Read case studies, and start the conversation: